1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the current (or last) NAV DVD for gen 2 prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dhorlo, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where can I purchase a legitimate latest copy of the Gen 2 NAV DVD for my Prius?
    My present one is a 2013 -2014 I think.....

iPhone 6s +

2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Unless you can find a Toyota dealer who happens to have one still in stock I'm not sure where you can find a legitimate OEM copy any more. My car still has the original 2008 disc in it. The previous owner never updated it and I saw no reason to even look for a disc since a complete Garmin unit with free lifetime map updates is half the price of a Toyota disc. The Garmin unit has much better information on it regarding points of interest and it's easier to use. I know there are a lot of free and paid GPS apps for the cell phones too but I don't use one because the phone is being used to display Torque Pro information while I'm driving.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the US, the 86271-GEN5x-16 is the last one I know about, came out in late 2016. The US was covered by two discs, your choice of GEN5E or GEN5W, which all cover the same area of land and major roads but with different concentrations of fine detail.

I don't think there's any problem buying it from a dealer.

For the UK, though, I don't know anything about the available discs.

SFO and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi. Modified map versions are still available?
    Is it possible to download from somewhere a certain iso file for Europe?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

SFO likes this.
  5. LukUsc

LukUsc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. Alan Hollingdale

Alan Hollingdale New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Being here in the UK & having read so many posts telling me that I was probably stuck in the era of my 2006 Prius T-Spirit I finally grasped the nettle and bought a disc on eBay 2017/18 TOYOTA &LEXUS E1G SAT NAV DISC UPDATE UK & WEST EUROPE MAP £19.45 inc P&P and it works great!!!!

Data Daedalus, SFO and bisco like this.
  7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone from this part of the world – Australia/NewZealand – this site sells DVDs updates: NAVSHOP.COM.AU | Toyota

They have them for Aurion, Camry, Land Cruiser, Prius, and Prado.

A little bit more than AU/NZ$40.00 (£19.95) though. The way I'd look at this for me personally is that I will only do it once in ten years so that makes the annual fee a lot cheaper and more like what we all did in the days of paper touring maps.

Yeah, I know all the arguments for standalone Nav units with lifetime free updates or using Waze or Maps on your phone.

Just another data point to add to the list. Then it is up to the individual to make the decision that suits them.

#27 dolj, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s interesting that TomTom apparently licenses the map data in NZ but not in USA nor Europe. Making DVDs is not a major capital cost expense so there must be some other reason. If Toyota wanted to sell them, they could get the license. Probably a bogus corporate genius decision. Like people are going to sell there car and buy a new one if their navigation dvd can’t be updated.

Many Prius owners would pay to get the new DVD if it were available. Some would not. I like the large screen on the Prius navigation and use WAZE along side of it for its other features, e.g., traffic and police speed trap alerts.

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So I borrowed a USA version yesterday of this dvd and tried it. Doesn’t work in my 2007. Said dvd unreadable.
    Will see if I can try the earlier version @ChapmanF suggested, above.

10. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A while back I read online a summary of the generation by generation (nav generation, not Prius generation) navigation systems, but cannot seem to find it. I think the Gen2 Prius has a gen5 navigation system. Does anyone have the link to the technical documents? @ChapmanF ? you seem to have everything.

11. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That’s great news! I have the ancient 2014 DVD in my 2008 Prius Tspirit - and I still regularly use the built in SAT NAV on a regular basis - even though I’m fond of Waze too.
    For me, the built in SAT NAV is an integral part of my car and I love the quirkiness it has designed into it - it’s virtually a classic piece of technology in its own right.
    Sometimes, I use it to keep me company on long journeys - the voice comes in handy.
    Is there any difference between the 2014 and 2017/18 Maps content? Anything stand out? Just curious before I take the plunge too.

iPad ? Pro

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think I remember once knowing where to find that summary, but right now I don't. There might even have been more than one "generation" of nav during the second generation of Prius. The nav gen 5 is in the later years of Prius gen 2.

Nav gen 6 was the first couple years of Prius gen 3; the map is on a DVD. After the 2012 mid gen 3 refresh, there were two flavors of nav, one where the map is on an SD card, and one with an internal hard drive (the dealer updates it from a USB stick, but they keep the stick). Prius gen 4 I don't know about.

13. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Gen5 07 (UK) so 2008 US ? facelift with the enhanced screen I believe.

14. Data Daedalus

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I followed your lead shortly after you posted this and went for it anyway. I wasn’t disappointed at all. It worked brilliantly right off the bat.
    So, this is certainly not a hoax.

For that price it does seem a nice little upgrade for my 14 year old (2008) Prius Tspirit - but I like the extra layer of built in navigation for those days when I want to keep my expensive iPhone 12 Pro Max hidden - or forget it inside my bag inside the boot.

I did set it up to take me from London to Bungay, near Great Yarmouth last Friday - it found the location and laid in a course in double quick time - I was impressed of course.

Thank you for your advice

iPhone ?

15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The newer old DVD trick didn’t work for me on my 2007 USA model but it did accomplish one interesting thing. I no longer get the nag screen map on startup, just a second or two warning screen that goes away by itself.

The old map still works as a larger format rough indicator of locational situational awareness but I use WAZE for navigation or my Garmin.

What’s needed is for Toyota to publish device interface code so third parties can implement open source device maps.

16. sat4pita

sat4pita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I lost contact with a developer long time ago. With ongoing war in Ukraine and hundreds of thousands killed and millions of refugees who fled a country I doubt that he is still active in working on 2nd gen Prius navigation.