1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the cargo tray made of?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 13Plug, Dec 7, 2012.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i think it's just rubber (i have it)
    keep in mind that it will basically make it impossible to use the under-floor "storage pocket" where the EVSE is normally stored. reaching the battery and tire repair kit also becomes somewhat of a challenge.

3. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have one too, and I like it. It is very rubbery. I may carry some gardening stuff sometimes. The carpet will get messed up easily. BTW, I found the good deal on eBay though. Remember, you should get the one for PIP. The size for the regular Prius is slightly different.

lensovet likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah more likely than not, it's rubber.

I have the carpeted cargo mat (not available in Canada). I don't carry dirty items at all (no soil or fresh fish or any of the sort) so I wanted a nicely finished cargo area. Plus, it's flexible enough to gain access to the bin below.

I've noticed that both the carpeted cargo mat and the rubber all-season floor mats have gone on a diet compared to the ones we have on our 2005. The all-season mats were substantially heavier and the cargo mat a tad thicker than the ones I have in the 2010 Prius.

5. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks now I'm debating between this one and carpet. I think the carpet would look nicer and would be easier to vacuum clean than having nothing. The carpet may also be better at reducing road noise.

The worst thing I carry in the back is plants and if one spills I can vacuum up or use the blanket I keep in the car for those instances.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone got a canvas one i think.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what the plastic bin is for :) Or a cargo net.

8. sewing1

sewing1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just "building" my PIP tonight on Toyota.com and it says:

"all-weather floor mats and cargo tray $200"

"All-Weather Floor Mats - Help protect your Prius Plug-in's original carpet with a set of durable all-weather floor mats. These solid one-piece mats feature a ribbed channel design that helps contain moisture, grease, dirt and other debris. Embellished with a Prius Plug-in logo, the mats are constructed from high-quality 100% recyclable thermoplastic polymer material that resists fading and cracking. Plus they're held firmly in place with a nibbed backing and driver's side quarter-turn fasteners. To avoid interference with pedal operation: Each mat must be secured with quarter-turn fasteners. Do not install a floor mat on top of an existing floor mat. This floor mat was designed specifically for use in this model and model year vehicle and SHOULD NOT be used in any other vehicle. Cargo Tray - Made of a tough, flexible, lightweight material, the cargo tray is uniquely designed to fit your Prius Plug-in, allowing you to carry all types of cargo without worrying about staining the inside of the vehicle. The cargo tray features a molded Prius Plug-in logo, skid resistant surface, and perimeter lip to help contain spills. Cargo and load capacity limited by weight and distribution."

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So in other words, synthetic rubber? Not bad.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...when they say 100% recyclable that makes me think it is polyethylene (HDPE=2/LDPE=4) or polypropylene (PP=5) or Polyester (PET=1). Anything materials other than that I would have no idea where you would go to recycle it. Although if by recycling they mean turn it into plastic wood, I guess other materials would qualify.