1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the best oil filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by miniracer, Jun 5, 2007.

1. miniracer

miniracer New Member

I have a 2004 Prius with 40,000 miles. I have always used the Fram PH4967, with a Fumoto drain valve (great product). I now have read on some threads that opinions are not high on Fram, plastic bypass, not much filtering product, etc. What are you using, and why? What are the good filters out there?

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I like the Mobil 1 and K&N filters myself. They are in the $10 range, but to me, that is cheap insurance. Both of them have synthetic filter material which is supposed to provide a finer filtration.

BTW, here is a site where someone compared some of the filters available for the Corolla: http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Mobil 1 was rated as the best, but most expensive. Also recommended were the Purolator PureOne, K&N, Toyota, Wix, and Purolator PremiumPlus.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too always used fram, but was reading how poor they are, my first oil change I bought an OEM Filter, but I used a purolator premium in the wifes beetle this week and we both have noticed a performance gain, so I'm going to switch my prius to one of those next time. The purolator premium (blue filter) retails for approx. $6 - $7.

4. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

Have had great results from Wix & Purolator Pure1 in the past. Currently, will use OEM Toyota.

5. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miniracer @ Jun 5 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]456275[/snapback]</div>

Autozone did have a display of filters with the cans cut. The Fram was pitiful! It looked like the filter media was from a grocery sack. Bobistheoilguy has had a lot of info on oil and filters in the past.

6. kraziewilly

kraziewilly New Member

Best filter bar none... AMZ, use it with their synthetic oil... 25,000 miles...

7. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Currently using an Amsoil Bypass filter and a Bosch filter, but sometimes I will use a Purolator instead of the Bosch. Also use the Fumoto drain valve to make oil changes easier.

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use the Mobil-1 filter but in a larger than stock size of M1-209, fits and works great with larger filtering capacity than stock size. Search for some of the other threads on oil filters.

Wayne

9. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The new Amsoil filters are the best filters made. By a huge margin.

Other "top tier" filters;
    Mobil 1
    K&N
    Purolator Pure One

Next Level
    Wix
    Purolator Prem Plus
    Walmart Supertech

Not worth the money
    Fram

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sad to say but what we are dealing with here is people personal choices are regarding different well known products. ie. K&N, Amsoil, Mobile 1 ect. :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with the stock style from toyota filter? If theres a problem with the toyota filter someone should let them know... ;)

11. westex39

westex39 New Member

I always use the manufactures oil filter as long as I'm under warranty. My reasoning is that if you have a an engine problem there maybe a problem with the dealer and the warranty due to another brand filter. Example, If the filter were to develop a leak and you engine ran low on oil and caused engine damage. They (the dealer) may deny your claim and refer you to the filter maker to pay for the engine damage repair. To me it's not worth the chance that you would have those kind of problems.
    Besides the Toyota filters are a quality filter. I buy them for $5.00 from my dealership. This also gives you a good record of purchase for warranty records.

Cheers

12. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Recently bought a case of ten Toyota ones on ebay for $35 shipped. They are made by Denso. Denso makes good stuff, they apparently make many of the Prius accessory components. Can't go wrong with OE. They have a torque stopper o-ring type gasket that makes it simpler to install /remove. I also like PureOne which is made in USA but is twice the price. Probably the very best one is the original Japanese one that is installed at the factory. But that's a guess. I would buy those if I could find them. The Beck Arnley looks to have a similar can construction to the Japanese one, but what is inside may be very different. The problem is to have good flow yet very fine filtration over 5000 miles, not any easy solution. The OE should flow to specs.

13. GaS

GaS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MickeyA @ Jun 5 2007, 10:45 PM) [snapback]456290[/snapback]</div>
    From what I've read at BITOG, most folks have very high opinions of the Wix, Purolator series (both Pure/Prem) and the OEM toyota filters. Some folks question the anti-drainback valve on the Purolator Premium for extended drains.

The UOA on my Corolla always came back pretty good regardless of which of those I've used.

Once I'm out of the OEM filters, I'll probably move to the Purolator PureOne or Napa Gold/Wix.

14. MickeyA

MickeyA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaS @ Jun 6 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]456575[/snapback]</div>
    YES SIR!

15. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(westex39 @ Jun 6 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]456558[/snapback]</div>
    I forgot what the name of the law is, but it is against the law to disallow warranty work due to aftermarket parts that were part of required maintenance that was performed unless the company also provides it free of charge.
    On that note I agree that the OEM filter is just fine and a good price. Plus picking one up allows me to stop at the dealership near my work that had my sale and lost it when they tried to move me to a corolla with the realistic money I was offering. LOL I get some satisfaction seeing that jerk seeing me in my prius when I stop by and I paid exactly what I offered him across town at the smaller dealership.
    I also have always kept the receipt for my records of both the purchase of the filter and oil and stick it in the maintenance records book, stapling it to the pages seems like a good idea but I haven't done it yet, I think if you ever sell the car it is good reassurance to have that in there for the buyer and if you did need warranty work and they accused you of not changing the filter. (which is one reason you wouldn't want to have that original factory filter part number still on your car)

16. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jun 6 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]456605[/snapback]</div>
    The law is the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and is meant to protect a guy who goes to the Quick Lube down the street and gets a Fram filter instead of a "genuine Toyota filter." In that case, the Toyota dealer can't refuse to fix the engine because the guy used another brand of filter that meets the exact same specifications.

In fact, the law even takes it a step further. If your car is still covered under the new car warranty and a dealer is telling you that you have to use their name brand filter or your new car warranty will be voided, for example, then you should thank him, and inform him that under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act he now has to provide that oil change and filter for free. It is not true that you have to use the dealer for oil changes, even on a brand new car. If dealers say you are required to use their products or else have your warranty voided, then the work is considered warranty work and must be provided for free.

17. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My opinions on the filters above, are based on some tests and opinions of people on Bitog. However, the opinion of the Amsoil is based on very specific particle test that were performed over at Bitog. The guy used a regular oil filter for a few thousand miles, then did a particle count. Then he put on the Amsoil EAo oil filter. Drove a few thousand more miles and the oil was significantly cleaner. He had truly amazing results from the Amsoil filter. You can believe it or not, after all, this is the internet. I truly believe the new Amsoil filters are much better than anything else out there.

OTOH, I do not think it matters much what kind of filter that you use. Today's oils and engines are so advanced, that wear is rarely an issue with engines.

If you want to go bargain, use Supertech oil and a Supertech Oil Filter. (Walmart Brand). It is generally believed that the Supertech Oil is similar to Mobil Clean, and the Supertech Oil Filter is a very good filter manufactured by Champion. Plus the filter only costs $2.10. The oil is about $1.60 per quart.

Our local Kragen Dealers often have Chevron Supreme oil on sale for $0.89 a quart.(with rebate) Chevron supreme is a great oil.

18. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phumpher @ Jun 6 2007, 08:33 AM) [snapback]456442[/snapback]</div>
    How do you have that bypass filter plumbed? Are you using an adaptor on the oil filter mount for the pick-up and return?

19. phumpher

phumpher um...oh...uh...wa...er

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  20. miniracer

miniracer New Member

Thanks for all the information. I think I'll be going back to the OEM filter.