1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I don't like about the 2016 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cproaudio, Sep 9, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    B is for downhill braking, to reduce brake pad wear.

2. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The car should do that automatically. It shouldn't use the friction brakes unless the battery is full and rotating the engine isn't enough (if engine braking cannot achieve same energy dissipation as what the battery could do) or a combination of friction brakes and regenORenginebraking if the brake pedal if pushed down enough. It should be all automatic.
    Who knows, maybe it can regen and engine rotate at the same time too.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny, you're the first expert to say that in 12 years.(n)

kithmo likes this.
  4. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're quite right - I grossly oversimplified. But then so does GM in the bulk of their explanations. The bottom line doesn't change - in hybrid (range extending?) mode, the Volt mechanically engages the ICE MUCH less than does the Prius. It's a different design, and the system shown in the video is quite different from the Toyota PSD. And for cost reasons, both of these may soon be overshadowed by rapidly improving P2 hybrid systems with a single electric motor/generator. The next few years will be instructive.
    All I can say is I tried. I guess chughes just knows more than the rest of us, so my input is not needed. Moving on . . .

#444 Vike, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    JohnF and bisco like this.
  5. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey, I can believe you that Toyota feels there is a purpose of 'B' specifically to spin the engine (along with a sprinkle of regen until the battery is full I read on some threads). But what's the point. The user shouldn't care and why would they allow this choice if there isn't even a traction control off button until 2016+ (even then, it nags). The user can see with the graphic when max regen is achieved, when engine braking and/or friction brakes are going to be in play anyway so 'B' isn't needed to quench the user's desire of not using the brake pads (unless see below).

The only reason for 'b' would be if going down a long hill, battery full, if in 'd' and press the brake, the car won't turn the engine, it'll just use the friction brakes once the battery is full for some reason?
    I'd hope the 2016 would use engine braking if the battery is full/can't accept full regen automatically in 'd' along with friction brakes as needed. So then no point at all in 'b'. 'd' would be best for efficiency (filling up the battery first) and brake pad wear. But maybe it doesn't so there is a reason for 'b' mode.

EDIT: Seems the '16 may still not use engine braking if the battery is full/can't take full regen in 'd', cus the book for it says 'b' does that (engine braking). Ok. But why can't software do this in 'd'..
    Thanks

#445 chughes123, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll try one attempt, Vike. We'll see if it works.

B is to simulate a low gear. It doesn't help if B uses the friction brakes when your friction brakes are cooked on a long downhill stretch. This is why B spins the engine to increase resistance to help slow the car down. It'll regen as well but once the battery is full, it'll spin the engine at a higher rpm to compensate for the loss of regen braking power. It's meant to slow the car down if you've been riding your brakes down the mountain side. It's a safety precaution, just like a lower gear is on an automatic or "L" or "B" in other CVTs that are not in hybrids.

kithmo and Vike like this.
  7. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are three models that have a spare tire in the '16 Prius.

krmcg likes this.
  8. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fully Charged HV Battery==No Regenerative Braking? | PriusChat

So as I thought, in 'd', when the battery is full, going down a hill (or a truck pushing you, whatever), the regen power will be used to turn the engine. But not until the battery is full (or close to it I suspect). The only advantage of 'b' is to engine brake early before the battery is full, for whatever reason. Very little circumstances where 'd' won't keep you safe and most efficient. Going down a mountain with a trailer I could see that. Pulse the friction brakes, release, repeat while in 'b'. I don't know if engine RPM will increase further when pressing the brakes in the 'regen region' in 'b', in that case keep it there to minimize momentum gain. Sure it would in 'd'.

EDIT 4/1 4:45PM-PST: Could be that in 'd', battery full, the algorithm is to not maximize engine RPM so noise stays low, brake pedal may not feel as effective because regen is probably less when battery is full so the user will press into the friction brakes more. So 'b' is used to ramp up engine braking, noise be darned. Also as above, to engine brake before the battery is full. Asking 'macman408' right now to see if he knows for sure. Because I'm curious.

#448 chughes123, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Going down a long steep hill in B, it's not "regen" turning the engine, it's the fact that you've got this heavy car rolling down a steep hill, gravity, momentum. And having it in B is akin to shifting down. The engine really protests, revs high. It doesn't want to turn, resists, hence: "engine braking".

Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is regen turning the engine IMO. The main MG is in generator mode, instead of the energy going into the battery, it is being used to run the secondary MG in motor mode, to turn the engine. Regen turning the engine. Transmission in series hybrid config. Or dynamics braking turning the engine. Locomotive uses dynamic brakes to heat up resistors. Same principle.

11. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point - and after all, isn't opinion what matters most?

Isn't there any way for this to move to another thread? I don't think complaining about (or defending or misunderstanding or explaining or whatever) Toyota HSD in general is quite on-topic for a Gen4 gripe thread, and this is getting a bit tedious for those not interested in debating or re-learning HSD minutiae.

In other words, I'm not sure how "What I don't like about the 2016 Prius" became "Prius 101", but I'd prefer that it hadn't.

Just sayin' . . .

kithmo and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <GROAN> Another "What I don't like about the 'What I don't like about the 2016 Prius' " thread drift.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *back on topic please*

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,

• I don't like that it takes 10 seconds to reach 60 mph when there it should handle 0-60 in 8 seconds.
    • I don't like the traction battery is still a whole sub-assembly with no option for module replacements.
    • The car should run everything from E0-E100.
    Bob Wilson

#454 bwilson4web, Apr 1, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    concertinajohnnyboy likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is there no pieces on the door thresholds, just painted body metal? This would get burnished pretty quick; our last car was like this.

16. chughes123

chughes123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Does the cargo cover from a 3rd gen Prius (2010-2015) fit on a 16? Or will only the type that hangs from the hatch work (Flexible lightweight tonneau cover | PriusChat), not the type that unrolls like a projector screen Also, the front seat headrests interchangeable with the 3rd gen?
    I wish the battery temp could be displayed. Algorithm to detect if cooling system needs to be dusted or fan failure (it may detect fan failure, don't know).
    Seat recline adjuster handle is awkward. But it's a great car so far. Great possibility for a plugin.
    EDIT: rear sway bar possibilities.

#456 chughes123, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You should be able to monitor battery temps, if not now, soon enough, using a ScanGauge coupled with an XGauge. There's maybe other devices too that'll work.

18. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've seen some "lighted" door threshold protectors. But I would like to find the ones that you just stick on, not lighted.

Maybe when the mudguards come along ;), so will the threshold protectors.

19. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Do you know the scan codes for the battery ? Do you have a reference to the new scan codes ?

I've been looking everywhere.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just looked through our 2010 brochure: "door sill protectors" where an accessory. They never made mention of it, ours had been sitting on the lot a long time, maybe someone added it and sale fell through?

I don't know about 2016. I'm sure something will be worked out. There's a good 3rd gen spreadsheet of the codes, linked here (if you haven't found):

GEN III XGAUGE master list | CleanMPG

And to cheer up :):

#460 Mendel Leisk, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016