1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I hate about my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by n2y2, Jul 10, 2006.

1. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

Make no mistake, I am the proud owner of a 2004 AG Seaside. The list of things I love about my Prius is very long. I would not trade it for any other car on the market. This is a short list of items that I wish I could change. Let's discuss it.

The A/C is always on.
    Even when the A/C and the fan are off, the vents blow cool air when the temperature is set lower than the outdoor temp; even when I want it warmer. In the morning I have to lower my temperature setting to the low end and in the evening I have to do the opposite, just to get vented air. This is a waste of energy. Why can't I just get air strait from the outdoors to run through the vent without the compressor or heat exchanger getting involved?

Not enough leg room.
    At 6'1†I am very rarely the tallest person in the room. Yet if I were taller, I would probably have to find a different car. With the steering wheel tilted all the way up, I have to turn my right leg sideways to get it past the steering wheel. Doing this repeatedly over the last 2 years has caused me some mild knee and hip pain (at the 'young' age of 36). Just a inch or two more room forward of the petals would be very helpful to us over 72†folk.

Rear View mirror blocks forward view.
    Again related to my height. The rear view mirror sits directly in my line-of-sight. To see more than slightly to my right I must duck, stoop, slouch, or lean forward. This is a big pain at 4-way stops.

Side air bag cavities too wide.
    These greatly reduce my vision to the side; especially to the left. The problem is especially pronounced on the lazy winding road I take home. I have to bob and weave like Mohamed Ali to see the road to the left. This problem is much worse in this car than in any other I have driven. I'm telling you that I nearly get an aerobic work-out dodging all of the obstacles to my line of sight.

Cannot turn on the fog lights without the headlights
    When driving in the snow (or fog), the reflection of my own headlights off of the falling snow blinds me. The Toyota HID lamps compounds the problem because they are so bright. In the past, I have turned on the fog light without turning on the headlights. That is not an option with the Prius; the fog lights make no impact on my ability to see the road in those conditions.

The Reverse and Drive are in counterintuitive positions.
    Anyone that has ever used a joy-stick knows that forward should be up and backwards should be down. The Prius is opposite. Why is that?

Poor visibility using side-veiw mirrors.
    I fixed this with some wide-angle stick-on mirrors.

The velour cloth used for armrests.
    This stuff looks terrible after a few weeks of use. Spills are impossible to get out. After two years use, the center armrest is threadbare on the corners and the cloth is peeling off.

That's it. I have nothing but praise for the rest of the car.

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The A/C is always on, or I have to set the temperature, turn the A/C off, then crack a rear window to get passive airflow. I concure, for an otherwise energy efficient vehicle, Toyota engineers slipped on passive air flow. The present design is an intentional phantom load on overall energy demand of the vehicle.

Because 2008-2009 CE Prii are expected to be PHEVs, eliminating hidden loads is critical to vehicle performance and occupant comfort.

3. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 10 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]283808[/snapback]</div>
    I hear ya. However, I have heard from other Prius chatters that Toyota has included extra holes in the rails under the seats to allow for a small modification to move the seat back a couple inches. You might want to check into that.

4. wstander

wstander New Member

The A/C issues are bad and the MFD controls are somewhat awkward.

The front pillars are wide (I am 5'7") and I almost pulled in front of a car because I did not see it clearly.

The fog lamps are useless. I have tried to tell if they actually illuminate the road edge, or just 'glow' like markers. I think they are markers,

5. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Regarding the AC.

If you turn the AC off, it turns the whole system off. There is still outside air venting through 2 of the four upper dash vents just as you would like. If you run the system in auto with the AC compressor off, it will manage the temperature as best it can without running the compressor. Also very efficient.

Regarding the foglights.

I'm almost positive that it's in the US auto lighting code that foglights can't be turned on without the headlights. It's how I've seen every set of factory foglights set up. I know it's stupid, but that one isn't Toyota's fault. On the other hand, the foglights on the Prius are useless anyway so it doesn''t really matter.

6. steved

steved Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anybody else have the problem that the upper right steering wheel spoke totally blocks the view of the windshield wiper controls (intermittent, rear wiper control, etc.)? Maybe it's just my height (5'9") and tilt steering wheel position but I'm a very average size person and I should be able to see the control. I can see the turn signal/headlight control fine, I just wish the wiper control was at the same angle as the turn signal control.

With as good a job as Toyota does with ergonomic design, I'm really surprised that they blew it this bad on the Prius. I also have a '96 4Runner and I can easily see both turn signal and wiper controls.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 10 2006, 07:45 AM) [snapback]283808[/snapback]</div>
    Well, on an automatic transmission on the floor, forward is Reverse and back is Drive, and on a column shift, pushing the lever up will put it in Reverse and down for Drive. It sounds like it's following the same pattern. I admit I expected it to be the other way too.

I want to know why there isn't power seats, plus instrumentation is sparse. It might be good to know if there's a heating problem in advance. On the MFD would be fine. I don't bother using the fog lights.

8. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jul 10 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]283827[/snapback]</div>
    My wife's van (2000 Nissan) has factory fog lamps and she can turn them on independent of the headlights.

I have read that it is only a few states that require that headlight and fog lights be on at the same time. The manufactures' then enforce that across the board. I would like to see it become the driver's responsibility and give the rest of us the option.

The Pruis fog lamps may be insufficient to light the road, but I don't know that, I can't test it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steved @ Jul 10 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]283835[/snapback]</div>
    I have that issue too, but I learned to use the controls by feel quickly enough that I don't consider it a problem.

9. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steved @ Jul 10 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]283835[/snapback]</div>
    I must have my tilt setting slightly different, because I'm the same size and the spoke only blocks most of my wiper control. I also find having the rear wiper control on the control with the front wipers tough to get used to. I'm used to a switch on the dash for that.

I also am not all that fond of all the things that can only be done from the MFD. Controlling fan speed & vent location, switching to a different CD, etc. I find having to use it very distracting.

Nevertheless, I love the car!

10. harrv

harrv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 10 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]283808[/snapback]</div>
    I would suspect that if you spent much time in Japan you often would be the tallest in the room. Perhaps since this car was designed there, that has something to do with this problem. I'm 5'10" (not tall at all) and I have to slide the seat all the way back AND recline it slightly in order to feel comfortable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 10 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]283808[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. This seems a little dangerous and was hard for me to get used to.

This, on the other hand, was very easy to get used to and I never have to think about it now.

I haven't noticed any side-mirror visibility problem. Good idea with the wide-angle stick-ons though.

11. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

I wish you could pop open the hatch from inside the car.

12. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Seat comfort/Steering wheel sux

Let's see, Did I mention that the seat comfort sux?

What about Seat comfort/Steering wheel sux.

Also, Seat comfort/Steering wheel sux.

What else, Oh ya, Seat comfort/Steering wheel sux. :lol:
    sux
    sux
    sux
    sux
    sux
    sux
    etc.
    etc.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wrong on the a/c. Select any fan speed to turn the system on [NOT
    "auto" mode], bring the temp down to "max cold" and make sure the
    a/c compressor is off, select "fresh air" [i.e. not recirc] from
    the MFD or steering wheel button, and then turn the fan speed OFF.
    That's generic fresh-air-inlet position, without any heating or
    cooling. Unfortunately it doesn't let a *lot* of air in due to
    duct geometry under the wiper cowling, so you might want to run the
    fan on low to help it out every so often. That's a very light load.
    To deal with the mirror, rotate it *upside down* on its little
    ball-joint stalk [careful of homelink wiring if you have it], and
    shove it all the way up toward the ceiling.
    The left A pillar issue is just something you'll have to get used to,
    but a gentle lean toward the right when going around a lefward curve
    is all it takes. Have a passenger that you like along, who will
    appreciate the occasional fuzzies and think you're *completely* nuts.
    Adjust your outside mirrors correctly. You should *not* be able to
    see your own car in either of them, unless you lean a little in the
    appropriate direction. That places them maximally outward allowing
    you to see cars in your otherwise blind spots.
    Wiper stalk -- well, heck, does a sax player have to look down at his
    fingers all the time? You've probably already learned to play your
    prius like a fine instrument -- shifter and other controls included,
    with your hands falling naturally and precisely into just the right
    positions to effect changes.
    The shifter positions, although hotly debated in the past, actually
    follow the model of many automatic- tranny selectors that have gone
    before -- that go through P,R,N,D,L while pulling *toward* you or
    effectively "down". The sideways bop is sort of an interesting
    wrinkle on that, but since there may be times when what you want
    most instantaneously is actually "B", it sort of makes sense for
    that to be the most direct downward slap from where your hand sits
    on the steering wheel. So in some weird place in the universe, the
    shifter does make sense.
    _H*

14. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a few annoyances on this car but the one that bugs me the most is when you have a door ajar and get that nasty message on the MFD. The message is something about the car must be put in park, something is wrong, etc...... I've had it happen twice and both times it made my heart sink until I figured out it was just a door. IMO it would be much more user friendly if the MFD simply said "Your door is ajar", but maybe that's just me.

15. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Proco,

Push and hold the arrow key on the steering wheel for about 3 seconds. It will advance to the next CD. Lift finger and try again to go to the next, etc.

Chris

16. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jul 10 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]283827[/snapback]</div>
    This is true. When I moved to Virginia, I had to bring in my car for inspection, and one of the things they checked was that the fog lights turned off when I turned off the headlights. Turning off the A/C (set it to not auto, make sure it's greyed out over the A/C button) allows you to adjust the fan speed manually.

As for tall people, I'm almost 5'11", which isn't particularly tall, but turning the inside rear-view mirror upside-down was the single best hint I got from Priuschat. It took me awhile to get used to the reach to the steering wheel, if the seat is adjusted for comfortable leg length. A telescoping steering wheel would really REALLY be nice!

That's a good hint about adjusting the side mirrors so you don't normally see the side of the car. I've been following that for years, makes sense to reduce your blind spots. The front side pillars do annoy me, particularly on angled intersections, they can block a surprising amount of space.

But I have no complaints about the seats. I took a 6-hour drive recently and didn't even think about the seats. I like the space in the back, it was more than I was expecting from a hybrid. I like the headlights too, one issue with my old Subaru was rather dim headlights, no problem now! (Although I'm a little worried about oncoming drivers).

Also the shifter is correct. Manual transmission (at least four-on-the-floor and five-speed cars, can't remember 3-on-the-tree) has reverse to the left and up. Reverse is above the forward gears on auto trannys. The layout is definitely a bit different though, with B straight down and park on a separate button.

17. jackbetz

jackbetz from GEN2 to GEN3

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some of the interior plastic surfaces are too soft (on 2006). It is very easy to scratch the surface. An example would be the grey plastic on the doors near the handles. Or the lower surfaces of the doors.

18. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 10 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]283885[/snapback]</div>
    The manual transmission car I replaced when I got my Prius is all the way to the right then down for reverse. Manual transmissions vary in their positioning from car to car.

Why does everyone keep saying that it makes sense from the perspective of previous transmissions / shifters?

The Prius is a complete departure from traditional. The fact that shift knob is on the dash completely throws most people for a loop. People get entirely detached from the "way it ought to be". The shifter knob is the reason people don't think that it will drive like a normal car. All of the other controls look identical to a traditional vehicle. As long you you are re-educating dirvers, why not do it the right way with the redesign?

My hypothesis is this: It is in the intuitive configuration in Japan: up => forward; down => reverse. When they made the US version they mirrored the blueprints to put the drivers seat on the other side. This reversed the controls. I have never seen a Japanese version so I cannot confirm this, but it seems logical to my engineering brain.

19. B Rad

B Rad New Member

I don't like the look of the little wheels. Makes the whole car look like a roller skate !!!!
    But don't want to lose the high MPG by changing to 16' or 17's...........Such a problem !!!!!

20. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can not believe someone didn't mention this.
    My BIGGEST complaint is the damn gas tank. I HATE getting gas. Not only having to pay the high prices, but the stupid thing shuts off the gas pump all the time. You gotta do the dance. Pull it out, put it back in, tilt it to the side, talk nice to it, AGH!!!!!