1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I hate about my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by n2y2, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

1) Ground loop problem between Aux jack and Power outlet.
    2) No button(s) on steering wheel to go to the Audio or Climate screens on the MFD. Got a Map and Energy button, why not these?
    3) Better handling. It feels like the car starts to go unstable all at once.
    4) Poor rear wiper. Upgrading to a 20" wiper helped. We'll see how this works out in snow.

Pretty minor stuff.

2. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

Having the user settings change with the FOB is genius. That would be so nice.

What would the car do if both FOBs were in the car? Perhaps the MFD could ask which one to use?

3. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 11 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]284303[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the enlightenment, everyone. I guess it's just as well I didn't get the nav system ... I don't have to be mad at Toyota! ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz @ Jul 11 2006, 07:55 AM) [snapback]284357[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, yes -- I just noticed it does beep. I think I sometimes just don't hear it if there is ambient noise or in certain weather conditions.

Thanks for fixing this insecurity. I'm also insecure about letting someone valet park it. But the last time I did, it seemed to have survived.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't like the label i get when i say i drive a hybrid. :angry:

5. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    not sure if others have written this, i'm too lazy to read everything, but re A/C, turn it off and push the button on the wheel that shows inside air flow, there'll be no, repeat, no air coming thru the vents.
    at least on my beloved '04. :rolleyes:

6. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 11 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]284627[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I love that label. You know, the tree hugging, hippie, trying to save the planet label.

:p

7. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There's really only one thing I dislike about my Prius, and that's the upholstery on the seats (I've got the tan interior). If I'd known how terrible they were to reflect dirt, I would've sprung for leather.

Of course, the silver lining is that they wipe down very easily, but in the three months I've had my car, I've had to wipe the fabric seats/console cover down at least four times (I have a toddler son). I never had to wipe down the fabric of my last three cars with cloth seats during 4, 3.5, and 3 years of ownership.

8. avi

avi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 11 2006, 12:30 AM) [snapback]284327[/snapback]</div>
    Yes I can, but as I said, (1) there are other things that can get you into an accident -- talking on the phone and not paying attention , changing radio stations, talking to your wife (I hope she doesn't read this :)
    (2) It is not Toyota's place to decide what is safe and what is not. As I said, displaying the caller number sounds to me as a very safe thing, much better then pulling the phone out of the pocket in order to see who calls you yet they turned that off.

I'd accept this if Toyota had given us a way to override this lockouts after warning us dearly, but common, what Toyota did is ridiculous.

9. haceaton

haceaton New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 10 2006, 04:53 PM) [snapback]284052[/snapback]</div>
    For the 2006 model, you can't turn off the "auto" A/C with the touchscreen, but you turn it off with the steering wheel control. Once it is completely off, you can set the fan and fresh settings (which automatically turns on the A/C again, but you can then turn it off on the touch screen. The key is that both "Auto" and "A/C" must be dimmed on the touchscreen. It bothered me a lot before I figured this out because the engine would run when I didn't want it too.

I do think it's annoying that the A/C comes back on when you change the fan or fresh air settings.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(avion @ Jul 10 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]284182[/snapback]</div>
    I look forward to the day when someone sues Toyota because they had an accident while reading the terms of the disclaimer on the touchscreen that they were supposed to agree to instead of watching the road. It seems to me much more dangerous to have to read, understand and agree to the terms of a contract while driving compared to a map feature.

Although I normally think that anybody that gets in an accident because they weren't paying attention to the road has nobody to blame but themselves, if I were on the jury I'd make an exception for that case just to punish Toyota's lawyers.

10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(haceaton @ Jul 11 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]284687[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm...I don't have any trouble turning off the auto A/C with the touch screen. I don't remember the exact sequence, but I've done it several times, and not by using the steering wheel controls.

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 10 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]283926[/snapback]</div>
    Perfectly good time to learn a whole new way. Apparently it ISN'T uncommon for Reverse to be up and left (where we expect 1st) in some cars/countries. Besides, consider:
    1. Straight DOWN is Braking mode - a forward 'gear'
    2. Left and DOWN is Drive 0 a forward gear.
    It isn't so wierd as it seems. I admit I too thought left and up should be forward, it just seemed like up and forward would be the same. Someone suggested I visualize the shifter being overhead, then Drive WOULD be forward :)

The 'always returns to home, changing to any gear is ALWAYS the same motion' is brilliant. Further on in the thread someone suggested making buttons for each gear, like there is a button for Park. Plymouth (I think) had that in the 60s. I think it is a BAD idea. You can find the shifter and move it where you want without moving your eyes off the road or feeling around to make sure you have the right button. True, you don't go from Drive to Reverse at speed. However if you live where there are hills, dropping it into Braking mode and then back to Drive at the bottom of the hill is a 'no thought' process. This would not be true with buttons or the 'standard' stick in the floor like the Hybrid Camry (sad loss of funtionality for them!!)

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Very interesting thread - most are legitimate concerns, so I thought I would throw in my $0.02 on some of the arguments that were bought up. I'll start with two that I have not seen mentioned yet.

Roofline - I noticed nobody else has commented on the swooping roofline in the back. I find this a bit of a restriction when moving large cargo. Since the 'floor' with the seats folded is a bit high due to the battery underneath, the swooping roofline somewhat limits the height of the cargo. Another 1" higher would have been nice. I already tried to move a 30" CRT TV that had to be removed from the box to transport (failed by ~ 1"), that would have easily fit in my Integra inside the box. :(

2006 JBL MP3 Radio - I find it painfully slow when skipping MP3 tracks, and even more so when skipping folders. Likewise when trying to display song information - which of course can only be done when stopped. :angry: My Sony MP3 head unit from 2001 could skip MP3 tracks on par with an audio CD and was faster than this JBL unit is.

Seats - originally I found them fairly 'average' but after 2.5 months of ownership I find them decent. Lumbar would be nice though. In terms of positioning, I am 6'2" and keep it on the furthest notch and it is comfortable. Would be nice if it went back another notch or two though.

Rear View Mirror - considering by height, I originally found the rear view mirror interferes with my sight. Tried flipping it upside down, but didn't like it. Does anyone else find that the view our the rear is a bit lower than the horizon - even with an empty vehicle - and aims quite low when there is a load? Seems the roofline cuts down a bit further than it should. When the mirror was upside down, this effect was amplified even further.

Side Mirrors - I find the blindspots are no worse than any other car - as long as you adjust the mirrors correctly! As someone else already mentioned, you should not see your own car in the side mirrors. You are not going to hit yourself. :)

Nav lockout in motion - need I say more. <_< At least we don't need to be stopped to hit that 'I Agree' button! (That would be real bad)

Interior Fabric - still not convinced of how this 'suede' style surface (for lack of a better description) will hold up over time. Likewise for the vinyl finishes, which scratch quite easily. Leather is not an option (yet) for Canada. I also find the grey interior a bit light in terms of dirt concealment, and I can't imagine the bisque as any better.

Hit & Run - sucks to have my car hit only two months into ownership, but I guess I can't fault the car for that... <_<

- Kevin

13. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 10 2006, 03:55 PM) [snapback]284018[/snapback]</div>
    I agree as to the "user interface". It functions remarkably well - holds speed, 1 MPH per 'bump' setting changes. What I do not like which might be your issue as well:
    1. You have to turn the Master on every time you start the car.
    2. It loses the set speed if you drop below 25 MPH. When you get back up to speed, you have to reset it - STUPID, STUPID, STUPID
    3. There is no indication that the CC has control - the light on the dash only tells you the Master is on - STUPID, STUPID, STUPID My Odyssey had a button beside the steering wheel for the master - lit when on. The indicator that you could easily see while driving showed that the CC was engaged
    To me, number 3 is potentially dangerous. They seem to be concerned we might forget WHAT our set speed was if we slow below 25 and then hit Resume when we get close to that speed again and would cause an accident or something. It is more likely that you will speed up while the CC has control (for example a short stretch of higher speed road) then as you back off, the CC takes over and you have no reminder that it IS engaged.

14. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Jul 11 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]284304[/snapback]</div>
    Wrong :) First this isn't MS Windows, it isn't a Start button, it is a Power button. ON/OFF, just like your CD player at home. What if you wanted to go to Ig-ON or ACC mode? Without the Power button you would have to have separate buttons for those too. Cluttering the dash with buttons would just make it more confusing and less user friendly. Let's see, you want a button for:
    1. Park
    2. Reverse
    3. Neutral
    4. Drive
    5. Braking
    6. Ig-On
    7. Acc
    8. and OFF I guess, since you got rid of the Power button
    Thanks, I but I prefer the current design.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Semicharmedguy26 @ Jul 11 2006, 02:20 AM) [snapback]284338[/snapback]</div>
    I totally disagree. The 'soft' buttons are much larger and easier to see than a bunch of knobs, buttons and dials clustered around over and under the radio in most cars. Given all the functions in this car, just how many buttons and dials would we need if we didn't have the functions on the MFD? Just use the Auto A/C button on the wheel :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Linny @ Jul 11 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]284519[/snapback]</div>
    Then turn it off. Instructions are in the Priuschat 'library'

I guess this topic got to me, sorry for all the posts!
    The one I haven't seen:
    I would like the Auto A/C to select the defrost & feet airflow anytime the outside temp is below about 40. In colder climates, you ALWAYS need some amount of defrost below 40.

15. curse

curse New Member

I second the motion to have:

* an MFD display of simulated gages. Seems like a lot of things have sensors and it would be nice to see values for such things as tire air pressure, engine temp, tach, oil pressure etc.
    * some indication that the cruise control is engaged, in addition to just being on.
    * a telescoping steering wheel.
    * conventional fueling practice.

I'd also like to see:

* a 'miles until empty' display on the MFD.
    * a way to enable daytime running lights so that the displays don't dim.
    * a use for the 'Map" button when a Nav system isn't installed. Maybe it could turn the MFD off?
    * a compass display either on the MFD or rearview mirror like other cars
    * less buffeting in turbulence. Even my motorcycle is more solid.

In spite of all of those, I stll love my car.

Cheers

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark M. @ Jul 11 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]284770[/snapback]</div>
    I agree!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark M. @ Jul 11 2006, 11:29 PM) [snapback]284770[/snapback]</div>
    I agree about the CC, but I do not see it as a major issue. Telescopic wheel would be nice though. With regards to the 'fueling', it is the way it is to minimize emissions, and I have only had pump issues once or twice (i.e. early and repeated shut off).

This has been discussed in many threads, and I don't think it is very realistic due to the greatly fluctuating MPGs due to the nature of HSD.

Not sure what you are suggesting - are you looking for a way to keep the display from dimming at night? If you turn the dimming control all the way up so it clicks or else press the Display button and select Day Mode, you should can cancel the dimming feature.

If you are truly looking for DRLs, you can always buy a Canadian car. :)

The 'Map' button is simply not there when the Nav system is not implemented. I have the belief that only 'essential' functions should be on the steering wheel, and I wouldn't consider that to be an essential funciton (IMHO). I think the Display button next to the MFD is fine to achieve this.

I agree - the compass display would be nice, which is pretty much standard for auto-dimming mirrors (?). I never thought the wind turbulence was a factor until last week when I did a long drive in strong winds... but at least this can be compensated by doing things such as upgrading tires.

One other comment I forgot in my earlier post re: the location/configuration of the shifter - even though it is 'unique', I never had a problem adjusting to it from my previous Japanese manual tranny (Reverse to the right and down), and personally find it perfectly located and implemented.

Definitely!

17. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apart from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play? ;)

18. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

How often have you seen a control stick (joystick) protruding from the ceiling?

It is much more natural to see one sticking strait up (not down)

I maintain my position that this was a misstep by the Prius design team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000 @ Jul 11 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]284726[/snapback]</div>

19. SmarterCarThanYours

SmarterCarThanYours Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 10 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]283826[/snapback]</div>

I almost turned left in front of a car I did not see and I think it was the width of the front pillars.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Jul 10 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]283950[/snapback]</div>

put it on slow fill. that should solve your problem

20. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

Sure, I can turn the A/C off with either the steering controls or the MFD. The trouble is that it is never really off. It continues to try and maintain the temperature setting at the time it was 'shut down'

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 11 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]284723[/snapback]</div>