1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens after the XM trial period?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Judgeless, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    SHHHHH:thumb: Car in severice end of August

What traffic info?
    Not that there is traffic in Cobourg :D

But do go in to Toronto every once in a while

2. green curry expert

green curry expert New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about traffic as I don't have the original nav. Good to hear it's still working for you. I know some Garmins (the handheld ones) have free lifetime traffic. I wonder when they'll have that for the Prius.

XM needs to give me a good deal for me the keep the service. I like a few channels, but I don't think it's worth the $15/month they are charging here in Canada. When they give me a call I'll ask about that 'priuschat' deal.

3. paulemus

paulemus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I still have the free trial period, and listening to it, I thought that gee, wouldn't it be great for my 86-year-old mom in bed most of the time? So I went to Radio Shack and got the boom box and she listens to Sinatra, 40's, classic radio dramas, etc. But I'm not sure I would use it that much, even with the second radio deal.

4. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got the traffic icon that pops up on the left with 3 white cars, but I have never once seen a traffic incident in Vancouver or Seattle. Is it really on?!?!?!?!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah plus extra for traffic (the price isn't posted the last time I checked).

I tihnk it's available for Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa according to XM's site

They're there but for Vancouver, we don't get traffic flow, just traffic incidents. I have seen traffic incident icons but because the nav didn't take me down that street, I couldn't check if it'll actually tell me that there's an incident on route.

Seattle should have traffic flow and traffic incident.

6. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of curiosity - do you remember where in Vancouver you saw the traffic incident icon? I have yet to see one at all. I know the xmradio traffic map shows that they cover many major streets in Vancouver, but I just never got the icon!

On the drive down to Seattle there were several major flow backups on the I-5, and it didn't warn me once.

Doesn't seem like a very high value feature to me (or perhaps mine just isn't working correctly?).

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Granville downtown.

I'm not sure where XM gets their data. It depends on how quickly they get it (if they get it at all). Again, I don't know how the data is retrieved (whether it's through the DOT or city cams or radio reports etc).

1 person likes this.
  8. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting! I'll have to check carefully driving around downtown. I wonder if it has all of the Olympic closures at least?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL. Let me know if you suddenly see a lot of "Detour" icons on your nav hahaha.

10. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at it yesterday and didn't see a single one! Not very useful traffic feature around Vancouver nowadays with so many road closures that aren't reported!

I wonder if the Olympic police that turn you away at the closed roads would accept the explanation, "My Prius says this is the right way to go. You HAVE to let me through." I suppose not, eh?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol no. Again, it depends on where its getting its data. Lemme see if I can browse around and find that out.

Ok so it uses Navteq traffic. Here's the coverage. Note that only Toronto has traffic flow information.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and... going to the Navteq site only shows USA and Europe traffic info.

12. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, nice maps- link please???

13. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for those maps, Tideland. I'll keep my eye open for any sign of any traffic warning. I'm starting to wonder if there is a problem with mine, as I didn't get a single warning anyplace in Vancouver or Seattle at all - areas that are supposed to be covered.

Or perhaps the coverage of incidents is just really really bad in this part of the world! Oh well.....

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time of day matters to (5am-7pm according to those maps)

16. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tested it today and head towards the Olympic shutdown area downtown. No warning, nothing. It told me to drive right through the barricade! Oh well....

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess no one told them about the Olympic closures!

18. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

My subscription expired today.... I drove the car this morning and all I had was one channel, some weather channel (147,or247).
    Anyway I called them this afternoon and got the $77 + deal. They told me to: sometime in the next 3hrs, to set the car out of the garage, turn on the sat. radio, tune to channel one and leave it on for 15 minutes. I did that and afterwards I tried several presets I have and for some reason I only have, (as you've said in your post above), one "bank" of satellite radio.......where during the trial period I had three banks of satellite radio available for making presets. I also pressed the button which is labeled: SAT/AM, and instead of giving me banks 1,2,& 3 of satellite radio, it just toggles between SAT 1, and AM. What has happened here???, Will this straighten out with time?? :confused:
    urlyadopr....... did you ever get this figured out? Sounded like you had the same situation. Or have you not subscribed?

19. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Forget the previous post. Have gotten the CURE what ever it is. I guess "time heals all". Just took the car out again before putting it away and ALL THREE BANDS are there. I guess the total "re-incarnation" was not completed previously this afternoon. So maybe the multiple bands have more to do with XM than with the car radio. Maybe this will help someone else...?

20. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In service date Aug 29, still going strong:D