1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Have I Done? (Cannot start or jump 2010 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by superdan54, Jan 15, 2017.

1. superdan54

superdan54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius III with an aftermarket stereo by Kenwood. I was having some problems with the speakers cutting out after driving for awhile so I opened it up to diagnose. I completely forgot to disconnect the negative terminal before disconnecting the stereo :(.

After plugging it back in it worked fine and got sound but then after a second time trying to power up, the dash lights all started flickering on and off, and so did the stereo. I then got a "There is a problem with the transmission 'P' lock mechanism" error. I attempted to restart a couple times but couldn't get it off the screen.

Now nothing will start up. All I hear is the high pitched whine from under the hood and I see a flashing red light with a lock & car which I think signals the alarm is active. I think the whine is from some kind of AC or cooling pump but normally when I shut off the car it does too after a few seconds. Now it doesn't shut off and the 12v battery is acting like it's really weak.

I've tried disconnecting the terminals and leaving them off for a while to reset the codes. I've also tried jump starting (made sure polarity was correct) and I've tried the emergency hybrid startup mode and maintenance mode. Nothing seems to work and I cannot get to the ready screen. I've checked several fuses which I thought could be blown and they all seem fine. What else should I look for...really concerned that I fubar'd my ride!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    maybe it's the 12 volt, is it original? the flashing red light is normal. put a volt meter on the jump point under the hood when cold and check the reading.

#2 bisco, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. superdan54

superdan54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not entirely sure, just bought it a few months ago. Even if it is the 12 volt...I should be able to bypass it via jump start or emergency mode to get to the ready screen right?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Dead battery

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a jump should work unless the battery is corrupted, then you have to take it out of the circuit. be careful jumping, you can do a lot of damage. don't know what emergency mode is.

6. superdan54

superdan54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the replies! As to the emergency mode, I'm referring to the procedure laid out in this post:

Prius won't start...ready sign never turns on | PriusChat

Are there any other special precautions for jumping a prius. I know that a polarity mismatch can really hose it and they say not to rev a car up either. However, I'm using one of those portable battery starters, is there a specific amp limit or requirement for those?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, that's fine. you have it covered. there's a date code on top of the battery, if you're interested.

disconnect the negative from the battery if necessary.

8. superdan54

superdan54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately I can't get it to jump. If I disconnect the negative, I get absolutely nothing. I know the charger is good and is full. I tried both jumping it directly from the battery terminal and also in the front under the fuse box.

I did verify though that the 12v is original so I'll be ordering a new one. I wonder if a weak 12V could be the reason I was having problems with my stereo? I have a Prius with JBL speakers...does the 12v help supply any power to the amp? The problem I was having was that after driving for about 5 minutes, the sound would suddenly cut out of everything except the back speakers. The front would then intermittently cut in and out. I know it wasn't a wiring issue as it had nothing to do with if I hit a bump or rough patch or anything and it didn't sound at all like a bad connection. It was more like the amp simply stopped supplying power to some of the speakers. Plus it would be fine after I let it sit for an hour or so, only to cut out again exactly 5 minutes after starting. Well hopefully this will fix the issue, but I am a little concerned that I am unable to jump the Prius, should I need to in case of emergency!

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try charging the 12v battery, maybe whatever you are using to jump start is not working

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you disconnected the battery, and attached the jumper to the cables, and nothing, and you are positive the jumper is good (don't assume, try on another car) then there must be fuse burned somewhere. have a look through the manual.

11. superdan54

superdan54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah I know the jumper is good...I used it on my Grandma's car just a couple weeks back and then charged it again directly after.

After letting it sit for a while, I was able to get it in ACC mode, but can tell the charge is still very weak as all the lights are flickering on and off and dome light is dim. Once I try starting though, it immediately loses all power and I only hear the pump running. I think I'll take the battery in and see if it's still got any load or not. Thanks for the assistance!

As for fuses, I checked most I thought to be pertinent to the problem and they looked good. I think Gen 2 Priuses had a fuse right by the battery terminal. I couldn't find any though so not sure if that still exists on Gen 3.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the lights are flickering, your battery is bad. The jumper you're using is probably not connected right, or it'll power your lights