1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the average mpg of Prius in SFO?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusLoverTexas, Dec 28, 2013.

1. JE Sukara

JE Sukara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live in SF and the hills kill the mpg. My commute (out of town) gets me 50 to 55 mpg on the way there and 55 to 66 mpg on the way home (slight incline to work). When I drive in town, I get somewhere around 35 mpg. Because I have to drive through town a bit (get kid from school, etc.), my overall "consumption" on the display (combining my commute to and from work plus random around-town jaunts) is usually around 43-44 mpg; above 45 on that display feels huge.

nodrogkam likes this.
  2. nodrogkam

nodrogkam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm with you JE Sukara.

2.5 months in with roughly 2,000 miles, my lifetime average is 45.1mpg.
    And like you, the only reason it's that high is due to highway trips outside of the city; slow traffic on the highway actually lets me get 60+ mpg just going with the flow.

I hope they do wonders for the next generation of Prius.

3. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I find the hills in SF are too steep to help MPG as well.. then you add the traffic lights.. not good.

Comparatively, I find I get better MPG on the freeways around SF. Fulley data show my miles outside of SF. I am certain it would be worse in SF.. but at the same time, depends on the area as the terrain changes substantially.