1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I hate about my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by n2y2, Jul 10, 2006.

1. mynew06

mynew06 New Member

1) When a car is at a very specific distance behind you, the divider between the two rear windows creates a blind spot blocking out those other car's headlights. I've noticed this a couple of times at night, when the headlights of other cars are the only indicator of surrounding traffic. Obviously during the day, I'm not concerned with this (altough I'm still getting used to those two small rear windows.)

2) Related: The rear-view camera is only functional when in reverse. It would be a nice feature to have the option to turn it on at will. Is there an override/workaround for this?

3) No remote-starter option (even after-market, if I'm correct)!!???!!!

4) That I sometimes get 99.9 mpg, and sometimes 0. Maybe it should say "N/A" or something when the data is not relevant? How accurate do people find that consumption computer to be?

I love everything else about the car. I'm brand new to the Prius (just picked it up 4 days ago.)

2. cattail722

cattail722 cattail722

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my Prius. No car is perfect, and there are some little flaws...the only one that really really bugs me is the super short visor. It hardly ever blocks the sun, especially on my way to and from work, when I drive the car the most. I can deal with the blind spots, how easily some of the interior plastic scratches, having to remove the stupid nonretractable antenna, but the visors just kill me!

3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeffSchlichter @ Jul 15 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]286711[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius navi has this feature too.

When you are on the freeway, select the "freeway" view of the map, the icon that looks like the US Interstate sign (I think the voice command is "freeway guidance"). You will then have the map on the left and the upcoming exits on the right.

When in this view, along the top of the screen on the right you will see icons for restaurant, gas, etc... this indicates what is available at the selected exit (highlighted in blue). If you select any other upcoming exit, these icons along the top will show what is available at that exit. If you press the "diamond" in the upper right corner of the screen, it will go to a map of that exit, and all the icons will appear. Press on any icon to display the name and/or set it as a destination.

The only limitation is that you cannot display the full profile of that POI (address, phone, etc..) unless you are stopped.

But it is a pretty useful view once you learn how to use it! :)

Kevin

4. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jul 15 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]286809[/snapback]</div>
    Great info Kevin. I have had many times when this feature was just what I needed (but I didn't know it existed); I can hardly wait to use it. I thought that I had a good basic understanding of the nav sys but now I am reading the owners manual again looking for more nuggets.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mynew06 @ Jul 15 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]286775[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.darelldd.com/ev/prius_mfd_video.htm shows you how to make this happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ Jul 15 2006, 11:56 AM) [snapback]286830[/snapback]</div>
    One thing you can do is that if you have a 2005, you can do the NAV override (or if you cut the wire on a 2006). That way you can get to the information without stopping, and even make a call (as long as the number is on that INFO screen). It's nice if you want to call ahead for a reservation.

6. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JeffSchlichter @ Jul 15 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]286711[/snapback]</div>
    I test drove the 06 Civic Hybrid before test driving the Prius. It felt like my nice person was dragging on the ground, was considerably smaller, and the engine felt like it dragged. even though I could have bought the Civic for 21,700, I opted for the Prius at 23,770.

7. miwaku

miwaku New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark M. @ Jul 11 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]284770[/snapback]</div>
    Someone already told mentioned clicking the interior light dimmer all the way up for Day Mode, but as for DRL's, just turn your lights on & leave them on - all the time. They go off when you power off & open a door.

8. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airpolgas @ Jul 14 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]286600[/snapback]</div>
    At the base of the wiper, there is a plastic cap. Splay the edges outward and lift if off, and you can leave the rear wiper up for cleaning. It pops back on very easily.

9. km5er

km5er New Member

Too small a gas tank

AND

Doors do not auto lock once you start to drive.

Other then this....a great car!

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  11. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    After driving the 07 Camry, a telescopic Steering Wheel would be nice.... But that may be asking a bit much....

12. pendetim

pendetim Junior Member

Had our 2006 Prius for 6,000 miles. I dislike it sooooo much I considering trading it in. These are the main squawks:

1. Seats. Can't sit in them for more than 30 minutes or they pinch the back of my legs and cut off the circulation. I am trying different cushions for the seats now but have not really found any solution yet. Moved the seats back/forward etc with no luck. They really need to tilt to support the backs of my legs differently. Tis is a real show stopper for me. What good is a car if I can't sit in it? Toyota needs a basic lesson in ergonomics.

2. Lumbar support!!

3. Steering wheel is too far away. (See gripe #1 seats)

4. Cruse control. Should only be say "cruse" when it is actually engaged and controlling the speed. It lights up now when it is enabled (as opposed to engaged)

5. A Pillar blocks vision.

6 Glare on MFD.

7 "Visors" should extend so side windows can be covered when sun is at 3 and 9 o'clock.

8 Miles to empty (or Gal remaining in tank)

9 Nav system able to memorize routes not just destinations.

10 Doors auto lock / unlock when in drive/park

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 13 2006, 07:22 PM) [snapback]286002[/snapback]</div>
    Good thing...or I might have thought it was YOU I saw a few weeks ago...thought I was about to get my first official Prius Wave, when an empty cigarette pack came out the window. Bah and Humbug. :angry:

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pendetim @ Aug 12 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]302325[/snapback]</div>
    I solved these two issues with the Sacro-Ease Seating Support from Relax The Back.

[​IMG]

15. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mynew06 @ Jul 15 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]286775[/snapback]</div>
    Is a remote starter necessary for a car that doesn't need warming up? (Can you tell I live where there is no real winter?)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miwaku @ Jul 15 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]286932[/snapback]</div>
    Actually...it seems to HAVE to be the driver's door--I know they don't go out when the front passenger door gets opened, but haven't checked the others.

16. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 12 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]302406[/snapback]</div>
    Don't smoke. EWWW.

So it could not have been me.

17. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Aug 12 2006, 09:20 PM) [snapback]302427[/snapback]</div>
    Well...I was in California at the time, anyway...not Florida...

Regardless of the TYPE of litter, it boggled my mind that an OBVIOUSLY environmentally-conscious individual would throw ANY trash out of her car window. How can one spend so much money on THIS car and be SO clueless???? :angry:

18. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pendetim @ Aug 12 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]302325[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry about that. My wife loves the seats, prefers them to the HyCam. I don't mind either. There is a mod you can do, to make the front of the seat rise a bit; requires some skills, and a few parts, but it's not so bad.
    Yikes, then I don't know what to say. You did not notice that when you test drove it?
    How odd.

Yeah, that can be tricky, but you know, it's not hard to understand. At least it says 'cruise'. In the HyCam, it's just this little odd symbol, that can be easily mistaken for the (almost exact) same symbol, on the left side of the panel, that is for the lights.

Again, could be worse. The HyCam has no hood whatsoever on the MFD. But I don't seem to notice much, if any glare.

Can't do that. Gas bladder, as I understand it, won't let you. But you know, in the olden days, you didn't have that anyway, so what's the big deal? And if you look at your average MPG, and do the math, you can get a rough idea of how much gas you have left.

Nav system does a lot, for the money. IMHO. Again, you know, in the olden days, you would have to, (strange as it once may have seemed), to memorize routes. At least with the NAV, you get assistance.

I guess if you are that annoyed at the car, you shouldn't own it, and I'm sure someone would love a low mileage used Prius...

Seems like little things, that wouldn't bother me much, but I'm more tolerant of that sort of thing, seeing as I knew what I was buying when I bought the car, and frankly, it's better then my old nB was.

Good luck!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 13 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]302435[/snapback]</div>
    :D
    Agreed. People all around, can be clueless. Example: I was telling my brother tonight, if everyone just put the carts away, at the store, they would not have to hire a person whose job it is, to put away the carts. And that could be passed onto us, as a saving.

However, that would mean we would have to be less lazy, and we can't have that, can we? Oh no.

Sometimes, since I don't have kids, I wonder. Who am I saving the planet for, anyway?

(Oh, yeah, for other people... B) )

19. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pendetim @ Aug 12 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]302325[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Aug 12 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]302439[/snapback]</div>
    My '91 Acura had one light that noted when the CC COULD be engaged, and a second one to indicate that it WAS engaged. I miss that. Sometimes, I can't tell immediately with the Pri and would appreciate the secondary info.

And yup, TJ&Gen...for other people. Something TOO many people forget in regard to a whole lot of stuff (like...alternative fuels, global warming, stem cell research, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...). <_<

20. JasonQG

JasonQG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 12 2006, 08:35 PM) [snapback]302409[/snapback]</div>
    Even living in the same non-winter climate as you, I could see where it might be nice to fire it up to get a head start on defrosting the windows in the "winter." If you lived in a place with real winter, it would be even handier.