1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I would want to see on future Priuses

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Roger3125, Oct 31, 2006.

1. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Seen many of these lists, but have yet to see anyone say "Leave this out, and lower the price!" So I will...
    - The console is pretty much useless, especially way the door opens. Too low to rest my arm on and I don't keep a lot of crap in the car. Get rid of it and perhaps put foldable arm rests on the seat back. Both hands should be on the steering wheel, anyway.
    - Get rid of the console radio controls and put the radio under the seat or somewhere making room for more storage space or bigger MFD, although that might cost more.
    - the rear spoiler is stupid and non-functional. Its just there to disguise the fact that there are two rear windows, necessitated by the fact rear visibility would be really low if only the upper window was there and doing a one piece over that contour would be really expensive.
    - lose the wheel trims.
    - What's with the expensive cabin filter? Wouldn't a simple screen to keep out dead leaves and small critters suffice?
    - The coolant thermos is cute, but does it really help that much?
    - optional A/C, but then I grew up in Vegas w/o A/C on my 57 Chevy, so I'm probably not typical.

'nuff for now.

2. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heated seats
    Electric adjustable seats, with memory, so that if the wife opens the drivers door with her smart-key, it puts itsellf in the right position, and when I open the door with my key, it puts itself in the right position for me. Same goes for the mirrors.
    Li-ion battery.
    Navigation system where the turn preview can pop-up even when you are in another screen, e.g. if you are having a call, or are in the audio screen.
    On the conumtion screen, it would be great if you could touch each yellow bar and get information like fuel consumption, distance driven.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RonH @ Oct 31 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]341578[/snapback]</div>
    I don't use Toyota's air filters any more. I just go to Canadian Tire and get MicronAir's particulate filter for Cdn$20, compared to Toyota's asking price of $34.95 for a dust & pollen filter.

As for the coolant, try starting the car once with hot coolant circulating and the next morning without the hot coolant circulating (you can do that by letting the car cool outside in the evening, turn the car on and let the hot coolant cycle, turn off, wash the car with cold water and then turn the car on again and let the coolant cycle). Tell me which one nets you better mileage. It was 0°C this morning and surprisingly, my engine shut off at the first traffic light on the main street.

4. dachshund

dachshund New Member

The passenger mirror rotates toward the curb automatically in Reverse.

Sunroof.

The remote key will open all the windows, such as with a press-and-hold activation of the unlock button.

I'd really love it if the driver's side mirror had auto-dimming. I feel like I need a pull-down shade at night. :)

If they can detect when a passenger is in the front seat, then they can disable the NAV lock-out.

A true integration with the iPod would be excellent.

5. chimohio

chimohio New Member

Most everything that's been said.

Mute capability for the stereo

More leg room

Always on 12v power (yes I know there's a mod)

Built in bike rack

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dachshund @ Oct 31 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]341587[/snapback]</div>
    Out of curiosity, how do you have your mirrors adjusted? Most people do not adjust their mirrors properly - you should not be able to see the side of your own car in the mirror. Try moving it a bit further so your car is just out of sight, and it greatly reduces your blindspots and as an added bonus you don't get the headlights of the car behind you shining in your eyes. ;)

Otherwise, I agree with most of the suggestions made here - most important (IMHO) being the ones related to more adjustment for the seats. Don't necessarily need power, just 8-way with lumbar would suffice. :)

7. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One feature not mentioned so far is an automatic cruise control that if you come up behind another vehicle it slows you down to the speed of that vehicle. If the other vehicle speeds up then the cruise control takes you back to your originally speed.
    Toyota have had this system working under test.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Oct 31 2006, 05:07 PM) [snapback]341644[/snapback]</div>
    It's actually available on a number of vehicles

Mark X
    Crown
    LS460
    ES350
    GS430

This would be the "dynamic radar cruise control". Don't confuse it with Toyota's Laser Cruise Control (LS430, Sienna) as the laser cruise control is the basic one that keeps the distance but does NOT slow you down to a crawl.

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All these responses, and not one request for a larger fuel tank/bladder? That's my #1 wish - I'd kill for a more reasonably sized tank.

Other simple wishes:

Auto headlights (on/off)
    Auto wipers
    Ability to autolock all doors when the fob walks out of range.
    Digital fuel level readout
    Lifetime mileage tracking
    Trip mileage tracking (independent of current tank)
    Larger 12V battery.

And on the not terribly likely side...

Integrated solar tiles on the roof capable of charging the traction battery
    Built in weather radar overlayed on the nav system
    Dynamic radar cruise control.
    Sun Roof

-Ken

10. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 31 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]341419[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: I had that vent in my 99 Rav....we called it the "gitchy vent" :lol: :lol: :lol: I sure do miss that vent...

11. wombat1

wombat1 New Member

Stronger braking action. It's fine in rural areas with light traffic and with decently maintained roads but the braking is frankly worrisome in urban areas particularly those with poorly maintained roads, lots of bumps and patches and plenty of traffic driving too fast and tailgating.

I'm not an engineer, and don't know how they could do so without defeating the regenerative aspect of the braking system, but the present brakes don't inspire me with a lot of confidence and the change in how quickly you stop seems to change in an unpredictable manor. I've changed to much more aggressive tires (which has affected milage) and this helps, but it's still an issue.

I hope Toyota is listening.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry, but I only skimmed through the suggestions. Being so familiar with Toyota's approach and after having lived through a much anticipated Prius generational upgrade myself already, my opinion is different.

Based on that history, especially if you recall the Prius debut back in 1997, you'll likely agree with my prediction that many of the features you'd like to see added or upgraded will be saved for the 2009.

I expect that new model to absolutely crush the competition. Toyota has given them plenty of warning that they are very serious about hybrid technology becoming a fundamental offering from them. So including a whole mess of irresistible goodies is something they should have seen coming. It will cause enthusiasts to crave that newest Prius, especially current owners yearning to upgrade (like me). And flooding the market with used older models works out fantastic for everyone, as some of us have already witnessed.

I'm excited, so much so that the wait is no big deal... knowing it will be well worth every minute.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How about more items that can be changed on the MFD (like changing what doors unlock when the handle is grabbed)?

Maybe have the passenger seat sensor set so if a weight of 50 pounds or more, the computer assumes there's a passenger to operate the NAV system and it will allow operation while in motion.

14. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm all for this as well!

I do keep my mirrors set as you mentioned sarge, can't see theside of the car. But you still have these schmuks that think they can leave their lights on high beam especially on their jacked up monster truck and show to the world that they have those driving/fog lights on at all times. these are the times an auto dimming side mirror would be great.

15. mrg

mrg Member

16. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mdiguy @ Oct 31 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]341687[/snapback]</div>
    It may not have good brake feel, but in a panic stop, it does stop pretty well. And I came from a Volvo, which had great brakes. It could have better feel, though, both braking and steering. I was considering my old CRX, and was almost wishing for manual steering on the Prius, just to get a better road feel.

17. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Have the ability to change all readouts from km to miles including mpg vs L/100km
    2.Sunshade extensions to cover those annoying open spots.
    3. Non reflecting dash on windshield view??????
    4. More nice hanging hooks like in the Toyota Sienna .....no space goes unused.
    5. Current radio station always displayed without having to bring up the Audio display.
    6. Compass and altimeter on rear view mirror.
    7. Indication to tell when Cruise is engaged ---- not just when on/off.

If any of these are confusing to you please direct your questions to my wife.
    Gary

18. 10brooks

10brooks New Member

I'd love to see some type of Heads up display. Showing Speed, RPM,Instant Fuel Mileage, AVG fuel Mileage, CD track ETC. Right on the windshield. Have one for my Motorcycle (mounts to the helmet) and is super slick. Time for one (affordable) in cars.
    Telescopic wheel would be great. 6'3" and the wheel is too far away

19. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Oct 31 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]341438[/snapback]</div>
    I would like the above, with a much larger array of instruments displayed the each side of the MFD energy display. I would like a lot of the info available on The CAN, like amps, traction battery voltage, ICE RPM, etc.
    :)

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Add a device that'd tap into Hummer gas tanks ... whether parked or driving along side you. Heck, they obviously don't worry about fossle fuel waste! :^)