1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is Techstream?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rebound, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen a few members mention TechStream. I found it on Toyota's website, and it seems to be a cable and software. There are some of these on eBay for $20.

Should I get the one from eBay? What can I do with it?

2. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, get one off ebay.

It is the software that is used to communicate with the operations of your Prius.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Techstream is Toyota's diagnostic system. The MiniVCI sold on eBay is a chinese clone of the cable and a pirated copy of the sofgtware that usually will only install easily in an old version of Windows (32-bit XT), but if you are computer literate, it can be installed manually in a later version. I have it installed in my 64-bit Windows 10 machine (via instructions found on the web).

JeffD

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How much does Toyota charge if I don't want to give Chinese hackers my money?

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Several thousand $. Their smaller version is a steal at just over $1000.

JeffD

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good grief. It appears that my moral compass has suddenly swung 180 degrees.

#6 Rebound, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jeff- are you able to share how you get Techstream working on Windows 10 please? I can't find any specific instructions for running it on 10 on the internet..

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    OK, Here is the full story on my 64 - bit Windows 10 TIS installation. I used the instructions from:

(Solution) Mini VCI + Toyota TIS Techstream 8.x on Windows 7/8 64-bit. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Which can be found by searching for "VCI Techstream windows 64-bit" in Google.

To install my MiniVCI manually on my MS Surface Pro 2 when it had Windows 8 (64-bit Pro) and it took a couple of tries to get it working. I believe that I had to figure out where Windows 8 wanted the driver files, but that was a while ago. It worked without problems and continues to work after an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Just to make sure, I just ran a quick HV battery check (see attached txt file). I hope that this helps.

JeffD

Attached Files:

#8 jdenenberg, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    James Analytic, Moonlite and Justin C like this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is now a 64-bit version on EBay for about $40..I ordered that should be here in a few days
    Also Amazon carries the older versions 32-bit so that seems to suggest its "legal"?

Michael Wood likes this.
  10. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok thanks guys. I saw the link for the 64 bit version on the other thread but saw that it said in the ad it will work on windows 7 or 8 and no mention of 10 which I didn't really get if the only reason it doesn't work on newer operating systems is that win 10 is 64 bit. Anyway the same seller is advertising the same product on ebay uk, and it specifically says it will work on windows 10 on the UK ad so I've ordered it (£30, which is reasonable seeing as in the UK, dealers charge £39 just for a hybrid battery health check).

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I received my Techstream cable and software from eBay: $18.
    I bought a used Thinkpad with Windows 7 32-bit from a guy on Craigslist: $100.

It took a little fidgeting to get the computer to load the driver for the cable, but it did, and now I have a full Techstream. And I don't have to worry about getting my MacBook Pro covered in grease.

This is a fantastic automotive tool to have in my garage.

12. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well my mini vci and techstream turned up today. Basically the 64bit version seems to just have the guide that jeffd posted on the disc. It won't just load straight up and it just tells you to follow the same steps with a couple of shortcuts eg. A ref edit file to edit automatically.

The issue I have is windows 10 automatically updates driver software and there's no way I can find to switch this off. So plug in the mini vci and it wont let you manually install the right drivers off the disc which is so annoying, and starts installing and changing things before I get a chance to follow the instructions. I cannot find any workaround at the moment but I'm not overly IT savvy. So it makes sense that installing it under win 8 and then upgrading it to 10 isn't a problem but installing it straight to win 10 appears to be an issue.

Anyone any ideas what i need to do?

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's stupid if the 64-bit is just $20 extra just to get some hacks on a disk...I assumed the chip was different. Not sure we got at same place. Have not got mine from China yet.

14. drives

drives Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah it is a bit of a piss take really as the description makes it sound as though its a different version of the program. It'll be the same seller I think. I've emailed them so will wait and see what they say

15. Justin C

Justin C Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used this same guide as well successfully on a 64-bit Windows 10 virtual machine (running on my Mac) with a cable purchased on Amazon (search for "Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software Model: ZB031 Car/Vehicle Accessories/Parts")

16. Anupam

Anupam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello JeffD,
    I needed instruction from someone who installed Techstream on windows 10 n64-bit. I am unable to do it and till now am struggling on it. Can you provide help for this issue.

Thanks for the support

17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    As I noted in a follow-up me
    As I noted on a follow-up message on this thread, I actually installed my MiniVCI on Windows 8 64-bit Pro and then upgraded the machine to Windows 19 64-bit Pro later. That message also included a link to the instructions that I used and then another PChater replied that He had used the same instructions to install a MiniVCI directly on Windows 10 using the same instructions. There is also a version of the MiniVCI that claims to be installable on 64-bit machines, but it most likely just includes the same instructions from the web.

(Solution) Mini VCI + Toyota TIS Techstream 8.x on Windows 7/8 64-bit. - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

JeffD

#17 jdenenberg, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  18. Anupam

Anupam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for send the link again, but my windows cannot detect the OBD cable. I got this message:
    upload_2016-3-2_19-7-36.png

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You have to follow the instructions precisely. It took me several tries. The driver software files have to be in a particular directory or Techstream will not find it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for Toyota TIS

JeffD

20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought a used Win 7, 32-bit laptop, and it still took me three tries until Windows loaded a driver for the cable. It did find the cable right away, though.

What I finally did was visit a website for the device maker and I downloaded and installed their driver. The laptop's only used for Techstream, and for looking up DTC's, if needed.