1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What features would make you jump ship?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by beamsley, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Todd Bonzalez

Todd Bonzalez Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh yeah, Toyota will know what spec sells in which market. I've got no doubt it's more widely available elsewhere in the EU. We're 27 countries that have taxed car ownership in many, many different ways over the years...you can still see the effect of this today in the available specs in different countries.

I don't know how it works in other EU countries but I'd imagine they're similar to Ireland...

If your employer gives you a car you're allowed to take home and use as if it were your own, that's a taxable perk called "benefit in kind" (BIK). The rate at which the employee's taxed depends on the CO2 emissions, so the difference between 1.8 and 2.0 emissions could be 30% and 35% (as a hypothetical example).

A gas (petrol :)) company car would be highly unusual though. Diesel is the norm as employers can claim back the value-added tax (VAT) on the cost, although the government is supposedly using tax law to encourage EV uptake.

That's the high-level view. I'm not an accountant or tax lawyer so I might have missed something...but you get the idea

#121 Todd Bonzalez, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    Zythryn and Trollbait like this.
  2. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel

Eire (Southern Ireland) is still considered EU
    However northern Ireland wales scotland england (uk) are not.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We had few examples in which to compare here, but the additional cost of a hybrid was close to that of a diesel.

Todd Bonzalez likes this.
  4. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Quite likely. Like anything tax-related, it's a complex area

I had one company car in my life, and it wasn't worth it in terms of the tax I paid. Some people see a company car as some kind of status symbol though. Good luck to them :LOL:

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if prius is going upscale, it had better have much nicer surfaces and seats, and be much quieter

MBurch likes this.
  6. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too bad other counties get a corolla hybrid hatch back and not the usa. Bet it would sell like hot cakes over hereā€¦even with the gene 4 engine. But, what a hoot it would be if it used the gen 5 engine :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Todd Bonzalez

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My previous response to you unfortunately seems to have been deleted.

Anyway, my New Year resolution is to not suffer fools gladly so...thanks for the pointless insight and welcome to the ignore list (y)