1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the Best method for getting unstuck in Snow?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ToeJamFootball, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Regardless of the complexity, it's stressed that it's not for regular use, as mentioned many times above.

2. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you Mendel.

I don't know how others feel but I wouldn't want to drive my car without ABS and ESC. I can see how traction control may not help in all situations (like snow)

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

And definitely at ones own risk!

4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have driven many 2 wheel drive cars without traction control in my life. This includes a really awful rear wheel drive 73 Plymouth Fury. The Prius with Traction Control on is hands down the worst vehicle for even a little snow. I live in Philly, which only gets a few snows a year. I can't justify owning another a second vehicle for the few 2-3 inch snowstorms we get each winter. I can't justify snow tires either (they make too much noise).

The other day, my Pruis v got completely stuck in my almost flat driveway in a few inches of wet snow. The TC is so aggressive at preventing slips, I could not move the car forward in a trivial amount of snow. PriusGuy32 was correct

Perhaps Toyota should implement a "limited slip" mode. That way, the "MG2" could be protected, yet it would be able to handle a reasonable snow.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What tires have you got, and how much tread depth?

fuzzy1 likes this.
  6. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's all about the tires, believe me.
    An extra set of tires and wheels are a lot cheaper than an extra car and then just turn up the radio if the noise bothers you...
    I did discover that instead of holding the gas down until the TC stops turning the wheels, I just tap the gas pedal lightly about twice a second. This keeps the wheels turning before the TC can stop it. and since the taps are light, I don't overspeed the motor.

2-3" of snow? Pfff...
    Had a little problem with the snow today | PriusChat

Sporin and fuzzy1 like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you didn't have enough snow. Plenty of folks have done better with more snow than that. :)

But then, I can't take such problem statements seriously without some indication of what tires were on the vehicle, and in what condition. My OEM tires that did so well their first winter, were just appalling just before I retired them. Same tires, but vastly different results at opposite ends of their lifespan.

8. SacMcNasty

SacMcNasty New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't drive a Prius in heavy or deep snow?! On a serious note while I have driven in snow...going carefully is better than bum rushing the distance. At least in my experience.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    the TC isn't that bad, you just have to learn to be gentle with the throttle. If you're shooting for a gap in traffic and your front wheels are sitting on the snow, planting your foot down isn't going to get you anywhere. You have to be gentle, use only about 10% throttle, and patience. As for getting stuck, don't get stuck in the first place. Keep your momentum up and don't ram the car into something you won't get out of.

10. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I posted a similar post about my Plug-in with chains not getting up a wet steep hill. I think we have to realize that the Prius series is best suited for city driving. I want an all wheel drive SUV Plug-in Prius and I want it now. What is talking so long? The technology is there.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The products are already here: Volvo XC90 AWD PHEV. And Porsche Cayenne S e-Hybrid.

Though their MPGs fall a bit short of Prius-like expectations.

12. JStrenk

JStrenk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MONEY!

Toyota determined the majority of Priusi are sold in the sunshine states and not economical to export the AWD Prius to North America.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20151214/OEM04/312149993/why-the-new-awd-toyota-prius-isnt-coming-stateside-just-yet

[​IMG]

I'd sell my jeep to get one.

Well maybe not, I haven't seen any plow kits for a Prius yet.....

13. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't read through all of the posts on this subject but common sense is the best way to avoid getting stuck in the first place. Here in SoCal when heavy rains cause flash flooding, people still take chances going through torrents and getting swept away. No matter how many warnings are issued, there is going to be the ignorant soul that try's anyway. As for snow, it's not too much different. You have to be aware of your cars capabilities and don't overstep the boundaries. Heed the warnings and don't drive if the weather poses a threat to your safety.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  15. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best thing is never get stuck. Lol

the bat cave

Prodigyplace likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Easy to say, but there's lots of scenarios that can catch you: turning into an unplowed side street, or pulling into an unplowed parking spot, a couple of examples.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far in my life (carefully knocks wood) I've avoided getting any vehicle into snow I couldn't (eventually) get it out of. Gentle back-and-forth rocking, without ever breaking traction except inadvertenty or clumsily, has always been my approach.

I did neatly parallel park my old Bronco II (4WD) on the side of a street once that I spent about 20 minutes rocking out of when it was time to leave. You could strongly smell clutch fumes by the time I was out.

I slipped right off the side of my mom's driveway once in my old Gen 1 (Gen 1 had the faux-traction-control that only reduces power, and doesn't brake spinning wheels as Gen 2 and later do) and spent more like an hour getting back under way, but at least, in contrast to that Bronco II unparking, there was no clutch heating up, in fact nothing mechanically stressed at all, only my patience.

That was one of the two times my Gen 1 ever slowed me down in snow, in the eight years I owned it.

-Chap

18. ♡myPeeus

♡myPeeus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of us grew up in rural places where NOT driving in snow would cause severe economic and educational hardship. But for able-bodied adults, getting stuck in the snow was normally just an inconvenience, possibly a multi-hour delay, but not a safety threat. On the infrequent occaisions when howling blizzards reached hazardous levels for a couple mile hike, we did stay home.

But simply getting stuck, was just an ordinary occurence. It added to one's experience in being able to navigate the difficulties the next time.
    Often impractical or impossible. Heavy farm equipment worked better and faster.

JStrenk and Prodigyplace like this.
  20. Plug-in Guy

Plug-in Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had never known there was an AWD Prius. I want a Plug-in version to replace my 2014 PiP with Whatever the newest version is before they switched to the Prime. I haven't warmed to its new design. Silly I think. The Hybrid RAV4 gets 31 MPG. A big step back from my current 55 MPG Average. I'm going to keep my Pip another few years and get a 2nd AWD/4 wheel for ski trips. Can I important the AWD Prius. Is that legal?