1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is causing this terrifying noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SDSUsnowboards, Jan 20, 2022.

1. SDSUsnowboards

SDSUsnowboards Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I am intermittently hearing a high pitch screeching noise coming from the vicinity of the water pump.

I am in the process of flushing my coolant system with water. If I were to take a guess, I'd say there is air in the system causing the pump to run dry from time to time, resulting in a banshee wail.

Looking to get other opinions for the cause of this unholy utterance coming from my Prius.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That doesn't sound good.

How many miles on the odometer?

Why are you flushing the coolant system with water? Is it distilled water, or tap water?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. SDSUsnowboards

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    160k miles on odometer; engine has about 50k miles. I am flushing the coolant because the original engine suffered a head gasket failure resulting in suspected oil contamination of the coolant system and a bend rod. As a result, I have replaced the motor and have ran tap water and dish soap through the coolant system, and I am now running just tap water until I see no more suds.

Now I'm thinking it might be the bearings on the pump. The pump came with the used engine.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The detergent has probably cleaned the coolant system surfaces of any lubricating properties afforded by the OEM coolant, ethylene glycol is kinda slippery when wet.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not necessarily the bearing, but the water pump impeller shaft could be making noise against the bushing it passes through.

6. SDSUsnowboards

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hope so. In that case I will throw some coolant into there and see if it lubricates that space up and ceases the call of doom.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't forget that you can't get all of the water out of the coolant system, some will remain in the heater loop. That's why the coolant change interval is shorter after the initial coolant change.

IIRC, read somewhere that if flushed with water, if you know the amount of coolant initially drained from the system, you can try to get the undiluted SLLC antifreeze and add half of the drained volume to the system. Then top off with distilled water, that should get you close to the 50/50 mixture you want. You should use distilled water because you want to avoid having the minerals in tap water present in the cooling system.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there a way to get undiluted SLLC?

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure.

10. SDSUsnowboards

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I filled her up with coolant with the hope that it's the bushing issue, and I did not hear Satan's song of water pump death this time. I will optimistically consider this resolved, unless it isn't.

I appreciate your input xliderider!

Sonic_TH and xliderider like this.