1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Form(s) of Waste, or Excessive Use of Resources, Gall You Most?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by ghostofjk, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Swampthing

Swampthing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    People who waste a perfectly good ashtray by throwing their burning cigarette butts out the window...

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it from a time traveller who's been <strike>there</strike> then...if you think bottled water is bad, wait until we have to buy bottled air.

3. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ackk...I hate all the cleaning supplies that've become disposable...disposable cleaning wipes, disposable dish wipes, disposable toilet wands, disposable furniture polish wipes, disposable dusters...it seems that every time I watch a commercial, I see a new "disposable" cleaning item. What happened to sponges, old t-shirts, scrub brushes, and dish towels as cleaners?

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i totally agree with the disposable cleaning supplies. i think the disposable toilet wand is what set me off.

i set my computer to use all its power saving features when idle. it works great for me anyway.

5. wstander

wstander New Member

Yep, those have to be the worst.

We have taken to only buying those cleaning items like cloth that can be bleached in the regular washing cycle (low water and energy star, of course)

Another is those large volume lawn sprinklers that spray in to the air...We irrigate 37 trees and no lawn on our 1/2 acre using drip emitter irrigation on a 3 day computerized cycle.

After all, SoCal was a desert long before I got here;-)

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 20 2006, 08:20 PM) [snapback]274406[/snapback]</div>
    I know for my company, only the network drives are backed up periodically. A few others turn their computers off when they leave work too. We do not have any computer related issues. The company PCs take less than 30 second to boot up, so I don’t see any reasons to leave them on.

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Beef. It takes 10 pounds of edible grain protein to produce 1 pound of beef. Not an efficient use of land or agricultural resources in a world growing hungrier by the week. Whole tracts of (CO2 reducing) forests have been cut to provide land for grazing beef cattle so that McD's can "serve billions". I know a significant percentage of the world's population does not have enough to eat. Measured against that, our McDonald's junk food-on-demand culture is an obscenity.

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Racing vehicles that use fossil fuels, and create massive amounts of noise pollution as well, like, oh, say, NASCAR.

And:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 20 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]274455[/snapback]</div>
    I'm all for recycling here--I got one 18 year-old boy I'd be more than willing to donate to some needy household. AND, it'd be a great deal--he's already the replacement for 3 (mom, dad & stepmom, with only the one offspring among us)--he could do better than that! :rolleyes:

9. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Excessive electric lighting!

After switching all our home lighting to compact fluorescents, its aggravating to see how much electricity is wasted when lights are left on overnight in empty buildings, advertising signs kept ablaze for stores that are closed, and gas stations with enough illumination to rival the Sun! Why do we Amercians have this obsession to light everything in a neon haze and then complain when the power companies raise our electric rates?

Gosh dim it! :angry:

10. KathyY

KathyY Member

People (my husband is one of them) who have to print out every e-mail or on-line article to read them. Also, inablity to consolodate errands in the car. I learned how to do that the year that my husband was stationed elsewhere thanks to the Army. I also remember doing that back during one of the early gas crisis times. I hate that we are teaching our children and grandchildren to be such a disposable society. My daughter is going back to glass storage containers rather than plastic and always tries to take cloth bags to the grocery store where the clerks look at her like she is crazy.

11. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Junk mail (the postal kind). Fortunately we seem to have a much better handle on email spam these days. I'd like to see a similar filters available to effectively block unwanted postal junk mail.

12. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 29 2006, 05:57 AM) [snapback]278502[/snapback]</div>
    Uh oh.....

I better duck and run for cover....... :D

(although I am an NHRA and IHRA guy rather than NASCAR which I find boring.....)