1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is my hybrid pack saying?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by IllyaPrius, Aug 7, 2022.

1. IllyaPrius

IllyaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I’ve made a post earlier abt my problem but now I’ve replaced 5 cells and tried my best balancing the battery. Really new to this electrical stuff. So far the car drives great and getting higher mpg is a lot easier. It doesn’t throw the “check hybrid system” code as often. Only once or twice since I’ve changed the cells. I used to get 30 mpg on average and 33 on a good day. Now I’m getting closer to 40 mpg both city and fwy. I should add I live in California and the temp here is roughly cruising around 90-105° most days it’s around the 100’s though. Anyways the reason for the high temp on the battery (not that it’s not normal, but rather all of them are over 100°) is because I put the temp sensors closer towards the middle of the battery pack so the fan turns on quicker. Essesntly im trying to figure out if the pack is doing a lot better with these stats or whats an issue you guy can spot? Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. IllyaPrius

IllyaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The one with the yellow bars is while I was driving with a/c on, the other two pictures where when I was just in idle with a/c on.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should go and check what codes are stored when the hybrid warning comes on. The car could be experiencing other problems.

The band aid repair is just that, since it's working now, just drive it until you need to do it again. BTW, how did you balance it?

4. IllyaPrius

IllyaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I put the best cells in the middle and then the bad ones one the side where apparently the battery is cooler so they work better. I made the mistake of not buying more. I did this using a multi meter. Not the most accurate way to do it but was the best way for $30. It should do me right especially since the colder seasons are on the horizon. I did unfortunately have 5 bad cells left over that’s why you see #14 clapped out of its mind. I think it’ll hold up. The reason I went ahead to refresh the battery is because I was getting a PA080 code or whatever saying check hybrid system. It would never throw this code in the colder seasons. Anything 85°F and lower it would operate flawlessly given there is no direct sunlight heating the car up. With it being outside above 90°F it kills the battery which is no big deal… I get 30 mpg on just engine but if I have a hybrid car that gets more then that I’ll try my best to do make it get more

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Multimeter tells you very little information on a hybrid battery pack. It'll give you a voltage reading, doesn't really tell you anymore info.

Well like I said, the band aid repair seems to be working, you'll just have to address the issue when it fails again (which I don't think will be that long).

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your hybrid battery is screaming, turn the AC on full blast and fan speed to 6!!! Tripl digit temp reading is not good, bulging batteries is what you got now.

7. IllyaPrius

IllyaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Like I said it’s very hot here in California.. not much I can do lol. The fan is screaming.

bisco likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live there also, park in the sun no shade but my fan is set to 6 and ac is on full blast and hv temp will go down to 98F. Your hv batteries must be bulging now at those constant temp!