1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I like best . . . and least

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tomel, Oct 14, 2005.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    - coolness factor of MFD and all the technology
    - nav system
    - SKS
    - hybrid system and knowing that I'm recapturing some energy that would otherwise be lost to heat
    - lots of cargo room

dislikes:
    - interior lights (map and dome) don't turn off automatically after xx minutes to prevent draining the battery
    - no count up/journey time in trip computer
    - needs a bit more power [keep in mind I just sold my 255 hp Nissan Maxima but still have my 287 hp 350Z]
    - saying the temperature via voice recognition forces it into auto climate control mode
    - no way to raise/lower fan speed via voice
    - climate control via MFD is cumbersome compared to having physical buttons and knobs, esp. to raise or lower temps

Other comments:
    JBL "premium" stereo is ok. I've heard a lot worse stock car stereos (like in older Toyotas and my Nissan 350Z) but it's not quite a "premium" stereo. It's on par w/some stock stereos in cheapy GM cars [which are surprisingly not bad]. I've got some other smaller gripes but not enough to warrant putting on this list.

2. bcmarks

bcmarks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Pros: Environmentally and economically friendly; Toyota reliability; fun to drive. Love the SKS -- I’ve had the same experiences of having to dig for keys in another car.

Ride is great, especially for a relatively small car -- except for one experience on a really torn up road -- rather bumpy. Sharp turning radius is great. Handles well in all situations I have tried.

Seats are comfortable and have good adjustment - I would have liked some lumbar support. Interior is well laid out and lots of things are standard that aren't usually found on small cars.

Cons: Others have mentioned the rear window visibility -- I find it most annoying at night, when the headlights of the approaching car get hidden by the spoiler. It's hard to judge just where the car is behind you.
    Don’t like the cruise reset on slowing down. Is this a Toyota quirk or a hybrid quirk?

Another annoyance: I was driving on a dark road at night with a thermos of coffee in the cup holder. When I picked up the thermos to drink and then tried to "find" the cup holder in the dark, it was virtually impossible. I almost spilled my coffee. A small light under the dash to illuminate the cup holder area would be a big plus.

I have had my '06 Tideland (#3) for about 3 weeks and have enjoyed every minute of driving (as has my wife). It's great that it helps you learn how to drive more efficiently. I haven't really been able to determine the mpg well yet. One tankful for mostly my routine driving of about 6 miles of start&stop stoplight to stoplight driving yielded in the low 40's -- probably not bad for that inefficient type of driving.