1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens during light pedal pressure braking?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BrickedKeyboard, May 28, 2018.

1. BrickedKeyboard

BrickedKeyboard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So if you bring up the "driving efficiency" screen, there's a CHG indicator that indicates how much regen is happening. Let off the accelerator and there is a small amount of regen. At higher speeds, slight pedal pressure will fill this bar up.

I know that regen is inefficient in this car, losing a significant fraction of the energy. But what I wonder is, if I am barely on the brake and the CHG bar is 50% or 95%....is any of the energy getting wasted through the brake pads? (which would be both wasting fuel and wearing your brake pads)

Does the system engage the mechanical brakes at the slightest pedal pressure or is there a sensor on that pedal the detects that pedal movement so regen can be activated first?

There are several ways they could have done it. On crude DIY EVs, people just put a sensor on the actual hydraulic brake line and use the pressure in the hydraulic system as a cue for the regen. This is inefficient because hydraulic pressure means some pad engagement.

Or they could have a separate sensor on the physical pedal, such that until you go down an inch or so there is no actual hydraulic brake engagement whatsoever.

Probably the most efficient way is how the Leaf does it, where lifting the accelerator = heavy regen. So you just use the regen to stop unless you are forced to use mechanical brakes by cars in front, which is a separate pedal. Shame the Leafs have embarassingly short ranges and air cooled batteries...

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Grit likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Why would it have to be anything as coarse as the ways you're suggesting? This is all done by software in computers: the one that controls the braking, the one that controls the battery and knows how much regen current it is able to accept from moment to moment, and the one that coordinates between the two, and they all communicate in real time.

Ultimately, the answer to your "what happens" question is "this":

[​IMG]

(with some further discussion over here to clarify what's being shown there).

Efforts to simplify it even more than that would be overlooking that thing Einstein may have said.

-Chap

Mendel Leisk and Grit like this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #searchfeaturedeletemod

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    people with scan gauges have reported light caliper application with the beginning of braking, along with heavy regen, and the the two switching places as more deal pressure is applied.

most efficient method is to anticipate stopping as early as possible, and using glide and/or foot off the gas pedal regen as long as possible.

6. BrickedKeyboard

BrickedKeyboard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's how it would work in an ideal world. However, there is the additional factor that the actual brake pedal is connected to a mechanical backup system and it must work even if the computer has completely failed. Hence I wonder how it actually works, not how it should work.

That is about what I figured.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those graphs, and the further discussion I linked to, did not come from "an ideal world", they came from the Toyota New Car Features manual for the Prius, which is the one where they tell you how it actually works. No should about it. It also explains exactly how the hydraulic failsafe system fits in, if that interests you.

It is important to look at the right NCF for your Prius generation; there were significant brake system changes between all the first three generations. (I'm not saying there weren't for the 4th gen, I just haven't boned up on that brake system yet.)

-Chap

8. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I believe that the light caliper is ultra light and is done so that the caliper can be applied as soon as it is needed. The light caliper application must not cause much friction/wear. If it did we would not get the extremely long life out of our brake pads that we do.

bisco likes this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A member here once replied to a reply of mine saying "that's an assumption." If the comment above aint then I don't know what is :p

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think he is confusing conversion losses, like when the ICE charges the battery and recapturing energy through regenerative braking. If you don't recapture energy when slowing down, you lose it, so it is not inefficient in the way that that term is usually used.

Grit likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Energy will never be completely 100% utilized when driving against weather, tires, terrain, brake pads & etc.

Slightest brake pedal pressure, regen will always engage before brake pads engages rotor even if your speeding/gliding down hill the grapevine in southern California, with the help of techsteam. If not for that, Prius would have been complete failure.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's an assumption. :)

In this case, an assumption that depends on Prius generation (check the 2004 NCF manual for the changes in control logic between Gen 1 and Gen 2, for example).

-Chap

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've struggled with finding the best way to charge the traction battery, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Are you saying that gliding to a stop light is better for regen compared to using the brake? If so, I've been doing this incorrectly.

bisco likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    regen is not that efficient. the more you can anticipate stopping, no energy used or restored, the more efficient you will be. pulse and glide. of course, traffic does not always allow for this.

15. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let's say the traffic conditions allow for either a glide to a stop sign vs riding the brakes? The regen on the dashboard indicates that riding the brakes is better and that's all I have to go on. Is that misleading? Are you saying that braking really doesn't do much compared to other ways to replenish the traction battery?

16. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say that the braking does a lot, but may not be the best use of the kinetic energy the moving car has. There will always be heat losses in regeneration. So, the farther you can coast without any regeneration, the better ... UNLESS ... If you coast too close to the place you have to stop and end up braking harder than you would have otherwise, you may be wasting your coasting gains. The ultimate would be to coast with no regen down to a stop. But who's got the patience or the perfect timing for that!

Still, compared to just using friction brakes like a gasser, regenerative braking is sheer wizardry. So, I just do my best to plan ahead so I brake as gently as traffic and practicality permit and praise the Lord that engineers have finally built something I've been wanting for at least 45 years.

MelonPrius and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's say your battery is 50% full as you see a stop light way off in the distance. if you let off the gas at the right time and press on it enough to get into glide mode, and coast up to the light, you arrive with 50%

if you use too much gas/electric, so that the battery goes somewhere below 50%, and have to use the brakes/regen to stop at the light, the battery will not recover to 50%, there's no free lunch.

it's like going up and down a hill. you lose more than you get back.