1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What fell down under my Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Beccajaya, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Beccajaya

Beccajaya New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2008 Prius. We bought it new - first new car ever and I joked I'd drive it till the wheels fall off....well 182K later... Last night I'm doing about 65 on the freeway and there is a horrible grinding noise, smoke starts billowing and the wheel is jitteriness like I blew a tire. I get to the shoulder and get out to see that there is no flat tire. I looked under the car and there appears to be something hanging down from the engine area. When the tow truck came, the driver said it would roll in park and that the transmission was shot. It is now sitting in my driveway, we've had estimates to replace the transmission from $2200 (used with 70K on it) to $5500 new from the dealer. Kkb isn't only about $3000. When I try to push it, it doesn't roll. Does anyone have any ideas? image.jpeg

2. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    cant tell but it looks like the exhaust system, take a picture from the side of the car by the tire, get on the ground and point the camera up with flash..its not physically possible for a transmission to fall out of a car no matter what Billy Bob told you.

if the car goes into gear and moves on its own even a few feet its not the transmission..odds are he put it in neutral to push it, if you cant push it in park neither did he.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the wheels fell off.:cool:

but seriously folks, did you get any dashboard lights? what happens when you press the power button, does it become ready? does the engine start? other than the scraping, does it move in d and r?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A nice photo of the OP's driveway surface. We need better photos of the car's underside, if the OP expects a reasonable answer to his/her query. In particular, what do the transaxle and half shafts connected to the front wheels look like.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That $2200 used transxle option sounds like a winner! But I don't think I've heard of any people mentioning their transaxle has fallen off while driving......this is a first

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is likely that a mount which holds the engine/transaxle to the body has failed. If that mount is replaced, that may be all that is required. This is why we need some decent photos.

7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is that the oil pan we're looking at.? OP we need more pics

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there an exhaust shield?

9. Beccajaya

Beccajaya New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the bad photo and late reply. When I turn it on it starts all dash lights come on, maint req light blinks. Engine runs and sounds normal until I put it in drive and let out break, horrible rumbling grinding sound ensues. I shut it off quick. Here's a better photo more car less driveway. image.jpeg

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about opening up the hood so you can look at the mounts holding the engine to the body. If you see anything interesting, take more photos.

I think you should have the car towed to your local Toyota dealership or a competent hybrid independent for a diagnosis. It looks like an engine mount has failed which is causing the engine oil pan to sag down. That would cause the transaxle to be out of alignment relative to the half shafts connected to the wheels, and when you try to drive the car, a half shaft may be hitting something to cause the noise that you are hearing.

valde3 likes this.
  11. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    never seen that before..looks like a mounting bracket failed ..maybe Toyota will absorb some of the cost if you contact customer care..( im sure their toll free number is somewhere on line)

12. Beccajaya

Beccajaya New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! That's what we will do first thing Monday.

13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BTW: I'm sure, Patrick meant flat-bed rather than tow! Good luck!

Jees! ...an ancient post! ...almost as old as me!!! ...apols!

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah likely all sorted by now, but would there be any harm in towing, with front end in the air? I'm thinking it's ok.

15. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!!!

Mendel Leisk likes this.