1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What I would want to see on future Priuses

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Roger3125, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Oct 31 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]341670[/snapback]</div>
    One potential downside to a larger tank is increased weight, and heavier car = (marginally) lower MPG. But it would be cool to go even further. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Oct 31 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]341670[/snapback]</div>
    Canadian models actually have this feature (and I'm not talking about DRL). :) We just can't get HIDs or leather on our cars (not yet, anyway).

There was actually a recent thread about this topic, which boiled down to having such a feature would defeat the whole purpose of the smart key since the car will not lock if the key is left inside. Unlocked car (with key!) = easy theft target. By pressing the black button on the handle when you get out and hearing the short chirp, you guarantee your car is safely locked - and you didn't leave your key inside. :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tleonhar @ Oct 31 2006, 10:42 PM) [snapback]341707[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I agree that a dimming side-mirror would be nice to have as well; my point was just that much of the 'need' can be reduced (not eliminated) by proper mirror adjustment. Typically, someone will always be following you at a constant distance shining lights in your eyes, while your side mirrors show people in other lanes who are going slower or faster than you, which is usually temporary.

Similarly, many owners don't seem to realize that the interior rear view mirror stem is actually double-jointed. If you grab the mirror frame and push straight up with reasonable force, you can move it up a little further, reducing the front-right-hand blind spot some taller drivers (such as myself at 6'2") seem to encounter as a result of the mirror placement, and may have otherwise rotated the mirror upside down to reduce. ;)

2. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would love to see a mute button on the steering wheel. My blue tooth phone when it gets a call mutes the music, however, my other cell phone isn't connected to the car in any way and I'd love to be able to hit one button and mute the sound.

Now given that, the Prius is one sweet ride. I've only owned mine for a couple of months but already have been approached by several people interested in them.

3. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with many of the feature being requested.

I'd like to see the design of a couple of things improved:

There is a gap between the hatchback door and the roof into which leaves and other debris fall. You cannot clean these off from the outside with the door closed. When you open the door, all the stuff accumulated there falls inside the trunk.

If the car is parked at a slight angle (leaning towards the passenger side), water (from rain or washing) accumulates in the slight dip in the black plastic under the windshield. There is no drain hole on the passenger side.

It's nice that there are two outlets to charge your cell phone, but neither of them seem to be in a very practical location. If you plug it in to the one in the front under the dash, there's no place to put the cell phone. If you use the one inside the console, the phone is very difficult to get at if you're driving.

4. geraldc

geraldc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Computerized pulse and glide?

It could be a special form of cruise control - set the average speed and the computer will P&G around it.

Alternatively, a freewheeling feature.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Nov 1 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]342134[/snapback]</div>
    You already have that. Just hold the MODE button.

It toggles the sound system on/off, which is even better than mute since it stops the CD too.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's been said before, more than once, but it can't be stressed enough: Better rear visibility!

And you folks asking for larger gas tanks, welcome to the world of low-MPG vehicles! I've always driven them, and the Prius has the largest gas tank of any new car I've ever had.

For that matter, the Prius has the most leg/elbow room of any new car I've ever had.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Nov 2 2006, 07:09 AM) [snapback]342499[/snapback]</div>
    You haven't sat in a Camry ;) heh.

Yeah, I don't think a larger gas tank is the solution. Ok, maybe a 50 litre tank which is only 5 litres more than what it is now.

Without the bladder, we can easily do 1000kms on the mileage we're getting now.

8. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I’d like the central locking to close any open windows.

I’ve done 2000 miles on my Prius and not yet got used the length of the bonnet (hood) or lack of it. I’d like an indicator that tells me when I’m parked equidistant between two parked cars.

9. mrtn-phd

mrtn-phd New Member

Don't change aything. It is perfect as it is.

Actually, thanks to this forum, the three annoying things to me were easily rectifed.

1. The reverse beeper was easily disabled.
    2. The rear window wiper clip keeping it from standing up by itself was easily modiied.
    3. The funky wheel covers were easily removed. Looks much better without them.

I really do like it the way it is without any other changes.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Nov 1 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]342153[/snapback]</div>
    We solved that problem for our cross Canada/US trip by buying two Radio Shack dual plugs so we has our portable Sirius satellite radio and cell phone plugged into the arm consol outlet and the portable cooler and Garmin GPS pluged into the one below the passenger glove box.
    Gary

11. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    GPS with traffic information

GPS with better 3d view

auto door locking after starting the car

better rear view vision

Li-ion battery.

automatic cruise control

DVD Movie player not visible from driver when driving. I've seen something called Duel screen which can display two images on one screen viewable from diffent angles.

Current radio station always displayed without having to bring up the Audio display.

Better mp3/wma track/file switching while driving.

12. MPG > HP

MPG > HP Junior Member

I find using the CC almost exclusively for throttle control results in the most consistent fuel mileage, plus it lets me keep my eyes more on the road than the speedo. So here is my...

Cruise control wishlist

1. CC that stays enabled between power downs, so you don't have to reenable on every trip.

2. CC that remembers the last maximum setting, before it was tripped off below 24mph, so you can just select Resume, from a standing start, to let the CC get you back up to a fixed speed - very helpful in residential neighbohoods.

3. Mount the CC off the steering wheel, either on the steering column or on the center console where it's in easy "flipping" reach of your fingers (oriented ergonomically, in a way that won't induce carpal tunnel syndrome after heavy use).

4. Add an extra button to toggle between "Max Acceleration" and "Max Economy" modes, so you can adjust the CC's rate of Resume acceleration, to suit following traffic.

5. Add an extra button where, when pressed while selecting Resume/Accelerate or Set/Decelerate, will increase or decrease the CC setting up or down by 5mph, instead of 1mph (combine with the toggle above in 4.?)

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hobbs @ Nov 2 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]342573[/snapback]</div>
    You can go down to the local hardware store and buy a thin piece of wire or a cheap antenna and mount it on the front number plate bracket so that you can easily judge the front end of the vehicle.

14. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where's my passenger ejector seat?

I really need it when a blind date becomes awkward.

15. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Nov 1 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]342134[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know about other models, but I found that on my 06 I can hold the MODE button for about 2 seconds and it turns the radio off... Not quite a mute, but good enough in my book.

16. FarmGeek

FarmGeek New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Oct 31 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]341670[/snapback]</div>

Ken,

I did include a larger fuel tank in my post #7 especially driving 120 miles round trip to work.

Tom

17. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Ken, how much bigger would the tank need to be and how far will you travel to kill. We might be able to work something out. :rolleyes:

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kablooie @ Nov 3 2006, 03:12 AM) [snapback]343074[/snapback]</div>
    Blind date ... how 'bout SPOUSE /awkwardness ... like when the start complaining that "you keep punching buttons on the screen, rather than talk to me". Notice I kept this gender neutral (didn't want to offend any one)? Hope my spouse never reads this, (s)he never gets my jokes.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Oct 31 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]341670[/snapback]</div>
    Sheez! How big would you want it (remembering the more weight you add the worse your MPG becomes) ?? Even beginner drivers get 45mpg in the Prius. At 10 gallons, thats 450 miles of travel . . . and if you do 60mpg (many on the list regularly do), that's 600 per tank. So, I don't get it.

20. mrg

mrg Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Nov 3 2006, 08:47 PM) [snapback]343610[/snapback]</div>
    I am still on my first tank of gas in my 2007. But I never was able to put over 8.25 gallons in my 3 years of driving my 2004 Prius. That was after driving on 1 blinking bar for so long I just knew I was going to run out of gas. I usually could only get 7 or 7.5 gallon in on 1 blinking bar. I don't top off. :blink: