1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I want for Xmas: a Hybrid Minivan

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Sacto1549

Sacto1549 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I wonder has Toyota seriously looked at the possibility of a Sienna minivan with the Hybrid Synergy Drive system.

And it may not be that hard to implement--they should just borrow the HSD drivetrain from the Lexus RX400h crossover SUV. The only problem may be the fact a hybrid drive Sienna with the RX400h drivetrain could cost around US$42,000 to sell. :eek:

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    With baby #3 here any day now, we're looking for something with a tad bit more back seat room than our 2002 Prius. The 2004 is adequate until the 2010 is in the driveway, but a hybrid Estima, Sienna, or "Wish" would be perfect. A 3rd row seat would be ideal to allow the kids some stretch room for longer trips. I'd prefer a Camry HSD economy platform over a Highlander HSD power platform.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I suspect Toyota has been limited by the availability of hybrid components. Recall that until recently, Toyota has not been able to manufacture enough Prius, let alone introduce another major hybrid seller in the U.S. market. That may change with increased capacity and the downturn in the economy.

Tom

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good point. Another possibility is that they want to wait until the next gen battery (Li-Ion) becomes available.

Nevertheless, I'm sure there are those who buy a Prius simply because a hybrid minivan was not available.