1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Is The One Thing You Would Change?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HybridKingdom, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My sister has a 2002 Prius and will not buy a new one because they are too big. So I think you get to a point where you loose buyers if you make it wider.

So far the only change I would make is to get rid of the back-up beep. Everything else I'm getting use to.

Dave in OlyWA has 13,664 post! People in Olympia are nuts.

TED

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know that the new Prius is still 3 inches shorter than the Corolla, right?

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1. The Corolla is a skyscraper.

If you want to make your Prius look wider, you need to lower it.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As someone who has driven only manual trannys for the past couple decades, I would hate the linear PRNDB pattern. Even though the last time I touched a real 3-On-The-Tree pattern on a car was 32 years ago, the Prius rendition of it still has a natural feel.

5. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wish I could summarize in one sentence what I would change on the 2010 Prius, but unfortunately I can't, so here goes nothing:

1- I would change the quality of the dash board and door panel plastics. In the 2010, they are very hard and easy to crack and or scratch. I hope Toyota does what they did with the second generation Prius. In the '04-'05 Prius', they had a lower resolution screen, back-up camera wasn't an option, nor was leather. The top part of the door panels in the '04-'05 Prius was very hard and super easy to scratch. In the '06-'09 Prius, the door panels and dash board was wrapped in a material of some sort, but had a wooden look to it to make it look higher quality and better feeling.

2- I would change that crappy energy monitor. Who the heck thought of that? It's a vacuum florescent display that's so hard to understand and read. Hopefully, Toyota will make that an LED or liquid crystal display that's actual color...kinda like the Ford Fusion Hybrids screen's by the speedometer.

3- I think that if you get the navigation, that you should get the option to see an energy monitor and consumption screen. Also, make it higher resolution like the second generation. The second generation has a 640p screen, while the third generation has a 480p.

4- I don't like the center console where the gear lever is. My knee hit it quite often when I'm riding in Brads 2010. I want it to be like the first or second generation Prius and feel open and roomy.

5- Change the keyless entry fob. It's cheap compared to the second generation.

6- I think all Prius models should have a back-up camera as standard equipment. The way the back is shaped, you need one.

That's all I can think of for now.

6. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    6- I think all Prius models should have a back-up camera as standard equipment. The way the back is shaped, you need one

If you need back up camera, you should get driving lessons

I dont think many transport have back up cameras, they do not appear to many problems

7. Mr. D

Mr. D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would love to have a place for my spare change like I have on my Highlander Hybrid

8. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that people should not rely on a backup camera. Nothing is more safe than an alert driver. I do use it when I'm backing into a spot to confirm how close I am to the obstruction behind me. It's a neat thing to have but not necessary.

Transport trucks don't hang around residential areas where kids, kids' toys, bicycles, or pets might be a hazard.

9. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just think it would be more attractive if the body height:width ratio is closer to (but not at) 1:1. I like the height of the rear bumper because I love the rear 3/4 view. The high rear bumper and the angled beltline wedges the car forward. I also like the side view because the front and rear overhangs are short and makes the car look stockier.

I've thought about spacers for the rear hubs to push out the rear wheels a 1cm or so but in the end, I'm not really a mods-guy. Lowering it would just be out of the question also considering my climate.

EDIT: I had a closer look and the car is wider than tall so ignore my 1:1 assessment. And maybe not 3" wider but just "slighty" would be ok.

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The driving standards here are waaaaaay different than they are in Europe (and to a lesser extent) Canada.
    Believe me..... they need them here.

Backup cameras are, what...$50 worth of hardware?
    FWIW I agree that an alert and properly experienced driver doesn't "need" one, but they can be a viable backup (no pun intended) to mirrors and a properly trained driver.
    Like TPMS, and (soon) vroom-vroom generators for PHEVs/EV's---they'll be mandatory soon---especially with the "jellybean with a spoiler" styling that's necessary for aerodynamics.

11. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think it's hard to see out the back of a Prius? Try driving a Toyota Troop Carrier!![​IMG]

12. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's not that I don't know how to park or drive, I'm great at it actually.
    I'm not going to be one of those people who complain about the split back window, but it's just the way the hatch is shaped, I feel worried that I may hit something. I never rely on my back-up camera come to speak of it, I use my side mirrors, rear view mirror, I turn around and look side to side, and then look at the screen once to make sure there isn't something behind me I didn't see.

13. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that's what I meant, even though I do not rely on it, it's handy to have. When I'm parking, or just backing up, I use my side mirrors, rear view mirror, I turn around to look at the back, then once I've confirmed that everything is clear, I always take a glance at the back-up camera to make sure I didn't miss something. It wouldn't be asking for a whole lot to have Toyota make this as standard equipment and it wouldn't have to be on a big fancy screen either, it could be in the rear view mirror like some other cars have it, unless you get the navigation, then it would obliviously be on that screen instead.

14. That_Prius_Car

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, I wanted to point out that I may not be the BEST driver out there. :D
    I do have to say though, I think I'm one of the better 16 year old drivers though. I'm always looking ahead, my dad always told me, you can never look too far ahead. He also said "You know what your doing, Austin. You just never know what the other person is going to do."

15. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Most transports aren't maneuvering in high speed kid infested neighborhoods. I installed mine to save little kids lives; I can back the car just fine.

16. SpecK73

SpecK73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing that I don't like about the Prius so far is the awful 'handbrake' that's operated by your left foot. Having a foot operated handbrake forced me to alter my driving style somewhat.

Can't see any value at all in having that clunky foot-operated handbrake.

17. Ted in Olympia

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to see the key-less entry unlock other doors besides the driver's door. I kind of got used to not having to use a key or even a button but to sometimes I like to get in the hatch first. So it would be nice if I walked up to the rear hatch it would open for me when I touch the handle. Also true for the driver's side door.

I know I can use the remote and touch the button but most of the time I walk to the driver's door, open it, and then walk to the door I want to get into.

TED

18. SpecK73

SpecK73 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    G'day Ted,

If you watch this video (the system would not allow me to paste a URL I am sorry):

YouTube - 2010 Toyota Prius: Smart Key

You might find that the information at 01:34 regarding personalising the keyless entry system might allow you to get it working exactly the way you'd like.

19. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't mind being a few inches taller.

20. Ted in Olympia

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks K73 here's the link

It says the feature is available but only on select models. I guess my Prius ii is not one of them.

Thanks

TED

1 person likes this.