1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is exactly A/C Load Ratio

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Henn Sarv, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Henn Sarv

Henn Sarv New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm collecting some info from my car and I like to know - what is EXACTLY the A/C Load Ratio and how calculated - do anyone knows

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the US owner's manual isn't helpful - it literally says "A/C Load Ratio: It's the A/C load ratio" :LOL:

What we can gather is that it's the amount of energy that the climate control is using as a percentage of your overall energy consumption.

So 24% would mean 24% of that day's energy consumption was put towards the climate control. You'll see the energy consumption (here it's listed either as kWh/100km or miles/kWh) and the A/C Load Ratio in the same screen. This includes both heating and cooling.

JimboPalmer and jerrymildred like this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to add to @Tideland Prius comment. A/C Load is only for HVAC utilizing the heat pump. Heated seat, heated sterling wheel, and rear defroster (which turns on heated side mirrors) do not get counted into this equation, even though they too use the traction battery power AFAIK. On the other hand, turning on windshield defroster will force the A/C to run at full blast, thus taxes the A/C load heavily.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What does "A/C Load Ratio" even mean? In everyday English, is it "the effect of air conditioning on miles per gallon"?

For another layer of complexity: the Toyota Owner's Manual seem to describe any-and-all usage of the cabin's ventilation system as A/C, not just usage where the freon variant compressor is mechanically/chemically cooling the air.

For what it's worth, I've found if I've rolled up to a red light with a partially warmed engine, I can get that engine to turn on or off, by either raising/lower the cabin temperature setting, or in some cases by shutting the system right off. That would have some impact on mpg I think.

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That brings a new question. I have not tried driving EV using just ventilation fun ON, but with A/C turned OFF. Would that be counted as A/C load? I don't know. I will give it a try tomorrow and report back here unless someone already knows the answer. I drove in 4WD SUV today. The road was still full of ice and snow this morning and I no longer have snow tires on my PRIME.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've done that quite a bit. I suspect that it does count, but so far in my case it hasn't been enough to earn a "1" in the percent column. ;)

Edit to add: At least I don't remember it being above 0. The old gray cells aren't what they used to be. I might be able to check it again coming to work tomorrow.

#6 jerrymildred, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    benagi and Salamander_King like this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That means fan motors use far less amount of electricity than the heat pump. I usually leave my A/C setting on AUTO for I usually have the 11.6 inch display turned off. I can control the A/C Auto temp from MID using just wheel buttons. During winter, my A/C load ratio is anywhere from 15%-30% with A/C (heat) on. That really eats up my EV range.

#7 Salamander_King, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It counts. Basically it’s the load of the climate control. On a mild day with A/C off and just the fan running in AUTO mode, Eco Heat/Cool and S-Flow active, I’ve seen it in the low single digits. Even having the A/C on doesn’t really affect it by much (probably cause it stays off anyway). It’ll show 0 if you turn off the climate control.

Yeah, the heater eats a lot even when it’s nust above freezing. I’m in the 20% range too with the heater.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did that frequently in my Gen II's. Can't stand to have an engine running when the vehicle isn't moving (*). So turn the climate control off while at a red light, back on when moving again. Car doesn't cool down noticeably.

* daughter has driven only Prii until her car got hit last summer and she needed a rental. She only drove it when I needed my car, otherwise she drove my '09. Engine running at red lights drove her nuts. Keys that must be stuck in slots and turned drove her nuts. Gated shifter going through reverse to get to drive drove her nuts. Having to shift to park before the car could be shut off drove her nuts. Smart girl ;)

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I kinda like gate shifter, keeps you more cognizant of what gear your in, reverse vs drive.

11. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Has anyone figured out a way to use AUTO without the car switching from recirculate to "fresh" air seemingly at random? In my PiP and my Prime I can't use AUTO because invariably it will just decide to switch to "fresh" air right at the worst time and suck a bunch of Diesel fumes from the highway into the car.

For cleaner air, set car vents to 'recirculate' study says - LA Times

#11 PiPLosAngeles, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  12. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I have no idea how to change that behavior. I have to admit that have not experimented much with HVAC on my PRIME. My goal was to use the 11.6 inch display as little as possible. I usually keep the display off and leaving the setting at AUTO. I use MID and wheel button to control the temperature, and voice control to turn it on and off. Now outside temp is getting warmer, I will likely to leave it OFF most of the time until it gets really cold.

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if this has changed for the Prime, but the way AUTO works in my Gen 3 is, if I push the AUTO button, that means "auto everything". After that, if I touch the fresh/recirc, or the fan speed, or the outlet setting, it continues to mean "auto everything except what you just touched". If I end up touching all three things, after that it's "auto nothing much at all". Until I press AUTO again.

15. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had to use the defrosters may times on my drive from Bangor home today. Tons of fog. Even though the climate control system was initially off, when I turned off the front defroster the system went to Auto. I find that unfortunate, it should go back to whatever it was when I pushed the front defrost button.

16. ReDave

ReDave Junior Member

Central California, Sierra/Sequoia Foothills
    Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You keep the display off... because? energy use? distraction? I just got a new prime, and it seems more work to adjust the temp via the steering wheel, or at least its much different from my older Priuses.

17. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, wheel switch is cumbersome not the best solution, but I hate touch screen operation so much so that I don't want it to stay on. It is a distraction while driving. I don't get tactile feedback from the screen touch. And the screen is at a location that requires to take my eyes off the road and my right hand off from the wheel, thus not safe. Less I have to use the screen the better my driving experience will be.

ReDave likes this.
  18. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The steering wheel climate controls on the Gen II were much more ergonomically friendly. One touch auto, temp up/down, recirculate, front and rear defrost all without moving your hands nor your eyes off the road.