1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is killing all my Hybrid Batteries?! 3 batteries have failed.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sabrinaraccoon, Nov 11, 2015.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like things have changed somewhat since I started to first investigate and think about owning a hybrid.

There use to be quite a lot of support for buying a re-manufactured or refurbished battery. After years and several posts, it seems like the general consensus opinion has changed.

Too much trouble with refurbished batteries. Too many questionable entities refurbishing them to unknown standards.
    I'm sure their ARE reputable places doing a good job, but I've just read too many threads where people invest into a refurbished battery and then pretty quickly run into trouble or failure.

At this point, I would really hesitate to recommend to anyone that they do anything BUT buy a OEM "new" Battery.

With apologies to any entity or business doing a good job, or trying to do a good job. I'm sure they exist, but it still seems like too much of a risk to say to anyone....go with the refurbished.

In this case, it might be the 4th battery this Prius has had...BUT...
    With the history being:
    Original-failed due to age
    Replacement: Salvaged-really unknown history
    Replacement: Refurbished

Then it's not really too surprising.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought my 05 Prius, I had hopes that some entrepreneur would manufacture a new HV battery interchangeable with the OEM one. Looks like that's never going to happen which is too bad because it's very likely that many Prius' will endure well beyond 300K miles.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. Sabrinaraccoon

Sabrinaraccoon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I would give an update here.

My mechanic read the codes on my car and it came up with P0A80. This is the "Replace Hybrid Battery Pack" code. So, he installed another Dorman battery pack which was at no cost since I am under warranty. Since my mechanic is the best, he also did not charge me for any labor to replace the battery. So thankfully, the whole replacement cost $0.

I have only had the new battery in a day, but it appears to be going smooth so far. I have an apt to get the water pump and inverter pump replaced next month.

Hopefully I will not have to replace it again, and fingers crossed I wont be back here to complain about more battery troubles. Everyone send my traction battery good ju-ju!

Thanks for the input all.

5. Sabrinaraccoon

Sabrinaraccoon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe you are right about this. When I was first contemplating how to replace my batt #3, I was reading articles and posts from just a couple years ago that were very supportive of doing refurbished, used and replacing cells. However, now that I am on batt #4, it seems that the more research I do and the newer the posts are on here, the more OEM is preached.

I am an OEM battery believer after having what seems to be the most trusted refurbished battery die in one month.

True, I am trying to think of it this way as well, and hope that the 3rd battery (refurb) was just a total bunk from the get go and this 4th battery is the best refurbished battery ever. :D

The Electric Me likes this.
  6. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would opt for #1 - be done with it and drive and be happy!

DBCassidy

bisco likes this.
  7. Mountain Living

Mountain Living Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have a 2005 and the dealer quoted 3500.00$ for a new battery. We instead went with the 2200.00$ refurbished battery option at a private shop. Drove the car for 1 week, car died, all dash lights lit up, car will not start, 50$ tow, replaced refurbished battery under the 3 year warranty. Drove the car for 4 weeks, car died, all dash lights lit up, car will not start, 60$ tow to the Dealer because private shop said they did not know what to do. Dealer will test hybrid battery for 550.00$, to see what is wrong. Then the Dealer gets into car and says they can not test because it will void 3 year warranty from other shop. So we tow back to the private shop to replace the refurbished battery under the 3 year warranty.
    Could there be something else wrong with the car that is killing the hybrid battery? Any help is greatly appreciated.

8. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Your refurbished battery is likely to contain used modules from other battery packs, they will be of varying condition, even when the refurbished pack has been properly balanced after receiving the used modules there is no guarantee they will work for any length of time. Unless you get an entirely new battery with new modules you get what is happening to you.

Montgomery and johnnyb588 like this.
  9. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Like hchu said, refurbished packs have used modules that may or may not last a while. If you are so inclined, you can rebuild the battery yourself for much less than either of these options. You will have to tinker with it every now and then as you eliminate the bad modules, but you are already spending a bit of time on this issue as it is.

10. Mountain Living

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Dealer wants to charge 1000.00$ core charge because we no longer have a Toyota Hybrid battery to "turn" in to them and 3500.00$ for a new battery. We have no choice now other then to put in a 3rd refurbished battery because of our financial situation. this was my favorite cars of all time that now has truly soured my love for it. I just wish that the option for a refurbished battery did not exists. I just wanted to make sure there isn't something else that we can fix that could be going wrong with the car to help the refurbished hybrid battery last longer. Thank you for your response and yes we are getting what we are getting because of choices made. Just makes me sad.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The core is the same, it's a Toyota battery in there. The dealer should know this and is taking advantage of the situation.

Raytheeagle and fotomoto like this.
  12. Mountain Living

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We have watched several helpful YouTube videos that really do make it look doable. Unfortunately for me my extent of being handy with a car is changing the oil, replacing an air filter, wiper blades, changing a tire and assisting with replacing brake pads. These are easy things and I had someone years ago take the time with me to teach these things. This I need my husband on board for and the stress of this whole situation does not baud well for accomplishing that. Thank you for your response. Choices are usually really good to have in life I just wish our bank account at the time supported the choice for a brand new battery.

13. Mountain Living

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had thought the same thing and really was very reluctant in taking the car to this Dealer. There is a different dealer that is 45 mins. further that we originally went to but when we were sitting on the side of the road we went to the closer dealer in the moment. I couldn't imagine that the refurbished battery would be anything but just that a "refurbished Toyota battery" We are getting the car towed from that "very honest" dealer back to the private shop.

14. Mountain Living

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a way to by-pass the hybrid system and just run the gas engine? It would save me a tow to get the car from the dealer to private shop.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you have a 3 year warranty, take advantage of it. if they don't want to live up to it, demand your money back and go get a new toyota battery.

Montgomery likes this.
  16. Mountain Living

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there a way to by-pass the hybrid system and just run the gas engine?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, the battery starts the engine.

18. Mountain Living

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was wondering if a refund was a possibility. I will ask for sure and after putting in a 3rd battery they may be a bit more cooperative. I guess it really depends if they can get reimbursed from where they are getting the refurbished batteries from. Thanks for the suggestion.

bisco likes this.
  19. Mountain Living

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I thought the auxiliary battery started the engine but that makes since the car will not start at all. Bummer.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12v just boots up the computers, closes a relay and runs a few accessories.