1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is maximum EV range of Prius prime!

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Albuterol95, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Albuterol95

Albuterol95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All the YouTube videos I watch, everyone says the Prime has an EV range of 25 miles. According to my entune app, my Prime shows a range of 30 miles. What's happening here? Is the app wrong or battery bad? I've only had my Prime for 2 weeks. SmartSelect_20180706-044126_Toyota%20Entune.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    25 miles is the official EV range, from the EPA tests. In reality, in favorable conditions (not a lot of hill climbing, moderate temperature), it is more like 35 miles. What you see from the Entune application (and on the display in the car) is a value derived from your recent driving.

EazyPeazy and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's really unlimited. no one knows the maximum range.(y)

EazyPeazy likes this.
  4. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine displayed the best EV mileage for me this morning in the 6 months that I have owned the car. It read 39 miles. I feel a 40 coming. I love my Prime.

5. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The EV range will constantly change and update, as it's just an ESTIMATE using your previous range numbers. If you only drive fast on the freeway when using EV you'll see it decrease over time. If you mostly only put the EV on for city or stop-and-go driving, you'll likely see it increase over time. Personally mine changes between 33-34 usually (mix of city and freeway) but I keep my speeds down.

Technically, you could probably cause it to show "10" by using EV only when going up big hills... or to show "90+" if you only turn EV on when going down steep grades/hills... :) but of course if you only use it under certain extreme conditions why even use it?

If you do a mix of driving and speeds, you should see somewhere between 23-35 (again, some people have numbers outside of that range, but that range is pretty normal).

breakfast likes this.
  6. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My "estimated" was up to 38, so I decided to test it. I did everything in the most efficient way - pulse and glide - no air conditioning on - applied brakes thoughtfully - the "estimated" number totally matched my "actual" number until the last few miles, then it plummeted a bit. It went down to 34. Nothing changed in the way that I was driving. Very strange. I was totally hoping for 38, and really was bugged when it lost those miles.

7. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I understand it, "pulse and glide" is a technique that is only relevant in hybrids (or a plug-in hybrid being operated in HV mode). The idea is to "pulse" with the ICE on, operating it at a higher power output, so the ICE is operating more efficiently. And then glide with the ICE off in electric mode. In hybrid operation, all power ultimately comes from the ICE, and "pulse and glide" is a technique to make the ICE, when it runs, to run more efficiently. None of this relevant when in EV mode in a plug-in. "Pulsing" an electric motor doesn't accomplish anything since, if anything, they are somewhat less efficient at higher power output due to electric resistance losses. In EV mode, steady power is the most efficient.

#7 CharlesH, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  8. Bombtrack

Bombtrack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am currently maxed out at 42 miles on ev mode (and it's pretty close. More like 41 real miles as the with the last mile acceleration from rest drains the rest of the battery before I get up to speed)
    I achieved this by trying to stick to the suggested acceleration (blue bar) - I forgot what the name for the tab is but it's one of the top screen selections .

I usually get 85-99% rating between acceleration, maintain speed, and braking stats.

If I plan on accelerating hard or going on the highway I select hybrid mode so the ICE carries that task.
    Hard acceleration will drain the battery the fastest.
    Of course it doesn't matter if you drive less than your estimated range, but my round trip to work is 58 miles so saving the battery for non-highway use is the most efficient

EazyPeazy likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Blue bar = Eco Accelerator Guide

41 is amazing. That's practically what the (super lenient) Japanese JC08 test says a Prime can achieve.

10. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just broke 40 on the guess-o-meter for the first time last week. I knew it was coming sooner or later . Still loving my Prime.

Salamander_King likes this.
  11. ElectricSpike

ElectricSpike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am surprised by this! I appears as if the battery is charging when gliding, as the amount of miles I have "left" on the electric charge goes up. Can anyone explain this to me?

12. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    36.2 is the highest it has reported, but my actual range...I travel 15+- miles before the range starts to drop (downhill)

13. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s a guess o meter, the more efficiently you use power the more miles you can go.

So it has little to do with how much energy is in your electric “tank” and more to do with how efficiently it thinks you can use what’s left

ElectricSpike likes this.
  14. ziggy29

ziggy29 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The estimate is based on your driving history and energy consumption rate. When you are "gliding" you are using almost no power so the computer guesses your range is increasing. When you are braking, of course, it can also rise because you are actually recapturing some charge into the battery with the braking.

15. CharlesH

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the pulse-and-glide procedure, the idea is to press the throttle a little bit when in "glide" mode, so the hybrid indicator shows neither charging nor discharging. If you just let off the throttle completely, a certain amount of regenerative braking is engaged, simulating the engine drag of an internal combustion engine (ICE). This adds charge to the battery, but slows you down.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pulse and glide doesn't work with ev driving. the only things you can control are speed and acceleration.

17. bb4srv

bb4srv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    I was able to hit 27 miles (44kms), regular driving (non conservation), heater at 23C, up hills, down hills, city driving, 3/4 full gas tank, outside temp around 12C.

bisco likes this.
  18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nitpicking but does the x-axis actually mean average of daily temps or average of daily maximum temps (i.e. daytime high)?

20. bb4srv

bb4srv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    That chart seems a bit optimistic. It is based on the reported (aka estimated) mileage from the dash or actual?

The actual is rated at 25 miles bc the median of the chart appears to be at around 32. And I generally find the rates very accurate with maybe +/- 2-3 miles margin. I am unable to reach reported 32 miles in actual ev range