1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I don't like about the 2016 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cproaudio, Sep 9, 2015.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't really look into the new Prius yet and no detailed pictures of the interior yet. However I already see a few things I hate about the 2016 Prius right off the bat.
    1, Judging by the picture of the shifter "DRIVE MODE", there's no direct access to ECO, Normal or PWR mode. You'll have to cycle through the different modes to get to the ones you like. Not sure if PWR mode will stick after cycling the car off and on. For those that drive in PWR mode, it could be a problem. As we all know, the Gen III's has a dedicated PWR mode button but it doesn't stick after powering off the car. This alone has discouraged many people from driving in PWR mode. People are lazy to push that button every time. Now we have to cycle though the different modes to get to what we want. We won't know if PWR mode will stick after shutting down the car until we test drive one.
    2, That white shifter bezel has got to go. I'd imagine it's on the top of the list of "What have you done to your Gen IV Prius today" thread. I painted the shifter bezel today....
    3, I really hate that 3 spoke steering wheel. I love the 4 spoke wheels because I always grab the wheel at 6 o'clock.
    4, missing top glove box.
    5, black interior. 110f+ summer is gonna be brutal.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    PR said there will be 7 different interior colors.

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Seven exterior colors, no mention of interior, other than white near the floor

4. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'll second the above - I drive in eco mode 90 percent of thetime but I thought power mode should be easier to do without looking-a dedicated shifter button, or even a shifter position - over and up, say. Did anyone see a traction control shutoff? This is my biggest problem with my gen 3 - it'ss a deathtrap in the snow - can't go up a slippery hill worth a damn, unless you do the magic dance to shut off TC. Then it goes right up. Don't like the white, or the seeming loss of storage space, and the dash display does not look like an improvement, tho I am happy to see the console gone.

5. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'll second the above - I drive in eco mode 90 percent of thetime but I thought power mode should be easier to do without looking-a dedicated shifter button, or even a shifter position - over and up, say. Did anyone see a traction control shutoff? This is my biggest problem with my gen 3 - it'ss a deathtrap in the snow - can't go up a slippery hill worth a damn, unless you do the magic dance to shut off TC. Then it goes right up. Don't like the white, or the seeming loss of storage space, and the dash display does not look like an improvement, tho I am happy to see the console gone.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I never use any of the Modes, so personally I don't care. Just the dedication of so much dash space to the shifter, (dumbed down) Mode button, Park button and EV button (rarely use either), is disconcerting.

It' seems like more and more of the functionality is religated to the touch screen; tactile, well placed knobs and sliders are old-school I guess. I don't like that.

The stuff that really matters, speedo for example, continue to be centre-of-dash. I don't like that.

The strange, "swoop" sculpture spanning the right side of dash (in place of upper glove box): beyond dislike on that, just numb puzzlement.

Since the "reveal" was in fact a real gong show, with little substance, and the interior info is just more leaked pictures, apparently from European spec car, who knows, tho.

jdonalds likes this.
  7. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the styling myself.
    I hate the instrument cluster being in the middle of the car.
    Great for backseat drivers, awful for the actual driver.

Would have been nice to see more actual data.

As for interior color, really??
    Of course they will have a variety of interior colors. Knocking the entire Model because a car has black interior is a bit extreme.

jdonalds likes this.
  9. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I want a heated steering wheel, cool'ed seats, better shocks and I'm good, for snow, get studded tires, and post again, fours a charm;)

10. Iamjo20

Iamjo20 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am wondering IF they will have a smaller version in their future line-up------to me, this car looks too huge. I am SURE that some lie this.
    However, maybe the driving experience will be so wow-some that it will negate what the looks lack to me personally.

11. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Apologies! I had no idea it was making multiple posts; I was commenting via my phone and having a difficult time of it - is there a way to delete those? I don't see one.

Looking forward to seeing really detailed specs and interior details for the US spec car.

12. mtl_sienna

mtl_sienna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it will be more fun to drive but by the looks of it, who would want to be seen driving it?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Walking the dog, I keep looking at VW's, Jetta for example. I mean, what the heck is wrong with subdued eloquence. Seems like the 4th Gen Prius design was driven by drunken kids.

mts22, N.J.PRIUS and Priusguy78213 like this.
  14. mtl_sienna

mtl_sienna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to say it but given the choice between a boring VW (insert boring overpriced name here) TDI or the new Prius, looks like I will be paying more to have a boring looking car. Well played VW o_O

15. le diable

le diable Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only looked at a few of the photos, but I can already say I won't buy one for this precise reason. I'm still driving my 2005, and will be looking elsewhere when it comes time to replace it.
    While it was odd at first, I love where the speedo is in the 2nd Gen models, I barely have to look below the windshield. In the 3rd and now 4th gens, unless they've got some sort of HUD, you have to look down and right, which seems like a riskier behavior. And I don't need reminders from someone in the back seat about the speed limit.

jdonalds likes this.
  16. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I agree about the speedo in the Gen 2. I loved both the position and the greater visual distance. Looking from road to speedo and back was way quicker easier and safer. I suspect it's even better than the HUD due to lack of distraction and contrast issues.

17. metamatic

metamatic Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Personally I find the Jetta hatchback (Sportwagen) intolerably ugly. Maybe if you like 1980s stationwagons it's eloquent, but it's 2015! And as for the Golf, they've barely changed the design since 1974.

Other than the central instrument cluster (Wth are Toyota thinking there?) I like the new Prius.

Zythryn likes this.
  18. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    One of the best things about it. It looked good then and still does.
    I've never understood the compulsion some people have to change, even if it's for the worse.

HTMLSpinnr likes this.
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't care too much about the mode buttons or lack of mode buttons.
    I drive my Gen 3 in "normal" or ECO most of the time. Rarely use EV or Power.

And I think it fair to say with the Gen 3 neither EV or Power modes were meant to be used as anything but temporary, specific situation tailored modes.

I know some people LIKE to drive in power mode....a lot, but since it maps the accelerator pedal for quick response from the engine, it doesn't encourage fuel economy which seems counter productive to owning a Prius in the first place. I can't imagine buying a Prius, and then choosing to drive in Power Mode exclusively. I don't really think it was meant or designed for that.

About the only time I use Power Mode is if I find myself on a crowded freeway merge ramp, and I want as much acceleration as possible as quickly as possible, then "sometimes" I might press it. Even though I can duplicate response by just pressing harder and faster on the accelerator pedal. So really? I barely use it at all.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  20. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

I agree, that's why I'd love a button on the shifter that takes no time to find in those difficult situations where I want the power. Try as I might, I don't feel I get the same response from stomping on the accelerator. I use mine in Eco mode all the time (coming from a gen 2 that only had one mode! (and better gas mileage)); I've never yet found a situation where EV mode is useful or even allowed; running people over very slowly and quietly in parking lots?