1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured What is the Most Comfortable Plug-In Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kenmce, Sep 19, 2022.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Forgive me dear reader, for this is a question rather than news. Of all the various plug-in hybrids out there, not just our beloved Toyota, which is the one that is physically most comfortable?

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For a guess from experience with their ICE models, Volvo and Polestar are likely contenders.

3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    That really depends a LOT on your body. I can tell you that my Prius Prime Advanced has a very comfortable driver's seat for a 190 LB guy who has a 31 inch inseam and stands 5'10" tall. I drive over 500 miles a day once or twice a month.

Keep in mind that most seats feel OK for the first hour. But some develop hot spots as you tit there all day. My wife's car starts to become downright painful at the 9 hour mark. There are a few places on the hip bones that are not well padded.

TGrracie and jerrymildred like this.
  4. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Someone would have to try them all on both short and long trips in both hot and cold conditions.
    And then they'd have to be about the same size as you

Mike

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Available only from the used market, our BMW i3-REx is easy to get in and out of. The seat height is just right. But it is a 4-seater and the rear seats are accessed by 'suicide' doors.

Bob Wilson

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Is there a price range?

As @Trollbait referenced Volvo my family checked out a XC90 Recharge (PHEV) that starts at $71,900. The base model once you sort out which one that is does not come with the optional Swarovski crystal shift knob...

Then there are several Porsche PHEV models to choose from....

REVVL V+ 5G ?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Avalon is highly rated for comfortable seating and spacious for any size people

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Volvo just had some of the most comfortable seats, not just car, that I ever sat in. heard the same of Saab.
    For me, Toyota is some of the worse.
    But no plug, and the car itself is no more.

bisco likes this.
  9. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Niro Plug in has heated/ventilated seats, power adjustable seats with adjustable lumbar support as well as lower leg support. Material is a comfortable mix of outside leather support and breathable interior material. Good exterior support.
    Height is a slide in slide out height not the having to step up and out of the seat.

As with almost all vehicle the type of seat is dependent on the type of model you purchase.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The MB EQS has built-in massage which is pretty sweet .... but even if you CAN afford $125K cars - if you're on a long drive, do you really want the comfort to lull you into unconsciousness?

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    PHEVs, or do pure electrics count?...

REVVL V+ 5G ?

12. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Upon re-reading this post... The question was not restricted to the seats, right? It could also apply to the back seats, the ergonomics of finding the proper controls while driving, the loading and unloading of bulky or heavy loads, etc.

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I like your original post on this subject. My wife and I differ by 6 inches and a fair amount of mobility. She prefers a different type of car than I do. That includes seats, ingress/egress. Fortunately the controls are sufficiently similar that we can adapt to them. And she will ride in mine for short trips. But for 4-5 hours jaunts, wants hers.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's not a plug-in but (I hope) will be in the next iteration: Sienna hybrid.

I've done at least five 1,000 mile days in the driver's seat (approx. 13-15 hrs) and be ready to do it again the next morning that led to approx. 15k miles in 4 months! The drivers position is very well thought out (8 cup holders within arm reach), multi-adjustable heating/cooling seats, super-easy ingress/egress, and 550+ mile highway range makes those long days possible.

I think the Prime has a really comfy seating position but it has the low ingress/egress of a sedan that counts it out in this contest.

My old C-max is VERY comfy too (ingress/egress is really, really good for a car) but its hard leather and other hard contact points, which are wearing well after all these years, count it out too.

jzchen likes this.