1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the attraction of satellite radio?????

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by c4, Dec 19, 2005.

1. c4

c4 Active Member

I don't get it... Why is this such a big thing?? The audio quality isn't that great, as one person put it- at times, it sounds like low bitrate MP3.. Plus it's yet another subscription service that you have to pay for.. Sure there's no commercials and there are half-a-billion channels, but why?????

I can put several thousand MP3 songs on a single CD or download them to an iPod or other player and have hours upon hours of customized music basically for free, so why the heck do I want to pay for a bunch of channels I'm not going to listen to anyways?? The only feature that I see as being useful are the traffic reports available on XM that can be linked to certain models of GPS navigation, but for me, my hours are so irregular that I seldom run into traffic jams, so I'd prefer a pay-per-use service like that available with some cellular service providers vs. a subscription-based service like XM..

The same thing goes for TV.. A thousand channels and nothing to watch.. This is the common theme whenever I go over to my friend's house- he has the latest satellite and digital HD cable connections, but usually, there's nothing we want to watch or if there is anything, it's all pay per view.. Maybe I'm old fashioned- but I've still got rabbit ears at home and I get all the TV I want, and honestly, when I get a good signal, my old analog TV looks far superior to all this digital crap.. No jaggies, no artifacts.. Sure, HD has more theoretical resolution, but sitting 10-15 feet away from a typical 27-32" TV, when you have a good analog signal, you can't tell the difference; on the other hand, a big TV makes digital artifacts worse..

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It depends on what you want to listen to. I listen to movie soundtracks. I do not want to download them or convert them to an MP3. Sometimes I listen to New Age. I do not want to download them or convert them to an MP3. Sometimes I listen to comedy or old radio programs. I do not want to download them or convert them to an MP3. The decision comes as I am driving, not at home. I have no need for an iPod as I can't think of even 100 songs I would want to store, but that's just me. I have a total of 51 phone numbers on my cell phone (some I can remove without problems), so a 500 number phone book is unnecessary for me as well.

Fortunately satellite radio isn't an option that you have merely because it came bundled with a package. You can opt out not to have it.

3. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No commercials is a big one.
    For those who travel, not having to switch stations when you lose one.
    Being able to listen to jazz (or other non-top-40 or country genre) other than at an early morning timeslot on an obscure underpowered station.

The problem with a MP3 player is that it'll be the same songs until you go buy new ones, while on satellite the playlist changes. (assuming, anyway, you aren't listening to one of the decades channels. I have no idea if the decades rotate playlists or just use one big one.)

Some people like having a DJ.

The compression isn't all that noticable to me on most channels. (The talk ones on Sirius used to sound like a noisy phone line, but they've improved.)

After having Sirius, there's no way I'm going back to terrestrial radio.

4. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have it for:
    Music
    Fox News Network
    The Weather Chan.
    I like the Old Time Radio.

When Something has hit the fan you have three news networks to pick from.

that is why I have it.. just wish it would display more than 10 chars on the screen

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing, including things about TV channels and digital crap. I see all those new TVs and majority are crap. The pixels ares so visible that it's aweful to watch. I don't have a problem with my projector though. I always wondered about plasma TVs they are just crap and cost big $$$.
    I get calls from my local cable provider and they offer me hundreds of TV channels and tell me how good of a deal it is. And I always ask them if I could I have just ONE channel, just one good one. They get confused. It's all about quantity andnot the quality!

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This sorta reminds me of an old Mad Magazine cartoon where one guy saw someone listening to a radio. He said, "How can you listen to that radio? I have a cassette player (I told you it was old) and I can listen to what music I want, when I want. No annoying DJs." The other guy replied, "Can you listen to what I'm listening to now? Today's baseball game?" :)

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My husband has XM in his Accord and we LOVE it. I can't wait to get it integrated into my Prius after I take ownership.

I love getting the traffic/weather reports, being able to listen to NHL games from other towns, being able to listen to all 1940's music for hours at a time, or relive high school memories with the 90's station. He likes listening to Playboy Radio and some of the punk rock channels. The comedy stations are fun to listen to on roadtrips too. And you never have to worry about the 'station' tuning out and going to static as you leave a major metropolitan area (and we do roadtrips quite often so that's a big plus for us).

It's all a matter of taste and likes/dislikes. I don't 'do' I-pods, mp3 players, or cd-burning, so it works perfectly for me.

I have Tivo for the television-don't watch or need all the channels, so I pick out which shows I want to watch and watch them when I want to, no messing w/commercials or having to be there at 8pm in order to catch the 8pm show.

8. jchu

jchu New Member

Not to belabor the point but traveling between Idaho, Oregon and Washington; there are a lot of dead spots. Especially if one is looking for NPR, CBC, BBC type news radio. Because of my preferences, I will be going with Sirius rather than XM. Just wish Bob Edwards had signed with Sirius instead of XM.

As far as Howard Stern goes. I grew up in New York City suburbs and remember him from when he was just a pup... And he holds no appeal; not funny just crude. One can be crude and funny, but he seems to only manage crude (of course IMHO)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what HD TV's you've watched but I'll tell you that there is simply no comparison b/w analog TV and high definition. Contrast is 200% better, color range is much deeper, detail is phenomenally better. I was skeptical about how much difference it would make, but when you watch HDTV on a good quality LCD or plasma screen it's simply phenomenal.

Regarding the satellite radio. It certainly isn't for everyone. If you have a fixed selection of music you like to listen to and never wander far from news and sports stations you like and don't need a lot of variety then you probably don't need to waste money on satellite radio.

Some of us really like the variety. I live in SW Missouri. We have 3 or 4 decent rock stations but they're all owned by Clear Channel and play the same mix cycle, have lots of commercials, and there's really not stuff that's 'edgy' or different. You can get NPR, but often it's playing classical music so it isn't reliable for news depending on when you're driving. There aren't, to my knowledge, any 24 hour news or sports stations in the area and certainly nothing for the kids.

With XM it's more like having cable TV in my car. As suits my mood so do my XM selections. Working all day on a Sunday and missed all the football games I'll hit ESPNnews or ESPNradio or Sportingnews or whatever to catch up on the highlights and scores on my way home. Then I feel like I've gotten that little 'itch' scratched and can better focus my time on my family once I get home.

Sleeping all day during a set of night shifts maybe I'll tune in CNN to catch up on the days news and breaking stories. In a mood for Blues...there it is, in a mood for comedy and I've got 3 choices, wanna do a little Prog rock as the mood hits and it's there--a ton of stuff they'd never play on any of my local channels in the Ozarks and nothing I'd even know to seek out b/c I wasn't familiar.

Got the kids in the car being rambunctious? I tune in to XMkids or DisneyRadio--they love it, they love the DJs and know many of the latest songs...it keeps them entertained...and truth be told I think some of it is fun too.

Wife's with me on a long trip and we hit the MIX--pop stuff we can both tolerate and we don't have to worry about getting into the back-woods areas where there are only 2 kinds of music on regular radio--Country and Western. (still love that old line)

Chistmas season brings 4 or 5 different Christmas music channels including my favorite special X-mas--all the Grandma got run over by a reindeer and other off the wall non-traditional songs.

Sports, catch one of any of dozens of games. Life concerts online, live interviews, the list goes on.

Regarding sound quality. I turn 39 tomorrow so maybe my old ears can't hear the nuances they used to, but the music channels sound fine to me and the talk channels sound ok too. I know there's a higher 'bit rate or whatever' to the music channels so they sound better and they cram more stuff into the talk/news streams since audio quality isn't as critical. And dang it, the road and wind noise are going to screw up even the best audio anyway so who cares of it's concert hall quality sound?

Still not convinced? Ok, don't get it. But I think there are a lot of people who find a number of those items desireable and well suited to their needs and desires and lifestyles.

For me it really suits my preferences and lifestyle and I rarely if ever even have a desire to listen to regular radio.

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Back in October, I took my 86-year-old father on a trip (4.5 hours each way). He was very entertained by going to the old time radio channel, and I didn't have to worry about losing the signal.

11. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We purchased the MyFi XM hand held receiver. It came with all the attachments for home, car and even using it for walking around the neighborhood. That way we only needed one subscription and it is so easy to take from the house to the car.

When on vacation, the AM and FM bands have become a wasteland, in my opinion. Having a satellite delivered, multi-channel system allows one to enjoy the same programming no matter where you are. That alone is awesome. You simply have to experience it to appreciate it.

We didn't "get it" either about an MP3 player until one day my wife blurted out "hon, we could put our entire CD library in one of those". Think about that. We have hundreds of CD's around here and they didn't get much use. But after getting the latest iPod we are using it all the time. So, for us, it allowed us to utilize what we already owned in the way of music.

I also have to agree with Evan. We just upgraded our TV to a Sony high definition SXRD 50 inch and you simply can not compare anything analog to it. If you are a football fan you have a better seat than if you were actually there. And many times much warmer too. (hehe) We use a High Definition TiVo and it has made a huge difference in our enjoyment of watching television. We are now in control of when we watch, what we watch and we can even skip the commercials. What more would you want? We have a motto we use alot. Ease of use promotes use. TiVo certainly is easy to use. Hence we enjoy watching our new TV too. Ask us how often we go to the movie theater anymore. Not much.

If you go looking around and view high def tv's make sure they are actually showing high definition. Many of the box pushers dont.

End of 2 cents on subject.

12. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Evan said it all. Get it and try it - you won't ever turn back.