1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I hate about my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by n2y2, Jul 10, 2006.

1. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jul 10 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]283950[/snapback]</div>
    I had that happen all of the time, until I changed gas stations. I think the pumps were set to be too sensitive to back-pressure.

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Jul 10 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]283822[/snapback]</div>
    NOT SO. My dealer checked into this and determined that there are no "optional holes" for moving the seat. His guess is that doing so changes the airbag geometry (too far from the steering wheel = bag not effective; too close to the steering wheel = bag as lethal weapon).

One way of fixing some of the leg issues is to use a thin seat cushion under your butt with no back cushion.
    This gave me my thigh support. Raising yourself too high, however, will put your head up too high requiring you to duck to see overhead traffic lights.

Other things I don't like about my 2004 Prius (some already mentioned by other posters):
    Interior lighting on controls is way too dim; my braille isn't good enough to work them only by feel.
    Side windshield posts are too wide
    Fog lights NOT independent of headlights. They're pretty much useless, actually
    A/C on all the time; puzzling temperature regulating system
    Rear 12v outlet would be handy
    MFD should have better sun glare shielding; unreadable on bright sunny days

3. OriginalGT

OriginalGT New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nda3rdCar @ Jul 10 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]283853[/snapback]</div>
    If you set the smart key system to unlock all doors instead of just the driver door, the hatch will unlock everytime you unlock the driver door. Then you don't need the latch to pop the hatch from the inside. The instructions for setting the system to unlock all doors is in the manual and probably somewhere here on Prius Chat as well.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jul 10 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]283950[/snapback]</div>
    I never have a problem filling mine. I just put the pump on the fastest setting, and it just fills up. Maybe the California pumps are different, but it always works for me. Try another station, and see if it is the car's problem or the pump's. I have never put more than 9.6 gal. in mine, usually in the 8 to 9 gallon range.

5. harrv

harrv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OriginalGT @ Jul 10 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]283993[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I thought that was something you have to get the dealer to change for you.

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(harrv @ Jul 10 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]284001[/snapback]</div>
    Nope it's cake. You just hold down the Unlock and distress buttons on your remote until you hear it beep twice... If I remember correclty, check the manuel just to make sure. Takes two seconds, and makes the smart key feature even cooler.

7. harrv

harrv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sl7vk @ Jul 10 2006, 01:48 PM) [snapback]284008[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, thanks! Also found this online:

http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_smart_entry.htm

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The one thing my old Saturn had that is superior to my Prius is the cruise control. I really don't care if every Toyota has the same, stupid cruise control and they're not going to change it. That doesn't make it less stupid. It's just AWFUL. It's more annoying than anything else on the car.

9. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 10 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]284018[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm... I think the Prius has the best cruise control I have ever used. I definitely would not change that.

Now I have to find someone that has a Saturn to see what the difference is.

10. glenk

glenk Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OriginalGT @ Jul 10 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]283993[/snapback]</div>
    I prefer to keep the extra security of the driver's door unlocking by itself but would also like to release the latch on the rear hatch from the inside. I noticed this "missing feature" at the airport when I picked up my wife and her baggage. She could not open the rear hatch from the outside despite having a smart key on her person. It seems the car has to be in Park or off for the hatch to open?

11. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Jul 10 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]283879[/snapback]</div>
    Chris -

Thanks for the tip! Was that mentioned in the manual? I didn't see it and it's not really an intuitive way to do it.

I still think there's too much "touch screen specific" functionality. You shouldn't have to futz with a touch screen while you're driving.

Mike

12. mike b

mike b New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 10 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]283859[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree!

13. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jul 10 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]283885[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a problem with the front side pillars, possibly because I have short legs, so my seat is far enough forward that the pillars don't block my view. I DID test a SCION and a Corolla when I was car shopping, and both of them had pillars that were totally impossible for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 10 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]284018[/snapback]</div>
    I think I just haven't gotten used to the controls on the CC yet - I haven't done much highway driving so far.

14. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

I am right about the A/C. Let me explain. The last 2 miles of my journey home is a 30mph gentle downward slope. If the A/C is off, I can dead-band the entire span, a huge boost to my MPG average. If the A/C is set to cool or heat, the engine will come on for part of, or the entire trip. Reducing my average MPG. The 4 minutes of thermal discomfort is less important to me than the benefit of zero fuel use, so I always shut down the A/C at the top of the hill.

The thing that baffled me for a long time is this: Quite often the ICE would run under the same circumstances that it would be silent other times. I finally figured out that when the ICE would not shut down, the vents were emitting conditioned air even though the A/C was off. This means that despite disabling the fan and temperature settings, the compressor was still working.

Now if the outside temperature is between 65 and 85, I can adjust the A/C setting to match and the compressor will not activate. It is an annoying work-around, but it works. But, if the temperature is say 94F, then I can't get it to stop at all, even on Max Hot.

I keep getting told (on forms and by the service techs) that the power draw of the A/C system is minor. However when I get out my calculator and compute the difference between Infinite MPG and 40 MPG multiplied over 2 miles, it comes out to be more than a minor difference.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 10 2006, 09:17 AM) [snapback]283861[/snapback]</div>

15. mmccking

mmccking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can't stand the fixed volume MFD beeps.

I do like how the 2006 doesn't beep when you push the INFO button on the streering wheel. That alone almost makes me want to upgrade from my 2005.

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OriginalGT @ Jul 10 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]283993[/snapback]</div>
    Let's say you've left a light on, or somehow drained the the aux battery. If that happened, you'll have to crawl into the trunk around the rear seats in order to trip the manual release to get to it. Hopefully you don't have any stuff in the trunk in your way.

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 10 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]284018[/snapback]</div>
    I think you had the same kind of Saturn as me (1996 SC2?) and I must admit that I liked the cruise control functions a lot more on the Saturn than on the Prius. My husband didn't agree with me and said the Saturn cruise control functions were odd compared to every other car he'd ever been in. :rolleyes:

18. avi

avi New Member

Having the Prius for just 2 weeks I can tell you that the thing that irks me the most are Toyota's lawyers and the people that listen to them. I am so sick an tired of not to be able to use so many features of the car because some lawyer decided to cover Toyota's posterior.

19. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 10 2006, 07:11 PM) [snapback]284120[/snapback]</div>
    Care to elaborate?

20. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dislike:
    Lack of power adjustments on seating
    The stupid antenna that has to be manually unscrewed (which I can't reach without standing on the door sill) if you go into a carwash.
    Lack of moonroof.
    The disproportionatley small wheels and the unusually long distance between the front and back wheels.
    The finish -- my new car does not have a new car shine to it.
    ODO button and the miles per hour/kilometers per hour toggle button, as well as controls on steering wheel, are not lit up when lights are turned on.

Like:
    The cruise control -- I hardly ever used it on my other cars because it didn't have the ability to adjust by 1 mph up or down the way the Prius does (or maybe I just never figured it out). I tried the c.c. for the first time on the Prius during a very long drive Last Sunday, and was pleasantly surprised at how effectively it was at maximizing my mpg -- I was able to get 48-51 mpg while doing 60-76 mph over several hundred miles -- without my having to watch the monitor constantly and adjust my foot on the pedal.

I love the keyless entry system. However, my one insecurity is that when I lock the doors by pushing the little button on the handle, I can't really see the blinking headlight confirmation and I am not always able to hear the actual click of the locks. So, sometimes I am not quite confident that I locked the car properly. I think there should be a short audio beep like there is when you unlock it.