1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I don't like about the 2016 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cproaudio, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's silver on the gen 3 steering wheel I'm ok with, not sure why the diff, lol. Gloss white just seems jarring to me. Ah well.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, yes, Toyota. I'll edit the post for clarity.

While I lament the loss of the ability to exit on either side of the vehicle (yes, I've done that on several occasions in the Gen 2. Quite handy!), again focusing on the positive, we trade the hidden drawer for the under bridge tray. It's large enough to hold a small bag, hat, glasses or other small items. The bridge meant that your drink was closer in hand. I did miss the ability to shift while keeping the right hand on the wheel like you could with the Gen 2. The overall design of the cockpit of the Gen 3 was nice and that included the flying bridge. Yes, taking the bridge into account solely on its own, it's a bit of a hassle and potentially unwieldy as it cuts into available room, especially if you're a larger person. But overall, I thought the effect was good. I had issues with other aspects like the 5" MID from the 80s instead of the large 7" display from the Gen 2.

I don't particularly like the Gen 4's steering wheel design. It looks clunky and the buttons are back to cheap feeling plastics. The Gen 3's design looked integrated (the airbag cover had the same leaf vein design as the dashboard) and it had a nice flat bottom, lending to a slightly sportier design. It also had soft-touch buttons for the most commonly used buttons. Lastly, the Gen 4 finally kicks the temperature control bucket and no longer includes temperature controls on the steering wheel. (The Gen 3 already reduced the number of temperature control functions compared to the Gen 2).

I do like the Gen 4's SofTex covering. It works well on cool mornings as it doesn't feel cold like my leather-wrapped Gen 3 wheel.

JohnF likes this.
  3. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While we're branching out here, I'll add that I don't love the horizontal swooshy thing that goes across the dash of the Gen 4 above the glovebox. The "tray" behind it seems useless, so I'm not sure what purpose (if any) it serves? I've gotten good at not looking at it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like the gen 4 cockpit much better than the 3. i think it's the best design they've come up with so far. the gen 2 and 3 had a lot more wasted space. and i don't like the small steering wheel buttons on the 3, but i haven't sen the 4 yet to compare. my wife's hycam has nice big solid buttons you can push with gloves on.

5. tzx4

tzx4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With the exception of the HUD and the multi adjustment power seat, There is nothing in the higher cost models that interested me.
    But you have a good point. It will be interesting to see how fast Toyota responds and makes changes.

6. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No. No, it truly wasn't.
    I certainly like it better than the Gen3's flying buttress and craptastic graphic displays, and it's far more attractive than the uber-minimalist Gen2 vibe, but to say the Gen2 had more wasted space is just bizarre. Every nook and cranny had usable storage, all lost in the Gen4, with its middling single glovebox, ordinary armrest console, some minimal seatback pockets and door pockets, and virtually no under deck storage. My wife's still fiddling around trying to figure out where to put her stuff, and for some items there are no good answers. Looking hard now at one of those cupholder basket organizers to help out.

But back to the original point - the general dearth of storage aside, in what conceivable sense does the Gen4 use even its dashboard space better?

#526 Vike, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hmm, look at the date of my original post. I asked that around the time of 2016 announcement. no one could have answered that question.

8. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the term you're looking for is "dust catcher."

9. NorthernHSD

NorthernHSD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure whether this is mentioned earlier but car seems to have odd noise outside for pedestrians. So they notice car better. Check video for the reference( @6:00) :

Could someone confirm is this also in Euro-spec cars? Still waiting car to be arrived but already not liking this feature :)

pakitt likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been this way in North America since 2012. We have no defeat button (but one is available in the Japanese version). You can head down and see if other Toyotas in Finland already include the "Vehicle Proximity Notification System"

11. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Too early for me to not really not like something. However, an auto dimming passenger door mirror would have been nice.

LG-H901 ?

bisco likes this.
  12. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I never use the PWR mode on mine. It stays in ECO after shutdown. The Traction control shutoff is just to the left of the steering column.

bisco likes this.
  13. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tesla also did the dark swoosh on either side of the instrument area. The new Prime, with its 11.6" screen, looks even more like the Model S, with their swoosh. Perhaps that is where the Prius designers got their inspiration? I don't like Toyota's version either. And when I finally sat in the car I disliked it even more so. I had no idea that it stuck out an inch or more and was plastic-y and hard. Totally useless and looks more like a knee knocker waiting to happen.

http://static.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/images/Auto/izmo/358124/2013_tesla_model_s_dashboard.jpg

14. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ok, after 90 days and 9400 miles I suppose I should be honest and admit the car is not perfect. So here goes-- I will share an unpleasant secret:

The windshield wipers do not automatically reset to the home position when you turn the car off.

I know, right?

Other than that, I have nothing to contribute on the negatives.

As for those who take issue with certain styling elements, I liken their reactions to those I expect many of us had when yoga pants first came into everyday fashion-- a great
    shock at first, but something that over time one learns is rather acceptable (everyday normal). And a look that can easily be appreciated on its own merits once you become more accustomed to it.

That's been my experience, anyway.

kithmo, krmcg, pjm877 and 3 others like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey, I kinda like yoga pants. :whistle:

Speaking of wipers, one thing our last Honda had that was dead great, wish other manufacturers would pick up on it:

If you set the wipers on fastest intermittent, they were intermittent when you were stopped, then changed to regular low speed operation, when you started rolling. This was great, exactly what I have to do, by hand, with our Toyota. :confused:

16. Nam Nguyen

Nam Nguyen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Side question to the video. At 1:53, he mentions that the front windshield is heat insulated. Does any one know of any Toyota references mentioning that? All I know is the lime-green Prius has special reflecting paint, but I don't think I've ever came across the windshielf reflecting infra-red. What about the door windows and back windows, do they have the same type of glass?

17. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't even know what that means. If it is hot outside the car, the heat can't make it through the glass? Or is it UV filtering?

18. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sort of. Basically, there are tints that reject IR (infared) which is basically heat radiation. Some of these tints do not block visible light, at least not very much, so we cannot see them and they are OK for windshield use. I had some of this tint applied to my car's rear hatch windows. In this case, Toyota is probably including a similar material in the layer between the two sheets of glass that make up the windshield.

There are also tints that block UV light (glass itself blocks certain UV wavelengths) but UV is not heating the interior. Bleaching and deterioration of plastics is a greater concern with UV.

DavidA likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That feature is called "speed-sensitive intermittent wipers". I prefer that over rain-sensing wipers.

I recall at one point that the Eco model was supposed to have some special heat reflective windshield but I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the U.S. features/specification.

That said, all Prii do have UV cut glass and "High Solar Energy Absorbing" glass.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're not helping.
    Speed-sensitive intermittent wipers have been around on Mitsubishi cars for over 20 years. It's a great idea, I really like it on my i-MiEV. I wasn't aware that Honda did these as well, so I guess it's either not patented or licensed under liberal terms, leaving me to wonder why Toyota hasn't picked up on it.
    . . . . along with deterioration of the flesh of vehicle occupants.

Mendel Leisk likes this.