1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I hate about my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by n2y2, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CJs Mom @ Sep 14 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]512626[/snapback]</div>
    This is fixable. I found some flat black thin rubber foam, I think it was supposed to be a mouse pad, and cut a strip abount 1-1/2 in wide, and placed it right at the edge of the window that the speedometer projects through, and cemented it in place with artist's adhesive.

2. kadams30655

kadams30655 New Member

Oh yeah, those darned cloth armrests. What bimbo thought up that one??? Has anyone found a way to protect these? My car is only 3 wks old and I'm trying to keep that new look.

3. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kelleybean @ Sep 14 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]512867[/snapback]</div>
    Then you might be looking for these.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CJs Mom @ Sep 14 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]512626[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like your phone is having serious Bluetooth issues. <_<

My old Motorola V710 phone was one of Motorola's first attempts at BT, and was horribly unreliable at connecting with ANY handsfree kit, either the earpiece or the Prius. The ONLY way to make that phone connect was reboot the phone - worked every time. After months of putting up with this nonsense (had the phone before the car), I eventually b*tched to Telus long enough that they gave me a credit equal to the phone and traded up to a KRZR phone instead. This phone connects perfectly every time. :D

My complaint about the BT (aside from the obvious lockout while in motion) is that it supports up to 4 phones, but you can only switch phones when stopped, and it is a tedious process at that! Ideally the car should "auto-detect" phones within range and connect based on a priority list. As well, there should be a toggle button easily accessible while in motion to switch from phone to another (such as if you have a work phone and a personal phone).

Just my Canadian $0.02... which is now almost on par with the US$! B)

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No neutral, w/o powering up? what's up w/ that.
    The hyhi, and our rx-400h, and a host of other hybrids can do it, so it makes no sense.

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Sep 19 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]514844[/snapback]</div>

Not sure what you mean. No "accessory" mode, or you can't shift into neutral without the engine on? Not sure why you'd want to do the latter, but you can do the former by pressing the power button without depressing the brake pedal.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 19 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]514854[/snapback]</div>
    It can't be said any more simple ... no power, means you get no neutral. So ... if/when your car dies, and you CAN'T press the power button to get power, then guess what ... no neutral.
    But other Lexus / Toyota hybrids DO have neutral ... even though the system may have no power. Get it? If/when you do get it, you'll tell yourself, "hey, that IS dumb". "WHY" is that important? If the car's power dies, and you got no neutral, you'll play hell trying to tow it. Better have a flat bead available, or forget about it. Is there a work around? Yes, but most don't know about it, and that being the case, they may be screwed.
    Aparently, a lack of access to neutral is a product of the smart ignition. Some Toyota/Lexus hybrid models mearly have a mechanical key, and when their keys are turned, it unlocks the shifter so that you CAN go to neutral.

8. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Sep 19 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]514885[/snapback]</div>

And why would you need a flat bed when lifting the front wheels off the ground works just fine? The transmission does not effect the rear wheels.

Amazing. You turned a minor issue into a personal attack. When you grow up, the discussion can be resumed.

9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 19 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]514909[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Towing with the front wheels off the ground should be fine, as long as the emergency brake can be released, which naturally has nothing to do with power... or lack thereof.

To Hill's point, the only drawback I can think of to not having access to neutral without power is that if you battery dies, you can't PUSH the car to your dealer. ;)

10. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Sep 19 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]514920[/snapback]</div>
    or to the side of the road

11. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

Steering issue:

I love the car. Its very new to me but the only thing I don't like so far is the constant attention needed to steer the car. A gentleman here on PC a while back wrote a very long and precise dissertation on the problem before I had the car and now I know exactly what he's talking about. Most cars you can just hold the wheel straight and it'll roll down the road pretty true but this car is tight you must make constant non stop minute corrections to drive it straight. I hoping the BT plate I bought but not installed it yet and maybe some new tires might help.
    That and the weird seat to steering wheel position. Not sure what the deal is there but I end up driving the car like a little old lady...sitting upright in the seat up on the steering wheel.Not sure if the seat is to low or to high. I suspect the seat is to high maybe. Other than that I really like the car. Highly recommend it to friends. Thanks.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 19 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]515081[/snapback]</div>
    Have you check the wheel alignment?

I can accelerate without my hands on the wheel (don't try it in a busy place!!!!) and the steering wheel doesn't budge. In fact, a taxi driver here commented on how it's easier on the wrist/hands cause it doesn't require constant correction.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree with Tideland, get the dealer to check the alignment, many of the cars 'off the line' arrive with significant toe-in problems. My car requires almost no effort at all to keep on track.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 19 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]514909[/snapback]</div>
    Didn't mean to get feelings hurt. No personal (or otherwise) attack intended. And I'm sure no one would objectively believe being told to 'grow up' is a personal attack. :rolleyes: But yea, getting the car to the side of the road would be another 'no typical type of neutral' issue as well. Before the point gets any more lost, the hybrid CAN be made w/ a neutral. Simply put, that was the issue of my pet peeve, before it headed to Pluto ... that it CAN be made w/ a traditional type of 'no-power necessary' neutral.

15. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 19 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]515081[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't found the steering to need constant correction at all.
    The car seat position can be tricky because there's no memory and no seat height adjustment -- although I find the seat height quite comfortable. I don't have a problem with it in general, but if my boyfriend, who's much taller than me, has driven it and I have to readjust, then sometimes I can't quite find the correct position. By the way, he doesn't have a problem with the driving position either. You might just need to play with the seat a bit until you find the right combination of distance and back angle.

16. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I also haven't found the steering a problem, it is much better than our 1991 Corolla. Also the driving position is very good, now when I get into other cars I wonder why the steering wheel is so close.

All in all a wonderful car.

17. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The seat adjustment (lackthereof) and non-telescoping steering wheel are the big hold-ups for me ... I've been used to both for quite a while now and it felt sort of strange to drive the Prius with my arms extended so far.

18. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Never noticed a steering issue, so I experimented. Came out of a curve on a parkway and let go of the wheel. The car tracked straight until the next curve (about 1/5 mile). And yes, I did it when there were no cars nearby.

19. PLMurphy

PLMurphy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 10 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]283808[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: Most of which does not bother me. At 5'11", more driver space would be nice. For the cloth seats/trim go to the dealer and get aftermarket leather ($1000). You will never regret it. Aside from the nice ambieance, it wears well for the one year we have had it in both Prius Touring models.

20. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lefat1 @ Sep 19 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]514940[/snapback]</div>
    Uhhh... I can't think of any situation where a dead battery would leave me stranded in the middle of the road... :huh: I would think if the battery is dead, then the car has been parked for a period of time... and presumably not in the middle of live traffic. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 19 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]515081[/snapback]</div>
    As others have replied, I find the Prius no different from other cars in terms of steering. Alignment would definitely be something to check, but what tire pressure are you running? Over-inflating your tires as many people around here do (commonly 42/40psi for front/rear) will slightly increase your fuel economy and stiffen the ride, but may also lighten your steering and feel less stable at high speeds...? Of course, a soft tire may also appear as an alignment problem as well.

Toyota's recommendation is 35/33psi for front/rear; you may want to try that first and see if it makes a difference.