1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what have you TOWED with your prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by 05azprius, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh? Math, science, air dam ... where did that come from?

You wrote: "$10 is chump change. Really gonna split hairs over this one?"

"Clearance isn't an issue" - As I explained, it is.

"Both hitches tuck under the bumper" - Obviously, but is one lower-profile than the other?

"You gotta be kidding me if you're concerned about looks.." - I merely inquired if the Curt was preferred due to looks, I didn't say it was a decisive-variable.

The quality-to-value question remains completely ignored.

Wow ... sigh.

Anyone wish to engage the real questions here, please?

Is there a quality, profile, or other meaningful difference or are both hitch receivers essentially identical?

2. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The clearance issue. Sorry to get all hard-facts on you, but the Prius has a worse clearance issue up front than it does in the rear with *any* hitch. Grab yourself a measuring tape and check it for yourself, if you doubt me. You're going to measure much less clearance up front than you will in the rear... even with a couple inches of hitch installed.

If you can't articulate the "quality" you're demanding, no one's going to guess what you mean. The hitch is designed to handle a specific tongue weight, and tow a maximum load. Whether it's made of 0.20% or 0.25% carbon steel, does it really matter beans if it still does its job reliably?

You're splitting hairs comparing these two things. I'm just here to represent the hitch users.

3. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some reviews of some hitch receiver models complain of poorly aligned holes and twisted steel - a few minutes with a SEARCH engine DuckDuckGo revealed that.
    I came here to ask actual users what they have observed hands-on between these two brands.
    I have yet to read a single word responding to that very legitimate quality-control question.
    They sell spring-firming devices for the Prius based on reports that they sag in the rear when heavily loaded - we experienced heavy-load sag merely 1 week ago - it bottomed-out on a street in Beaumont, Texas.
    Adding a too-low slung hitch receiver would have exacerbated the problem - someone has facts re. pre-load ground clearance.
    Real concerns and real-world problems requiring real-world answers - not sarcastic dismissal.

4. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I tow in the real world. You aren't likely to find someone with experience with two hitches... because folks will install one and use it, and that's where the story ends.

Your hitch should come with a warranty. Quality problems? Warranty repair. End of story.

If you're going to wring your hands over so many details, you won't be happy with any answer you get... with all the time you've wasted here, you could've already had a hitch installed. You think U-Haul would sell crap?

"Spring firming devices"? You mean adjustable coils? Or are you thinking of air bags? I'm going to try putting some in my Prius this summer to resolve the sag issue. Again, clearance has never been a problem while towing. I'm not going to type it again...

5. steve_b

steve_b New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about the blank post yesterday, I seemed to be having issues with PriusChat on my laptop for some reason. I have a Reese load equalizing hitch for one of my pickups, and a Curt fifth-wheel hitch for the other truck. I think they are both well made and they both do the job that they are intended for. I would feel comfortable buying a Prius hitch from either one. I do have to be a little careful pulling out of the top of my driveway in the Prius as its on a turn in the road with a pretty steep downward camber but I don't think the hitch would be a problem as long as the back of the car didn't sag too much. My little camper only has a 20 lb. tongue weight so I think I should be good. Thanks for the info guys!

6. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My son & I installed the Reese, it was a breeze.

So far we have towed a 21' heavy-duty aluminum re-purposed boat trailer (Lo-Buoy) carrying a large sofa - about 40m round-trip.

We are about to install the Curt T-connector trailer wiring kit.

We also bought a hitch-adapter to 2" so we could mount an aluminum carrier w/ramp to transport the riding lawn mower, trash cans, etc.

It rides a bit low so we may use a step-up adapter to raise it.

Other than a hit on fuel mileage, especially noticeable with the 21' trailer, the presence of the trailer was barely noticeable on acceleration or braking.

7. tranders

tranders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any pics of the tow hitch installed? Is the main bar exposed or tucked behind bumper? I assume it is exposed just like the Curt is/would be.

Keep asking questions :)

8. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have misplaced the pics I took during the install but here's one that shows it in use:
    http://nevils-station.com/stuff/prius/setup-fd2013-2.jpg

We installed the CURT 56147 wiring harness, also very simple.

Next is to make the 240 VDC tap for the generator-to-home hookup.

We're still trying to locate an affordable APC SURT003 - they are #125 so a nightmare to ship.

David

engerysaver likes this.
  9. fataugie

fataugie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so I would LOVE to ask this guy how it worked out over the long haul

10. fataugie

fataugie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, so let's try this one more time...

prius_towing_dual_axle_trailer.jpg

11. musical1212

musical1212 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tow a 16.5' bass boat. I have around 200 miles so far with no adverse effects. I drive carefully and the engine and brakes seem to handle it well.

Attached Files:

engerysaver likes this.
  12. thzpcs

thzpcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best I've ever done was a pair of stand up jetskis. That got some interesting looks on the docks....

13. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I'm sure everything went fine, but that pic scares me.

I see the front of the trailer dipping way down, and the back of your Prius also plunging. It looks like handling might have been a bit awkward at times.

Nonetheless, congratulations on using your Prius to tow an impressively sized trailer.

14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a big fan of using passenger cars for towing (used to use subaru for 18' boat towing), but this is clearly crossing the line. One can cheaply rent a bigger car or truck instead that kind of unsafe stunt.

15. flyerjonathan

flyerjonathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I plan to tow. E-LSA trike, total weight with trailer about 900 lbs. Tongue weight is about 40 lbs.

Questions:

Are there any upgraded brake pads and shoes?

Planing to change the transmission fluid. Local shop suggested doing a change, driving a short distance, than changing again... is this over kill?

Any other suggestions from people who have towed with Prius? Upgrades, types of fluids. I have the curt hitch.

A bit about myself... I have driven promotional rigs for years, picture the oscar meyer wiener mobile, (I have a CDL) every thing from tiny wrapped cars to full semi's... in all 48 states... so I understand breaking, maximum speeds, stab breaking and keeping is slow when needed. Even took a 53 foot trailer into brooklyn, into schools for an educational program.

Attached Files:

engerysaver likes this.
  16. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tongue weight 40 LBS? Total weight 900 LBS ...... You will be OK!!
    No upgrades needed!!:)
    Beware of high speeds, high winds; could lead to sway.:eek: But you know that,if you drove big rigs.

If you pull 1200 LBS or more; I would suggest electric trailer brakes; and rear air springs for your Prius.

Change your oil at 5,000 miles, if you tow with ICE in high RPM's for long periods of time.

Happy towing!!(y)

17. flyerjonathan

flyerjonathan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks! Yeah, the CG (center of gravity) came out really well. The motor on the trike located in the back actually helps.

Oh, I do know all about sway. I used to drive all sorts of over loaded mobile marketing vehicles... some fuuuuun times. :p

Do you have a good link regarding the air springs? I have been searching for a load leveling airbag set up, like the kind you can put on trucks to level the vehicle when loaded. All I seem to find are kits that are more for lowering, for vanity.

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tough little car.

I tow using the smallest trailer U-Haul has which is still a very heavy trailer. Rolls along nicely but the brakes are pretty bad with that much weight behind you. And towing is really hard on the electric motors.
    If towing long distance or heavy load when you stop check the temp of the Inverter fluid and see how hot the trans is getting.
    I know how hot the brakes are getting.

19. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try " etrailer.com ", for air springs!! My 2011 Prius uses Firestone Coil-Rite #F-4136.:cool: It will raise the back-end up about 3 inches; and makes for a better ride.(y)
    I do not know what your 2007 Prius takes?

I hope this helps!!:)

20. stratusfear11

stratusfear11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]I've towed my 16ft boat I estimate at about 1500lbs fully loaded with equipment. I'm using the curt 1 1/4 hitch. Car does fine on back roads, 45mph +/-. I always leave at least 4x the space between my vehicle and the one in front of me, for extra braking room when towing. Usually average between 19-25mpg when towing.

I also have a small aluminum utility trailer that I tow my Yamaha blaster 4 wheeler on.

engerysaver likes this.