1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What happens when your other half drives the Prius (MPG)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by skibum, Sep 29, 2012.

1. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my wife drove my car twice to work when i needed her car for the hail damage estimate and repair. first trip was 50.x, which I was suprised and happy about her getting 50. but she complained it felt like it took forever to get to speed. so next time I put it in "normal" mode and she got 48.x. I get 70 and up to and from work much of the same roads. but again on and off switch driving, gas till the last second possible there is no coasting :)

2. Joshua

Joshua Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lets just say I dont put my fill ups on fuelly after she has driven it alot..lol

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here... and I like it that way!

That's exactly how my wife drive our other two vehicles (both SUV's).... After a very hard/short stop at a red light I occasionally make a comment like- "imagine what would happen if you had a brake line blowout?" The common response is "that wasn't a hard stop!".

4. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife has taken to the Prius. Her car is a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee. (Great for our tons of snow) She has seen the benefit of the Prius from a gas standpoint and uses it a few times a week. She does extremely well with it getting 57 to 60 indicated MPG. At times I try and hypermile the Jeep. Best I have seen is 22 MPG.

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what's so amazing about the Prius- Toyota has succeeded in creating a 'regular' car that gets 50mpg without hardly trying. The longer you have the Prius the more you appreciate all 'the little things' that Toyota engineered into this car. All the other car makers are still struggling to create something that Toyota has been producing for years now.

6. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm seeing the same thing... whenever my wife takes the Prius she gets 40-50 MPG and I'm usually closer to 50-60 MPG, but she doesn't try much either. However, we just got a 2012 hihy for her and she's showing a lot more interest in trying to increase the fuel economy. I'm interested to see how she does after she's been driving the hihy for a few months.

7. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've tried that and similar things with my girlfriend. Her response is something like, "if I have to pay for the next tank, you ain't gettin' any!" I also tried to just say no. Her response was, "you ain't gettin' any until I drive your car." Needless to say, I pay for the gas, I let her drive the car, and I let her drive it any way she wishes ... and I'm kept very happy, too. Gotta pick your fights at the right time. This ain't one of them.

Mike

8. PruisAz

PruisAz Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't even get my wife to record the gas amount and mileage at fillups on her own car. Its gonna be hard to break her in to this prius discipline doctrine...

9. kingka

kingka New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have had it for a week now and whenever anyone of us needs to go out for an errand or whatnot, it's always the Prius. It's technically her car, but I like driving it because I get more than 2x the MPG than my car. She's always asking me, "so when you turned the car off, what did you get?" So cute! She also texts me when she gets a really good one.

10. Tim Bender

Tim Bender Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The wife and I switched cars this week because her civic had a cel. Normally she pulls 48mpg indicated but this week was at 52 without trying. And I have to work hard too get those numbers on my commute

ThunderBolt ? 2

11. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife almost never drives the Prius because she hates the rear visibility so much. But when she does, I think she gets a little better MPG than I do, because on average she drives a bit more slowly.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is my wife's car. She regularly gets higher mpg numbers on both our vehicles because she drives like an old lady lol. I, on the other hand, need to accelerate moderately and not feel like ppl are going to drive right through my azz because I'm going too slow. ;)

13. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife considers the accelerator and brake to be on/off switches. (She doesn't read this forum, so I'm sure nothing bad could come of me saying that.) I almost always drive, not because I don't like her driving style (true) but on account of my being 195cm tall (6'5") and not fitting well in the non-high-adjustable passenger seat.
    In conditions where I would get, say, 4.0l/100km (59mpg) she would get 5.0l/100km (47mpg). To be fair, if she has driven some distance her FC is not too bad and the SOC would be 90% when she got out of the car... which made me wonder.
    My colleague had a GenII and used to get much better FC than her husband, even though she had a lead foot and he was very smooth. I suspect that he was so smooth that he was below the pulse zone most of the time whereas she was in or above the pulse zone.