1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is B Mode for?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by James Hz, Nov 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. James Hz

James Hz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So, I just became the second owner of a 2013 PIP. Since my previous vehicle was a 2003 GMC Sierra, I feel like I'm trying to figure out a space shuttle. :) I'll do my best to seek answers in previous threads, but please be patient if I ask what seem like stupid questions.

Here's the thing. I read in the manual about Engine Brake (B) mode, but I'm not quite sure exactly when a driver would use it. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

James

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Coming down super long downgrades, where there's a danger of fully charging the battery, long before the bottom of the hill.

Using B will delay the fully charged condition, and reduce the time the car has to rely on friction brakes only, possibly overheating.

Other'n that I would leave it in D, all the time, use the brakes as needed.

WilDavis and Hong Kong Prius like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would add we don't have a lot of metrics for the PiP which uses LiON batteries. Certainly the NiMH equipped Prius suffered from 'heat pumping' where descending would charge and heat the batteries. We just don't have similar data for the LiON.

Bob Wilson

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Completely missed that OP has a Plug-In. B mode application is somewhat different in that case?

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That happens when the thread is in the wrong forum. (Gen 3 vs Gen 1 Plug-In)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "B" mode use still applies even though it's a PIP.
    Because the Prius will "take off" down steep grades (very low drivetrain friction/loss) you can use "B" to help control the speed without excessive use of the brakes. Note that cruise probably won't work in "B" mode, though I forget the details (hardly ever use "B" as it's "wasteful").
    The "save energy" and "control battery temp" part is for us fanatics. In truth the car will take care of itself just fine. ;)

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It takes a very long hill to fill the PIP battery, 3000 foot vertical drop vs 600 ft in a Prius.

fuzzy1, Mendel Leisk and bwilson4web like this.
  8. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes️ I notice coming down a 4000ft grade at 3000 the battery is full at this point and down hill speed goes above 80mph I shift to B mode instead of using the breaks.

iPhone ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sprouts special grip tires for traction over any kind of terrain. At the same time, 5,000 horsepower is distributed evenly to all four wheels.

;)

10. James Hz

James Hz New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, everyone.

qdllc--Your answer made me laugh.

Prodigyplace--Sorry, I didn't realize this was the wrong forum. I thought any 2013 would be considered 3rd Gen. I'm still learning a lot about Prii.

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is only the wrong forum because we would give you the wrong answer. A 'normal Gen 3 fills the battery during a 600 foot vertical downhill. The Prius PHV takes over a 2000 vertical drop, so B is much less likely to be needed.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    During model years 2012-2015, the PiP group here actually was a subforum under Gen3. Only when the 2016s came out and the different models moved out generational sync did the PrisuChat architects move the PiP off separately, no longer a GenX subforum.

13. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have only used B-mode once in my PiP, and that was coming down from Yosemite after the battery fully recharged and the grade was still very steep.

If you know you will be descending a very long and steep grade, use your EV range up to deplete your battery before beginning the descent. This will give you the most regen capacity, save some brake wear, and improve your MPG.

I would say it usually takes 4,000 feet of elevation drop to charge an empty PiP battery. The last couple miles are slow to regen since charging tapers off near the end. You will notice the engine comes on periodically on extended downgrades for what appears to be no reason. Whenever the EV light turns off, you know the engine has turned on. B-mode always turns the engine on.

#13 Redpoint5, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …ah, the "B-mode" - I seldom use it, however I have been known to employ it to slow down without giving the game away to a persistent tail-gater (…i.e. slowing down without using the brakes (…and brake-lights! ;))), but treating the would-be butt-sniffer to a laundry-experience they so rightly deserve! (BACK-OFF, and please change yer underwear when you get home!!! (…pheeeewwwwww!!!)

15. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, congratulations on buying a decent car, and getting rid of the junk! :rolleyes: …and welcome to PriusChat! I've found one of the least mentioned, but most useful uses of the "B" mode is to give any would-be tailgater a well deserved LaundryExperience of the first order in the event of me not being able to see their front registration-plate in the rear-view mirror! (…think of it as the opposite of flicking on the marker lights to simulate brake-lights - think "Eiger Sanction (1975) (Clint Eastwood)" (…the chase scene in the desert?) It is also curious as to how often I'll attract a tailgater just before my windshields (both front & rear) need a good wash! :sneaky: :) ;)

#15 WilDavis, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  16. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really used B mode for the first time last weekend in NC. Coming down the mountain, I didn't want to put all the strain on the brakes, so I used B mode to scrub off a good bit of downhill roll in a couple of places.

Redpoint5 and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is no different than any traditional car. All of them can be downshifted. And nearly all of them have larger engines that enable slowing down more sharply than a Prius will.