1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happened to James A Sikes - the Runaway Prius?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by toyolover, Aug 3, 2010.

1. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    So many months have passed by with the runaway Prius in California. I am wondering what happened to James A. Sikes who was being charged back in March. Did California drop the charge? Did Toyota paid him to close this case? Anyone knows?

2. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think that he was determined to be a liar... but I am not able to find hard proof of that, as such, here is what I did find, on the Wiki:

James Sikes alleged unintended acceleration case

On March 8, 2010, a 2008 Prius allegedly uncontrollably accelerated to 94 miles per hour on a California Highway (US), and the Prius had to be stopped with the verbal assistance of the California Highway Patrol as news cameras watched.[152] The incident received national news coverage, with initial reporting including inaccurate information about the event, such as the claim that a CHP car was used to physically block Sikes' vehicle.[153][154] Subsequent investigations uncovered suspicious information about the alleged runaway Prius driver, 61-year old James Sikes, including being US$19,000 behind in his Prius car payments and with $US700,000 in accumulated [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt"]debt[/ame].[155][156] Sikes stated he wanted a new car as compensation for the incident.[155][157] Analyses by Edmunds.com and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes"]Forbes[/ame] found Sikes' acceleration claims and fears of shifting to neutral implausible, with Edmunds concluding that "in other words, this is BS",[158] and Michael Fumento in Forbes analyzing Sikes's claims related to the mechanics of his Prius and his own contradictions, such as saying he didn't want to take his hands off the steering wheel to shift into neutral even though he held a cell phone in his hand almost the entire time, comparing it to the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_boy_hoax"]balloon boy hoax[/ame].[156] Further government investigator tests on Sikes's Prius reportedly showed that the brake wear were consistent with intermittent braking, not constant hard braking as he claimed.[159] Sikes also reportedly had a history of false police reports, suspect insurance claims, theft and fraud allegations, and television aspirations.[155] These findings raised questions about "the credibility of Mr. Sikes' reporting of events" in a Congressional memo.[160]

This was all found here: 2009

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I doubt he will be charged unless he tries a lot harder to extort Toyota.

Toyota wouldn't want the publicity of Sikes extending his 15 minutes of fame, and the state won't waste resources trying to nail him with a false 911 call.

Just look at the clueless people here that believe Sikes.:eek: The chances of a jury conviction are very slim.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sikes gave up his Prius for a Cube, which has recently been recalled for a fuel leak problem. ;)

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I heard that in an act of self flagellant remorse over a badly executed attempt at fraud he purchased a Nissan Cube and is now spending his time cleansing seabirds of Oil Spill damage using Dawn Liquid Soap and micro-fiber towels imprinted with the words "Sorry Toyota".

But my sources are often wrong.

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since he was driving a Prius Gen II, I believe this has been discussed...in the correct sub-forum! :D

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think the same as the earlier poster, that Toyota will not pursue Sikes for fraud to avoid anti-japanese backlash. Unfortunate, really.

8. ThePriusMan.com

ThePriusMan.com Waiting for my Prius

Portland Oregon - No Global Warming Here!
    Model:
    II
    He's $700,000 in debt and someone gave him a new car loan for over 19k? No wonder why banks are suffering, bad loans...

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This catch all forum is appropriate because there is no Dirtbag forum.;)

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To quote the song: "Why don't you just f-f-f-fade away."

11. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! That's one way to stop unintended acceleration ... run out of fuel due to a leak.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's the problem with those darned hybrids: you run out of fuel and they *still* keep accelerating. Your only recourse is to aim for a blind pedestrian.

Tom

2 people like this.
  13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I smell gas, better light a match, it's dark in here!!:eek:

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. He was $19,000 behind in payments. The loan is probably more than $19k (Assuming he did pay some)