1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is going on in the B mode ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ksor, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is EXACTLY going on when the Pruis is put into B mode ?

I noticed that WHEN the gas engine IS ON then it turns faster when the Prius is put into B mode.

But I can't hear anything when the gas engine is NOT on - what is THEN happening ?

The manual states that you shouldn't use the B mode for longer periodes - why not ?

Is the battery charged faster when in B mode ?

I have a Prius 2008.

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's using the ICE as a engine brake.......it will also charge the battery......down side is it won't go into EV when u stop moving so it will kill ur mpg.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    B is the logical equivalent of selecting first gear in a normal vehicle. As you noticed, this results in a lower gear ratio which causes the engine RPM to speed up, causing more drivetrain drag to slow the vehicle down.

The battery is not charged faster when in B mode because some of the regen energy is being put into revving the engine faster than otherwise required for a given vehicle velocity.

Unless you are descending a very steep hill for an extended distance and need to control your speed by shifting into B, there is no need to select that gear position.

You would not use B for an extended period, for the same reason that you would not drive a conventional vehicle in first gear for an extended period. That practice results in excessive fuel consumption and unnecessary drivetrain wear.

5. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that's wrong at the Prius - there is NO fuel consumed at all !

I think JimboParmer has a good explanation in his link - thx !

6. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    True but you are losing some regeneration, which would have increased your MPG. B Mode wastes more energy creating heat, regeneration wastes less creating electricity.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius will go into B mode automatically on a long hill as a protective measure, if the batteries are full green bars and starting to get hot from overcharge. I prefer to select it manually before this happens.

8. ksor

ksor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ??? you write ".. as a protective measure" - I think there is a warning NOT to go into B mode for "longer periodes" (=as long as it takes to go down the 'long hill' ;-))

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 'automatic' engine compression braking on long hills is not at all equivalent to manually selected B mode. It is much weaker. If I depended on it on some hills on my route, I'd be smoking the brakes and staring down those runaway truck ramps at speeds well above the speed limit.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    B mode is for going down long hills. The manual warns you not to leave it in B once you are down to the bottom. (In a Gen 2, you can't use Cruise Control in B mode)

Code:
    Shift position Function
    P Parking the vehicle/starting the hybrid system
    R Reversing
    N Neutral
    D Normal driving*
    B Applying moderate engine braking when driving
    down hills or on steep slopes

*: For good fuel economy and noise reduction, the D position should usually
    be used.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Suppose you are driving at the speed of 50 mph on level terrain, or driving uphill, while the gear selector is in B. Do you think that no fuel is consumed under those conditions?

If you are coasting down hill while in B, depending upon vehicle speed, it is possible that no fuel is being consumed, but some of the regen energy is being wasted by spinning the gasoline engine at a faster rate than necessary.

12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try and avoid it unless necessary. It will run ice and lower MPG and the Regeneration is not that good.

The advantage of the B Mode is if you are on a long downward drive i.e. coming down one of those huge Rocky Mountains it will keep the brakes from overheating.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the manual says that it's a poor translation. "B" will not damage anything. It *does* reduce fuel economy. The manual is trying to say, "use it only when needed", that is, when going down a long grade.