1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the Future of Prius v (yet again for people, it is a lowercase v for the Prius v wagon)

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mrmajors, May 24, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We're assuming it's the same composition. The problem with Li-Ion is that it's a generic name. The electrolyte is the part that's different, right?

2. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, and there's also other active materials that change, IIRC. Although, I'd imagine that Toyota learned a lot about Li-ion chemstries with that one...

If you're worried about electrolyte composition, though, my guess is it's changed for the NiMH battery in the Gen 4, too, given that they've enhanced its performance...

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I think maybe Toyota changed the Li a bit...of course NiMH can change a bit too. Gen3 batt fails seem low compared to Gen2 to me

4. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looking at the sales numbers for the v from Toyota for November 2016 showing a year-to-date sales decrease of 48% compared to 2015, I can't imagine Toyota putting the money into a new version of the v. I'm betting it is finished after the 2017 model year.

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If Toyota were GM I would agree but I would hope Toyo has longer vision than 2 years at a time.

parnami likes this.
  6. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Exactly! In two years, I'll be in the market to replace my v. Currently, there's nothing else on the market I'd consider. If Toyota discontinued the v, they'd force me to consider compromise models sold by competitors.

7. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Parnami - I am where you are. In two years I will be in the market for a new v. Hopefully, a GEN II v that offers Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Blind Spot Detection will be available then. I purchased a 2012 Prius v Five in 2011, when the v wagons were first introduced. I am at 55,000 odo miles, 49.8 Lifetime MPG, just put on new Michelin Premiere A/S tires, and have had zero, nada, zilch maintenance problems on it.

As I have written here on PriusChat and elsewhere, I consider the Pv5 to be a "Caddie In A Kimono." Toyota hit the "Sweet Spot" (my sweet spot, at least) when they rolled the Pv5 down the ways at Toyota Town. If no GEN II Prius v shows up to replace it by Model Year 2019, I likely will go over to one of the Subies w/ EyeSight™ driver assistance system.

parnami likes this.
  8. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Wow, you and I are in complete synch, right down to what I'd like in my replacement v. I, too, got mine in 2011, shortly after they were introduced and the thing is darned near perfect with zero maintenance issues and all the space inside about which I could dream. I'd hope Toyota wouldn't be so foolish as to throw away all of the well deserved goodwill they've earned with their Prius line. After all, gas prices won't remain low, forever. My other car is a smart which I'd love to replace that with a next generation c as well.

Sooner Al and DonD like this.
  9. stephane

stephane Prius v owner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    v is nice but Toyota dont seem to want to sell it. Bad classification this car is not a wagon and dont look like a wagon wagon dont sell in North america why the hell call it a wagon. They need to do a bit of marketing this car push as a SUV crossover will sell if the right buyer look at it. Finally the 2015 and up for me are a downgrade in look. Even this forum is wrong calling it a wagon

10. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Stephane - I agree, the 2015 v's and up are a step down in appearance. Do not blame this forum or its participants for calling the v a wagon, "Wagon" is what it is officially dubbed. If it is any consolation, my wife choses to call it a "SUV," even when I keep telling her it is a "Wagon." As I said, to me the v is a "Caddie In A Kimono." It is possible that this "Perfect People & Stuff Haulin' Hybrid Fuel-Sipper" is viewed by some at Toyota as a sales threat to the gas swilling, but money-making Sienna van. It is clear that Toyota treats the 1.8-Liter powered Prius v like an unfavored sister. Even a loaded v5, has no Rear Cross Traffic Alert & Blind Spot Monitor aboard. Toyota seems to favor and push the less fuel efficient hybrid RAVs & Highlanders with the larger, thirstier 2.5L 4-Cylinder & 3.5-Liter V6 Engines.

#50 catgic, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  11. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The problem is that "MPV" isn't really a class in the US, and compact minivans (Mazda5) don't sell all that well either. And, the Prius v doesn't have sliding doors, which in the US are effectively a requirement to be called a minivan and have the market believe you.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Seriously? I can't believe anyone thinks the Prius v and Sienna compete against each other.

We have both a 2012 Prius v Five and a 2014 Sienna Limited - both with all options including advanced tech package although the ATP on the Sienna is more sophisticated. I can assure you that the Prius v does not compete in any way with the Sienna. Our Prius v Five is a small, loud, fairly cramped MPV that can at best carry four adults and a limited amount of cargo.

Our Sienna Limited is a large luxury MPV (van) with three zone climate control, power folding mirrors, two opening sunroofs, second row ottoman style seats with footrests, third row power reclining seats, dual screen rear entertainment system, blinds on the second and third row windows, power rear side doors and hatch, and substantially more cargo space than a Chevy Suburban. Our Prius can't tow "squat". Our Sienna has a factory towing package, a class III trailer hitch and can tow an Airstream trailer. The ride of our Prius v can be described as "choppy" at best. Our Sienna Limited with it's 119+ inch wheelbase has a plush ride as nice as a Lexus LS of which we have had several.

My wife likes the Prius v for its small size and maneuverability. She dislikes driving the Sienna due to its much larger size although it has more safety features. My wife uses the Prius v as a "town car" but it is not something we take on highway trips ... did that once ... never again.

#52 Offline, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    ems2158 likes this.
  13. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Offline - Seriously? I can't believe anyone thinks the 3,973 lb, 19 City/27 Highway EPA MPG Sienna is not a gas-swilling van, and the 3,340 lb, 43 City/39 Highway EPA MPG Prius v is not the Perfect People & Stuff Haulin' Hybrid Fuel-Sipper.

parnami likes this.
  14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's not - because it's lacking a third-row for the versions available in the US. I never even went and looked at one for that reason.

15. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You are not getting my or Lee Jay's point. The Prius v is limited to carrying five people. The Sienna and most other "minivans" are designed to carry seven or eight people. For many of us, it comes down to choosing between using one vehicle (e.g. Sienna) or two vehicles (two Prius v?) to carry more than five people.

If we were to use our Prius v for a typical family outing, a second vehicle would be required. Our Sienna has room for all six of us. Disregarding fuel economy, who would prefer to do use a caravan of two vehicles to carry six or more people and sometimes pay to park two vehicles when everyone could ride in just one vehicle? It's not only about the money spent on fuel. Think of the convenience and social aspect of having everyone in just one vehicle.

If I had to carry 10 people on a regular basis, I certainly wouldn't buy two 5-passenger Prius v. I would instead buy something like a Mercedes Sprinter or Nissan NV 12-passenger van.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And I chose a Mazda5, which is just about exactly the same size as a Prius v, but with a third row of seats. It cost half as much as a Sienna and gets around 50% better mileage. If Toyota had brought the 7-seat v to the US, I would likely have bought one. But our two cars are going to be a Prime and a Mazda5.

17. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We looked at a few small to medium SUVs with third row seating and decided against them because it was simply too hard to get in the third row. We had two Dodge/Plymouth mini-vans over the last 18 years and quickly decided for a compromise between higher gas mileage (my requirement) and similar to the van cargo space (my wife's requirement). The Prius v fits that profile to a "T" for us so to speak.

FWIW...Most of the folks we have in the car with us are fellow senior citizens...

18. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Offline, Lee Jay & Et Al Others Who Will Not Give Love To The Prius v - To properly and fairly critique and evaluate the North American Prius v, one must judge it for what it is, not for what it is not. If one needs a bus, I agree the v is not a bus. However, if one needs a limousine, it is a great one with beaucoup inches of front and rear passenger leg and hip room. Here is a case where Mrs. Offline is more smarter than is Mr. Offline. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed knowz the Prius v is a "town car" (i.e. Limo).

The Driver & Front Passenger seats are very comfortable, and the contiguous areas, thereto, have generous amounts of room. Most importantly, the v also passes my wife’s “Can It Handle & Haul A Washing Machine Home From The Big Box Store?” Test with flying colors. All the other members of the Prius Family fail this test.

The Lifetime MPG delivered by my v, over five years & 55 Kmiles, continues to run at 50± MPG indicated. All you lover-drivers of the Sienna, Mazda5, and similar gas-guzzler haulers, tell me what the contents of your wallet looks like at the end of each month.

I shall stand with, and ride with my “Caddie In A Kimono” assessment of the Prius v.

parnami likes this.
  19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My primary car is a 2004 Prius averaging 52mpg over 144,000 miles. The problem with a v (Again and again, it is a lowercase v for the Prius v wagon. Only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman Numerals for model designation) for me is, it doesn't do anything useful versus my 2004 for me. If it were our second car we'd often be taking it and my 2004 because we need to haul 6 people, which would result in an average mileage around 25MPG, which is far worse than what I get with the Mazda5 alone, not to mention a substantial hassle.

#59 Lee Jay, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  20. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You guys are fighting from different use histories.

Does the Mazda 5 haul 5 or 6 people and all their beach gear for a week or so (six suitcases, 4 chairs, 2 surfboards, one beach umbrella, one bag of sand toys, one bag of beach towels, several bags of groceries, you get the idea..? For that..the mini-van. I rent one. 3 people to the mountains for a week, my v. Wife and I to the city 50 or 250 miles away, she argues for her plush-mobile. I give in on the longer drive. Sometimes you win by losing.

Does the Sienna get as good mileage? Heck no. But my 6 (sometimes 8 person) older son's family uses a 120k miles one, with a 110k miles Prius and a newish v in the family also. The Sienna will get replaced by a Sienna. They buy used and the Pacifica Hybrid won't probably be in the used market by the time their Sienna needs replacing.

Different tools for different needs.

(Nothing against Mazda. Owned 2. Bought Toyo Kogo stock in the 70s when the Wankel engine was gonna be the next great thing. Great cars, stock not so.)

Prodigyplace likes this.