1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the engine seizes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DavidinNevils, Nov 9, 2021.

1. DavidinNevils

DavidinNevils New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're looking for a replacement engine for a Gen 2 we bought with a bad engine.

Our mechanic says that it the engine were to seize (in the wrong place in the rotation) he would have to destroy something expensive to be able to remove it.

Is this correct or has someone told him something incorrect?

If there's a way to rotate things so the engine may be disengaged - no matter where in the rotation the engine seizes - then we're free to run some active tests before replacing the engine.

Anyone know, please?

Thanks

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've removed/swapped/replaced (whatever) my fair share of engines and transmissions.
    That's the first time I've ever heard that statement.

The only thing I can think of that he may be talking about is when an engine is removed independent from the transmission. Some people will rotate the flywheel using a small access panel at the bottom to remove each bolt fastening a torque converter to the flywheel. If the engine were seized, you would be unable to rotate the flywheel to access the individual bolts. But, in this case, nothing prevents you from unbolting the transmission from the engine and taking the torque converter with the flywheel, it just takes a few more inches of room to get the converter off the transmission shaft splines.

I don't think this applies to your car. I would imagine most would remove the engine and transaxle as a complete unit.