1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What, if anything, is a problem with the GIII?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, May 6, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Huh? On the non-17" wheels, aren't they still alloy wheels underneath the plastic wheel cover? That's the way it's always been on the base wheels on the Gen 2 and 3. (Yes, I know the wheel design/pattern has changed w/the '12s vs. the '10-11 models.)

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't had any long trips of hundreds of miles / day. Lot of 70 mile or so days. Seats seem pretty good, but I think more lumbar support would be good. Certainly can't complain cause they fit the class of car. I've felt much worse.

3rd gen seats are completely different than the 2nd gen - different seat frames, cushions, upholstery. It's a larger seat frame too. I think they used ECO foam in 3rd gen. Has a different feel which I like. Pretty soft. Power seat should be the best.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New plastic wheelcover on '12, same alloy wheel underneath, just black on '12.

I think he's saying the 15's aren't designed to be un-covered bare alloys. I don't like them with wheelcovers removed - the groove on outer edge looks to me like a wheel that ought to have a cover on it. I really don't like black wheels, blech. Look like something from Batman.

I used to pee and moan about the 15's and plastic covers, blah. Couldn't care less now. It's a Prius, gets 50 MPG, has plastic wheelcovers, ...

maybe the only pain will be removing them before going in for service. Don't want them tossing them around the shop. Very little clearance for wheel nut driver with hubcap on. Might as well take them off ... good time to clean under the wheelcover.

1 person likes this.
  4. cassiocm

cassiocm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We just got a 2012 GenIII (3) and there is definitely a trade off in the current model. For instance, you do get rear view camera and Entunes at this level, but I have a sense the Toyota had to cheapen some other areas. The dash is completely hard plastic. It is OK, but definitely a car in this price range should have a little better. The sun visors don't extend. The GPS/Entunes display gets washed out in sunlight and most of the settings and vehicle information have been taken away or have one or two choices. Finally, the wheels. Undersized and plain ugly!

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    The sun visors didn't extend on the Gen 2 either. (I do miss that as they extended on both my 04 350Z and 02 Maxima.)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't had any of the water pumps replaced on the 2005 (it has 170,000km).

Here are my complaints after 40,000km

• Rattles. These roads are not good on the plastics (or just run it at 35/33 instead of 38/36)
    • Moonroof creaks (again, may be due to the rough roads. Last year was particularly bad on the car)
    • CD player skips (Gen 6 nav)
    • In-dash nav is nice to have but as others have mentioned here, it can be quirky to use
    • Hate scrolling on the MFD. Only the Phonebook has shortcuts to jump the pages but navigating music or POI icons is painfully slow
    • Doors still sound tinny and cheap.
    • No door pockets (just a bottle holder)
    • No shelf on the upper glovebox
    • Unlined bottom glovebox (I just got some foam from Michael's and cut out a piece to line the box)

Here are my likes (over the Gen 2)

• No thermos coolant! (much faster warm-up)
    • I thought the front seats were nicer and they seem a bit wider
    • Better front speakers on the JBL audio system
    • More cargo height under the tonneau cover( a few cm taller)
    • Love the SPVS esp. in the hot summer months
    • Seems a bit quieter
    • Engine is definitely much quieter
    • Engine shut down is much smoother (even when cold)
    • PWR mode is niiiiiice
    • LED taillights

The 2012 price drop is great. Most people probably won't miss the features that they took out (though I do like my 2010 WITH those features) and it's the same price as a 2004/2005 Pkg B as you've mentioned but with way more features.

Note that we don't get LED DRLs :confused: but the power driver's seat is a nice addition. Also, the rear all-weather mats are now one-piece and cover the centre "tunnel" area.

I would also take both the Tech and non-Tech packages out and check out both head units (the DA 6.1" and the Premium 7") and see which one you prefer.

1 person likes this.
  7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    2012 price drop? I guess that's a Canadian thing as it didn't go down here (Toyota raises prices on 2012 Prius by between $480 and $1,045). However, the equipment included w/the various levels and options changed...

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Our base price came down from $27,800 to $25,995 and added bluetooth handsfree and DA headunit with bluetooth audio streaming.

The Tech Pack dropped from $37.2k to $34k but it was decontented (but kept the SR and DRCC/PCS from last year). No HUD or LED DRLs but we do get the Premium 7" HDD nav and power driver's seat.

9. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Finding worse seats might be harder than you think, either way it's damning with faint damning.

Seat is all shape and design. A bad seat costs as much to make as a good seat.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly, hence my first comment. :)

11. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To summarize this thread, I think I'd say this: There are lots of things that are mildly annoying to various people, but no widespread failures. There are a few known mechanical issues that Toyota will fix, mostly in the category of "my car shouldn't be making this noise". There's no major pattern of dead-on-the-side-of-the-road breakdowns or anything like that, just the few anecdotes that there would be for any reasonably reliable car.

12. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The engine knock may be an issue, we don't know the long term consequences of it.

I would think you'd want to upgrade to a Gen III just so that you could have a normal gas tank and an actual idea of how much gasoline is in the car.

13. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's time for TOYOTA to put a ICE temperature gauge, as standard equipment on all new PRIUS !!...:clock:

14. NargilFenris

NargilFenris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What is wrong with the seats? I have driven several times on trips over 3 hours and felt fine at the end. Of course all my previous cars were several years old by the time I got them and their seats were compeletly broken down.

1 person likes this.
  15. PeteinPG

PeteinPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I picked up my IV three weeks ago in the LA area and drove it home 350 miles.

Maybe it's just me, but these are very comfortable seats and the center armrest is at just the right height for my right arm to rest. I drove home on 101 N and truly enjoyed the ride and scenery - lots of beauty along the way.

I'm still figuring out a lot of the features and functionality of the car. I do have the Solar Package with upgraded HD Nav which I enjoy.

The mods I have are a rear sway bar (port installed) and I replaced the oem horns with Fiamm (high and low tone) and I removed the VPNS which I found annoying.

The seats are as comfortable as my BMW 530xi wagon. Not nearly as quiet or powerful (of course), but it's as comfortable imo. Very nice.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I make the 4 hour trip to see the grandkids quite often and I have never had an issue with the seats. Neither has my wife.

I do not have back or other issues so I guess the seat issue is a personal issue and not necessarily with the seats.

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a dang thing wrong. I highly suggest buying the new Prius and keeping your existing Gen II for a winter car/daily go anywhere car.

Mike

18. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    No lemons here!Only had my GenII about a year.GenIII much improved, If you can swing it go for it,Should get good resale on your GenII?

19. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you think urethane bushings would cure the changes in alignment? Are they standard round bushings or some odd shape that would have to have a mold made for?

Mike