1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the B on the shift column ?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by formula, Mar 10, 2012.

1. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    http://i.imgur.com/pg5P2.jpg

all the way on the bottom. What that for on a hybrid?

thanks

also, is it worth to pay $1800 more for heat seat, softex and 16inch rim?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Engine braking. Use it for descending long and steep roads, like those you find in the mountains.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ok. thanks.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A normal Automatic is PRNDL, some one at Toyota was too honest to call theirs L because there are no Lower gears, just engine braking, so they called it B.

If you went down a long steep hill in a Prius, the HV Battery would fill part way down and you would have no regenerative brakes, just friction brakes. Toyota added engine braking (wasting energy by using the engine as an air pump, the harder you hit the brakes the faster and louder the engine gets) so the disc brakes do not over heat and boil the brake fluid. (that would be BAD)

The B mode allows you to plan ahead and start engine braking even before you run out of regenerative braking, so your friction brakes stay cool.

My 'favorite' down hill: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/docs/EmigrantHill.pdf?ga=t

You may use B anytime, but above about 20 MPH you are just wasting energy and lowering gas mileage. Cruise Control does not work in B

2 people like this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just stressing to the OP that if you do go down a long/steep hill in B mode (or even in Drive) the engine will start to rev and sometimes rev loudly. It is normal and not a fault. Also, when you reach the bottom of the hill and stop at a traffic light, the engine might carry on revving away for a short time. This is also normal.

Your HV battery may be virtually full at the bottom of the hill and the car will do weird stuff like accelerate quickly and reach higher speeds than normal in electric only (not EV mode), but will quickly return to normal when the HV battery starts to lose charge.

My rule of thumb is that everything the car does is normal unless it flashes a warning or illuminates a warning light. But feel free to ask away with any questions or queries you have - that's what the forum's for. :)

2 people like this.
  6. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    oic. very helpful information. :) thank you so much.

I've never driven a hybrid before , so want to understand it a little more before I pick up my C on Mon. thanks

7. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Normally, the Prius does Not engage engine braking. It uses regen and friction brakes only. When you shift into "B," you are telling the car to engage engine braking in addition to regen.

8. WX4GPS

WX4GPS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    so when I hit these decants if I can keep the car in regen without maxing it out to where frictions brakes are kicking in, then I don't need the B, but if I'm still accelerating and masking out the regen, then shift to B?

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes. It comes down to anticipation. If you are reasonably sure that you can descend the hill without filling the HV battery to the high limit, then stay in D. If, on the other hand, you know that your battery will hit the limit before the bottom of the hill, shift to B. This will bleed-off excess energy and forestall the need for friction braking.

Tom

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    FWIW, I think it was close to a year back when I last put our Prius in B. Save it for really long and protracted downhills.