1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is Apple going to announce on Sept. 9th?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by apriusfan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is the ability to invoke a magnify function when you are in a text entry mode by pressing and holding the pressure until a little magnification glass appears. But I don't believe the magnify function is generally available (such as press and hold anywhere on the screen). A 'large print' function would make the iPod Touch and iPhone more usable for visually challenged users (of all ages). The question is whether Apple wants to task the development resources with delivering the functionality.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The exploding iPods were actually in the Prii with the exploding batteries. You can cross-search to find the correlation. :D

3. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not going to change on 9/9 and unlikely to in the near future.

15 out of close to 100 million? And some of those were sat on or dropped. Not a bad track record, if you ask me.

Have you used an iPhone for an extended period of time? I can type faster on an iPhone than I can on a tiny keyboard.

I'm not saying that the iPhone can't be improved, but you're rehashing old arguments that don't have any real merit to them.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I chat with friends on FaceBook via iPhone. I'm pretty sure they are using a full-sized keyboard and I still type faster than they.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    And if someone as incompetent as Tony can do it, anyone can!

(Sorry Tony, but the linked story fell to something like page 5... we can't let that happen!)

6. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am sure it will be another overhyped object that does the exact same thing as other products, but locks you into their proprietary overpriced money making scheme for content and accessories.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I guess we'll count Professor Chaos as a Microsoft fan. :rolleyes:

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I looked at a Touch in a store. I tried to type on it. I could not do it without multiple errors. I think roughly half the letters came out wrong. My Asus with the 9-inch screen and real keyboard lets me type almost normally.

9. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My iPhone took some getting used to, but like cpatch, I'm pretty fast typing on it now.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Who is suffering from an extended case of iPod/iPhone envy.

11. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't consider myself a fan. In fact between myself and my wife I have purchased 4 iPods, and I bought her an iPhone back when it was just edge and wi-fi before it went 3G. I do prefer windows boxes, but it has everything to do with money. For $1600 + for a Macbook Pro I can buy a Windows Gaming laptop with nearly double the specs.

I am not saying that Apple doesn't make great or innovative products, but there is a difference in paying a $20 - $50 premium for an iPod or PDA vs a $500 premium for a comparable computer.

12. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LOL I am an early adopter so it is a little hard to be envious of a product that you have supported since 2002 or 2003. I was on the iPod band wagon back before hardly anyone knew what they were. Back then the display wasn't in color it only had 5GB, and it didn't have click wheel, it was also fat by todays standards it was more of an iBrick, oh and back in those days they also only worked with my Mac with the firewire.

13. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone asked about a link to the exploding iphones, here it is:
    Exploding iPhone injures French teen ? The Register
    In the article there are also a couple other links, one to a Seattle TV station that did a piece on them. I agree with what someone else posted "15 out of..." is so far an almost immeasurable percentage, but remembering the Macbook/Dell/Sony battery issue of a few years ago, I suspect any reputable company would want to be on top of it.

I'm with Daniel on the typability on the iphone keyboard, trying one out in a store, it took an effort for me to get even 50% accuracy. For the record, I use a Palm Centro/Sprint (YUCK, the service not the phone) for work and a Treo 650/GSM when we travel. With the unlocked GSM, you can pick up a local prepaid SIM in whatever country you're in for a fraction of AT&T's international roaming rates.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What about the frustration penalty? I would gladly pay $500 to avoid the frustration of dealing with Windows Vista....

15. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    iPods with cameras.

iTunes upgrade with social networking.

Beatles on iTunes.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Apple TV updates, but sadly my confidence is low on that one.

16. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Whatever it is you have to tell yourself to justify it so you can sleep at night, because apple even has an app for that.

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just a question... can you please link to the two computers (the $1600 Macbook Pro and the Windows gaming laptop that has nearly double the specs) so we can check out the spec's ourselves? I haven't seen a difference like that between computers in a very long time.

18. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link, it's much appreciated.

One thing the article doesn't make clear, however... it talks about two incidents - one an iPhone, the other an iPod Touch - in which the device blew up. It then goes on to mention the other story in which 15 iPods were found to have suffered similar fates.

15 iPods. not 15 iPhones or iPod Touches. Most of the reports are from before the iPhone was even released.

And according to Wikipedia, over 206 million iPods have been sold, as of April 2008. That's a 0.000009% chance of happening. I work in the medical device industry, and i can tell you that an acceptable failure rate for pacemakers, leads, and other implantable medical devices is higher than that.

So yes, i'll agree with you and the previous poster - it is a rediculously small number :)

19. radioprius1

radioprius1 Climate Conspirisist

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What hasn't been linked here is Apples investigation of those "exploding iphone" cases. They determined that the "exploding" screen breakage was due to an external force, not from an overheated battery. That is, the people dropped their $600 phone and wanted a free new one, so they claim their phone blew up and tried to get one with Apple footing the bill.

20. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two