1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the part # for this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gnarly, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Gnarly

Gnarly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone,

Could someone help me identify this bulb by part number or what the name is? The light bulb where the tinted area is. Is it the brake light? If it's the brake light, is there a YouTube video on how to replace it without having to buy the whole assembly like someone did on YouTube? Thank you in advance.

IMG_20191113_185637.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bless my soul, that looks like a picture of a rear combination light from an early Gen 2 ... the ones where the brake lights looked black when off, and continued the line of the black lower glass in the hatch.

The cool thing about those is it wasn't done with a tint. That lens is water clear, just as in the two lower sections. And the reflectors are plain silver mirrors. They just happen to be aimed at a black surface below them, so you see black when the LEDs aren't lit.

[​IMG]

So, because that section uses LEDs built into the assembly, rather than a replaceable light bulb, if the LEDs really aren't working, there's no official fix other than replacing the assembly. I think some people have taken it apart and done soldery stuff to replace LEDs.

Of course, check all the wiring and connections leading to it, before deciding the combination light is the problem.

Gnarly likes this.
  3. Gnarly

Gnarly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Will any part from the web work? My main concern with picking up a non-OEM part is that it'll affect some electrical part down the wiring harness line. I'm probably being paranoid about that.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd think for Gen 2 parts, recyclers would be a favorite source for such things these days. You get an OEM part, and cheap. If you're afraid it's old and might fail soon, buy two. :)