1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I don't like about the 2016 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by cproaudio, Sep 9, 2015.

1. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    If the Volt had more cargo space and a spare tire I'd take a look at it. The rest of the car seems fine.

2. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    With lots of hills, potential for heavy rain, and some rare snow I want my wife driving a 4WD car too. On bad weather days I ask her to drive the AWD 4Runner. If the Gen IV would have come with 4WD I would be interested. As it is I'm considering a Honda CR-V or Subaru Impreza hatchback for additional cargo space, a higher more vertical seating position, and 4WD.

Total cost of ownership is important to me. We have had some trouble with our Gen II dropping into the mid 30's mpg but it recovered after a couple of months. I realize if I have to put in a new $2K traction battery it will increase the overall total cost of ownership. A non-hybrid has some appeal now.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they're all subjective, just going by the reviews. there's nothing else to talk about for now.

4. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Even if they don't offer 4wd here (though honestly, I want it) does anyone know if the Gen 4 has a way to shut off the traction control (like a BUTTON - my wife's Subaru has a BUTTON (and it's 4wd, so who needs it?)) or if it drives better in the snow than the gen 2 or 3? Because I cannot get up my hill in snow with the traction control on (and I zip up no problem with the &^%$ thing off.) in my Gen 3.

5. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Why do you USA guys have so much problems with snow? Don't they have plows and showels out there? In europe even when it snows hard there is rarely more than 2-3 cm of snow on the road because they clean them all the time, and ofc you clean your driveway before driving anywhere? So why do you need 4wd so badly?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The extra, electric traction on the rear wheels will let us beat the other traffic when the light changes. It allows the car to accelerate faster . . . and tow a heavier load.

Bob Wilson

7. nagrath

nagrath Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    first, over the last few winters we have gotten 10-13" of snow each week for most of the winter. Snowplows come through but if it is still snowing there is a layer of slush on the streets. If the road is flat, it is OK, but any hills and the traction control makes it impossible to travel. Since it only has 2 powered wheels, if both slip, it cuts power to both and therefore, NO power at all. With the TC off, the wheels may slip a bit but there is enough traction to go up the hill. With AWD/4wd between all the wheels there would be enough traction to move along fine. I am in NY, just north of NYC, not in Buffalo or Maine. We still get a lot of snow, far more than Europe. I would do better if I put heavy duty snow tires on in the winter but that is a big pain and few do it anymore because most Front wheel drive cars are better in the snow and if they have traction control there is usually a dashboard button to turn it off. And yes, I shovel my driveway, that is not the problem.[

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We have problems with snow here in the states because it is so infrequent - Usually just in the Winter. :D

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree with the jest of your point, but snow removal is a local responsibility in many areas. So how well it is done comes down to the township. Ours clear the main roads in a reasonable time, but the alleyway that our driveway is on might never get plowed, for example.

Then either because of work ethic or fear of getting into trouble with management that may very well mark calling out against an employee, many Americans have to drive out in weather that they sensibly shouldn't.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the other thread "I get to drive the 2016 Prius Four", it is mentioned that there's a TRAC OFF button.

It really depends on the municipality. Some wait until the snow has stopped before plowing (except main roads), others plow but only main roads (bus routes) so residential streets are snow covered until they can finish clearing the main roads. Also, depending on location, the snow can be clumpy and wet so it's slushy vs. the dry fluffy snow which has a bit more grip. Lastly, coastal sections tend to get a lot of snow at once (suck the moisture up from the sea and dump it on land) so it can be difficult to keep up if it's snowing at 2-3cm per hour.

tmacrp likes this.
  11. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    This is actually true. The more infrequent snow in the U.S. keeps them off guard. Plus maybe the heavier and faster traffic require you keep up with the rest. Americans also seem to be much more in a hurry so they need something with more get go.

Here north of the border where (perhaps) its a little bit slower, it's just business as usual. An inch or so on the road is normal, and snow storms is just something I put up for a couple of days. Never saw the need for 4wd yet, never bought into the SUV hype either. Sedans is what I regularly drive, snow tires only became a luxury for me in the last 10 years - and I used to go skiing a lot. It's all about what you are used to, and how fast you wanna get there.

Trollbait likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here in winter wonderland (Minnesota), those losing control then sliding into ditches are almost always SUVs.

The belief is 4WD/AWD allows them to drive faster in slippery conditions. Ugh.

#172 john1701a, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    bisco and Zythryn like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

FWIW, CivicDriver06 says so, in post #17, here:

I get to play with a 2016 Prius Four! | PriusChat

14. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought so too from the pics but then I sat in one. The white material is the best part of the interior. It is really nice. A nicer plastic than I've seen on any other toyota product, including lexi

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The funny thing is that AWD/4WD sells. I had great success with my winter tires (Nokian Hakkapeliita R) for 5 years. It handled as if the road was dry (actually it might've been grippier than the factory Ecopias).

I've overheard enough conversations to get an idea that people don't consider a 2WD vehicle any more (seems silly). Also, I was told that Lexus is begging for an AWD hybrid sedan to boost sales. (The RX450h is good but pricey and the NX300h isn't really worth it cause it's priced really close to the RX450h).

16. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The E-Four version only has about 11 cm ground clearence!
    What good good would it be if you have a tone of snow on the roads ?

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That can't be right. That's lower than the 2WD versions!

18. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Somehow the rear electric motor seams to take up some space and therefore the exaust pipe is very low to the ground compared to the 2WD !
    There are pictures here somewhere that show the difference .

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    11cm is really low to the ground. It won't clear some of the speed bumps (humps) here in North America.

20. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius