1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the "B"?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RLE88, Mar 5, 2012.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My reference point is US95, descending into Lewiston Idaho. Top to bottom it is 1975 feet in 7 miles. The steep core is labeled 7% grade, though from toporoute I can justify only 6.8%.

For this descent, assuming a reasonable load, I'm figuring about 28kw at 60 mph, though this includes air drag of the hull.

2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know about toporoute. VERY cool! Here is an elevation profile of my route:

[​IMG]

I didn't remember the two areas of rise on the way down LOL
    As you can see though, the steepest grade for over 0.5 of a mile exceeds 10% if I am eyeballing accurately. Too bad the graph does not have more distance resolution.

Attached Files:

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Even though "B" doesn't give enough drag to match the friction brakes (thankfully), it DOES allow you to slow using friction brakes, then coast to allow them to cool.

Do note the Prius NEEDS "B". It's a very slippery car with almost no mechanical drag without it. It takes off down hills!!

Try highway 99 in B.C., heading west (south), from just past Duffey Lake to the IR at Lillooet river. Some places it's 18% grade. Luckily, you don't go too fast on this road. Best part is the 10 km/hr corners and Bailey bridges further east (one lane). Oh, and the switchback at one of the 18% grade parts, where the posted warning is 10 km/hr. Bottomed out the forks on my RZ350 motorcycle slowing for that one!

Had bugs in my teeth after taking the MC on that road. ;) (how do you tell if a motorcyclist is happy - he/she has bugs in his/her teeth!)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's bumper to bumper, sure but make sure the engine never comes on, otherwise it won't shut down in "B" until you switch to "D".