1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I don't like about my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jomiku, Jun 7, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm on my 6th time renting a 3rd Gen Prius and I'm sure I won't be buying one. I'm just not comfortable in the driver's seat.

The 3rd Gen Prius driver's seat now slides back farther and height adjusts down, but IMO it's sort of for nought as the steering wheel does not telescope enough and I don't like reaching far for a steering wheel.

I compare these things to benchmark cars like the Camry and Accord and the Prius is just off - Camry and Accord steering wheels telescope plenty and are easily within reach with seat slid fully back.

So, I won't be buying this 3rd Gen Prius.

I wonder, will Toyota ever get the driver's seating ergonomics right with this Prius?

Bummer.

And one more thing ... get rid of that floating bridge console!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyotas have 10 litres of reserve. The Prius has a 45 litre tank so when the low fuel light comes on, you've used 35 litres.

I just refuelled yesterday at 847km. I refuelled 38 litres (drove on the blinking pip for 60km), MID shows 4.2L/100km.

3. Sneezy

Sneezy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ya know what I don't like about my wifes Prius?

It's hers and not mine!

No car out there is perfect.

4. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read someone complain about the 15" tiny wheels.
    Well, I think 17" wheels are quite the opposite: too large, too expensive tyres, there is little reason for sporty looks for a hybrid, less MPG and most of all, the rough comfort!
    For me, I honestly can't find a flaw so evident as this one!
    17" wheels NOT APPROPRIATE, fellas.

5. heijx

heijx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is exactly what bugs me, since I don't want to run on empty in my hybrid. The only thing worse than no signaling system is a signaling system which cries wolf too soon.

6. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Couldnt disagree more. I dont think the 17"'s would make THAT much of a difference to ride and mpg. However they make the car look much nicer. I know its a hybrid an all but those wheels on the V make that car IMO. Better handling would be a plus as well. I just think those 15" tires look like golf cart tires compared to the bulkier prius.

7. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Suggestion to Toyota: add a camera to the nose of the car.

1 person likes this.
  8. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What I hate most is it's not paid for.

9. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Suggestion to Toyota:

Lose the start up message "Please drive safely and obey traffic rules"

Pointless, or what?

10. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, looking at your picture, seems you are riding a 15" one. Please test-drive a 17" Prius on a non-smooth road then come on here making the same statement. :D
    Here in Portugal some roads are "non-smooth", err... "bumpy" or "all wheel drive only". :(
    MPG is different, and Toyota has different emissions specifications for 15" and 17".
    Adding to higher wear and higher prices of each tyre... :mad:

Note...I got the Prius because it is the best car on production which fits my budget, not for the looks. I even tried to swap wheels before Toyota delivery handover, but registration only allows 17". My 3yr old daughter feels something's wrong with the car, and cries for being transported by the "other" car, a station Avensis!

11. ProfPlum

ProfPlum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just noticed this one last night. I tried to use SKS to lock the car, and instead it gave me a long beep. My wife figured it out. She had elected to leave her purse in the car, and her smart key was in it. But mine was in my pocket where it belonged.

Maybe they need a smarter key system.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why is this a problem? The SKS is designed to keep you from locking keys in the car. Her key fob being left in the car defeats the immobilizer system, making the car easy to steal. You can override this feature, but you have to make an effort, not do it accidentally.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  13. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hate to say it, but maybe the Prius is smarter than your wife.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like I said, all Toyotas have a 10 litre low fuel light warning (or reserve if you want to call it that). My friend's Acura (Honda) has a 15 litre reserve.

It's an available Toyota Japan accessory. I've posted it here somewhere on one of those "japanese accessories" or "accessories we can't get here" thread. It also includes an "around view" camera (to steal Infiniti's marketing term)

Like the other said, the car is smarter. Depending on how close the key is to the outside sensor, it can actually unlock the car for anyone on the outside. I'm not gonna say where the location is (cause then any anonymous reader reading this post will know how to steal a Prius).

15. HOV RIDER

HOV RIDER Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here are my complaints.

1) Coin tray - What is up with the design? Have to remove all the coins if you want to get in the glove compartment....
    2) USB location - it needs to be located where the heated seat switches are.
    3) Don't like the sliding center console.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you mean centre console box not glovebox?

Also the location is so that you can leave your player in the car without worry of theft.

17. heijx

heijx New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota should add 205/55R16 as an allowed tyre option. 16 inch tyres are now so commonplace that they are not expensive anymore, the ride is still very acceptable and yet they don't look as balloonish as the 15 inch tyres do. Everybody happy.

18. mrjeff

mrjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the Prius uses the front brakes more heavily than other cars. I'm probably overly sensitive but in my Prius, I can feel the cars weight (and mine) shifting towards the front whenever I brake where when I drive other cars I feel nothing. My last car did not do this either. I find it pretty annoying so I guess that is one thing I do not like about my Prius.

19. ProfPlum

ProfPlum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks - I didn't think about the immobilizer. It makes more sense now.

John

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Front brakes or rear brakes, a car's weight will shift forward when braking, assuming the car is going forward. It's simple physics. For a given amount of braking, the forward weight shift will be the same, regardless of which brakes are being used.

Perhaps your statement could be rephrased to say: "The suspension of the Prius causes me to feel the forward weight shift as I brake..." or something like that.

Tom