1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the Best method for getting unstuck in Snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ToeJamFootball, Feb 15, 2014.

1. ToeJamFootball

ToeJamFootball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have had a lot of snowstorms in New England this year and I am pleased with the performance of my Prius. I have the standard tires on it and it handles pretty well in the snow as long as the roads are plowed. The traction control and the ABS braking help prevent skidding.

However, when the snow is deep, that can be a problem. I came home at the end of the day after a big snowstorm. The roads had been plowed and were passable. I came to the end of my driveway and the snow plow had thrown up a wall of heavy, wet snow along the road. I though if I could just make through that, I could get into the driveway and the garage.

Well, I got stuck hanging halfway into the road, halfway into the driveway. The tires were not getting traction. I tried to rock the car back and forth (going in reverse, then forward, then reverse etc.) like I would with a non hybrid car and found it does not work with a Prius. The tires stop spinning when they loose traction. We eventually dug the car out and pushed with several people.

What is the best method for getting a Prius unstuck in snow?

2. harper42

harper42 Member

3. harper42

harper42 Member

I had just read this hint and had the opportunity to try it yesterday. Snow had recovered my plowed driveway. I overshot to one side and found the car hung up. Tires spun uselessly. Method: Remove excess snow from car frame under doors and behind front tires. Take out your floormats, turn them upside down behind front tires, back up onto and over them back into your original driving path. Yes, I need to clean my mats a little now, but when in that desperate "stuck mode," one doesn't worry about such trivial things.

4. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I carry a set of front door mats with me for just such an occasion. Had to use them once this year. The good thing is, I also carry a couple of plastic trash bags with me, so the car doesn't even get wet or dirty from the mats.

5. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds rough :( I live in l.a... 83° today, tires are just fine ;)
    You should ask your boss for a transfer. .lol

6. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good idea.

Hey honey can we transfer to So. Cal. She said no, guess I am stuck :(

DadofHedgehog and retired4999 like this.
  7. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even a nonhybrid, such as an AWD Subaru or a 4WD F250, will get stuck when it gets high centered on a platform of compacted snow. Been there, witnessed or done that numerous times over my life. The easiest solution was to get something else, either a fully chained up (all four wheels) F250 or a crawler tractor (conveniently stored nearby) to drag the vehicle out.

When not near dad's tractor shed, I've had to dig out most of the compacted snow that the car is resting upon, before the car could move under its own power. Older cars had a fairly coarse undercarriage structure that would dig into the compacted snow, creating huge drag forces that even good tire traction could not overcome.

I don't yet have firsthand experience with a stuck Prius, so can't give any Prius-specific advice. I'd hope the aero panels and underside streamlining may reduce its tendency to bite into the snow below when high centered, but haven't seen anyone else comment on it.

9. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I carry a small shovel in the back. Haven't had to use it once, but it's good to have just in case you get stuck.

retired4999 likes this.
  10. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Rocking the car has been working excellently for me; I think you just found the limits of traction of the stock tires which are not really equipped for snow. With my Michelin x-ice tires I've actually become begrudgingly appreciative of the Prius's snow ability. There are certainly cases where it just cuts power entirely which can be disconcerting, but I usually find some pedal modulation and or rocking gets me out of anything, even when the car is dragging in deep snow.

11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! Nice job!
    Anyone concerned about snow should get good snow tires!!! The Prius with good snow tires does really well for a low clearance car! :)

Sporin likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Driving in sub-zero temps, with snow so deep the car's getting hung up on it's underbelly, on the oem all-seasons?

Maybe time to consider snows? ;)

And even then, just stay off the roads for that first day or two after a big blow, 'till the plows go through.

The dealership can sell you Corolla steel rims for about $70 each (and plain lug nuts), they work on the Prius. And while there's that initial $ outlay, there are advantages: your oem's will last a lot longer.

Tony D likes this.
  13. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Snow tires won't help you at all when you get stuck on a mound of snow plowed in front of your driveway. The only thing to do in this case is get out of the car and move some of the snow so that there's not such a big bump in your way. Once you're stuck like that, you have to resort to digging out the snow underneath the car's frame to free it, generally. The problem isn't a lack of traction, it's a lack of weight on the wheels.

So in this case, the best method for getting unstuck is to not get stuck in the first place. :p Use your brain when driving, and don't drive where you're not sure you can make it through - whether that's a big mound of snow, or water of unknown depth on the road.

fuzzy1 and retired4999 like this.
  14. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep! Best info today!!!:D

15. priusdonkey

priusdonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Move to Los Angeles, i think it was sunny and 80 degrees today.
    2. Kitty Litter i believe will help with your traction and get you unstuck.
    3. tow rope to fish you out
    4. Don't drive in the snow or stick on chains if you do.
    5. snowmobile

16. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We had a couple of good snows in the PNW this year. I was able to initiate the rocking a few inches at a time until the traction control took over. I continued working on this about ten times, each time extending the track a little more until I was free. Skiers and others have been know to temporarily disabled the traction control to get unstuck but I didn't need too.

The main problem I had was the low ground clearance and high centering my Pri. Mind you this was with about 7 inches of snow. I would drive in the tracks of other cars and could hear the snow being plowed all along my under body pan which was disquieting.

My Pri did remarkable job overall. When the snow partially melted and ice formed I couldn't have asked for more. I have Michelin IceX tires but I honestly don't think I needed them that much.

17. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard of floor mats, but door mats?! You must really keep your car clean!:LOL:

18. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Never mind. Typo error.

orenji likes this.
  19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The undeniable truth is, the Prius traction control sucks. It cuts power to the wheels completely = moving nowhere, no ability to rock a car or even get the car unstuck. Yes, the reason the TC is this way is to protect the MG's... got it. But its also counter productive when driving in inclement road conditions.

Disclaimer: I have one season old Michelin X-Ice tires.

In my gen2, I turn the traction control off (put the Prius in inspection mode). Seriously - with the TC disabled, the Prius is a total snow monster...it will eat any road condition and spit it out. The difference, in snow, between TC on and TC disabled is night and day.
    One must be careful as to not spin the tires excessively to prevent overspinning MG2 when disabling the TC. To learn how to do this, search youtube. And of course, its at your own risk. But so is blocking your grill, using different grades of oil, etc.....

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lets face it, one car can't do everything, so for the winter months drive a vehicle made for snow. A Prius can't be expected to drive in snow like a 4WD.