1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the plastic thing on windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Coast Cruiser, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Geo.

I don't have automatic wipers. No automatic high beams... No automatic nothin'. I didn't get the "Technology Package."

My Three model just came with Navigation, floor mats, and a gas pedal! :ROFLMAO: :D

(Oh, and when I'm driving South? The Nav map and arrow are pointing to the left, or East! I wish the little arrow was pointing "up" all the time... in the direction I'm driving. Can't win 'em all, I guess.)

#21 Coast Cruiser, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Geo13647 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should be able to change that in 'settings'. although, mu gps allows true north or traveling direction 'up'. no east or west, unless you are traveling those directions.

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Push the compass icon in the upper left part of the screen. It toggles back and forth between north up and your current setting

4. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think so - I believe that's used for the climate control - not the headlights.

My 2010 had that, and it did not have any auto headlight features. I believe this is also clearly spelled out in the manual,

5. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NPR is all "native advertising." That is, vendors will package up slick content and subtly link it to their product or service. Very biased information, not trustworthy, and definitely a sophisticated commercial.

Many "news" stories are created the same way. At Christmas time, you hear on the news about an "anonymous" gentleman that goes to a Walmart store and pays off all of the layaway purchases for people at a single store. It gets on the news, makes Walmart look great and gets their name in the news, and encourages people to layaway, because that man may come to their store ....

For the NPR stories, NPR is actually paid to "host" the content. Scary, huh?

bisco likes this.
  6. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, eric. Whatever that little dome thing is, I had it in my two Camrys, too. And those cars didn't have any auto climate control. I'll throw a couple dark rags over it, and see if the headlights come on. :cool:

And thanks Kevin and bisco. I need to go back and revisit my owner's manual for the 8th time.

How do you guys use the "quote" feature when replying to someone? I press the "" button, but nothing happens. Thanks.

7. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A quick scan through the manual finds (on p 522) that the item at top of window is a humidity sensor, I think:

upload_2016-3-28_21-18-42.png

8. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought that the one on the dash measured solar based radiation - and "steps up" the A/C when the sun is intense. However, now that I've looked, I note that I can't find anything to support this thought... ;-)

9. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    eric, You have the '16 Prius Three model, like mine. I found the "headlight control sensor" information on page 245 of our owner's manual. There's a drawing with an arrow pointing to the sensor on the dash.
    And this is what the part looks like. It detects the level of ambient light when we have our light switch set in the "auto" position.
    image.jpg
    When using the auto setting, The DRLs will switch over to the regular headlights when it gets dark enough. And the tail lights will come on too.

eric1234 likes this.
  10. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK - looks like I might be wrong - that dash-mounted sensor is related to the headlights (and maybe air conditioner, too??) From Page 245 of the manual:

upload_2016-3-28_21-30-59.png

11. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes :)

12. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok eric, now to the IMPORTANT question.

Does your new Prius Three seem to have a higher than normal amount of tire noise? Road noise? And do you have the TOYO tires?

13. Jigfisr

Jigfisr New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm glad someone identified the thing on the windshield. I recently bought a 2016 Prius Three, not III because only 2010 used uppercae roman numerals for model designation, and had no idea what it was. I probably would have found it in the manual. I've been too busy just trying to figure out all of the displays on the dash and screen, not to mention what "mode" I need to be using. Sirius has sent two "urgent" emails so far wanting me to respond. I've had this car foe less than a week and I'm not sure I care about paying to listen to their radio

14. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome, jigfisr. You get the same question. Have you driven your new Three enough yet, to notice the tire noise? You have TOYO tires on yours?

I never gave the dealer my email address. I guess I won't be hearing from the "pay-to-listen" folks. ;)

(And why do we need a "fog/humidity detector device" mounted on the windshield?! I never needed one in my previous 45 years of driving! And as far as I know, it hasn't activated my climate control in any manner.)

#34 Coast Cruiser, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  15. Jigfisr

Jigfisr New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I've definitely noticed the tire noise. I've driven a truck for years and just figured the noise was due to being so close to the road. I just checked and I have Bridgestone tires. I sure don't need a fog detector. Mine doesn't even have fog lights, just those cheap looking black eye patches where the fog lights should be. I thought I would like to have fog lights, just because they look a lot better than the black plastic. I called my dealership and they said Toyota doesn't offer lights for the III. I asked whether the fog lights for the touring model would work in the III and he said he didn't think the wiring harness was compatible.
    When he said the fog lights were over $300 each, I quit asking questions.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it adjusts a/c when you have defrost on.

17. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's funny. "Black eye patches." I don't have fog lights either. Why couldn't they paint those patches the same color as the car?

I've seen other conversations in these forums, about getting fog lights. Not sure if anyone succeeded yet.

So, your Bridgestone tires are noisy, are they??? I'll trade you for my TOYO's!

Don't know, bisco. But all the climate control functions seem to work just fine.

"Penelope" is starting to grow on me…

#37 Coast Cruiser, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
    krmcg likes this.
  18. Jigfisr

Jigfisr New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've ran Bridgestone's for years on my Avalanche and they have served me well. Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to give them a try on my new "toy".

19. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Road Noise: It's better than the 2010, as is the handling. Of course, "Road Noise" is a largely subjective discussion (unless you've got one of those expensive, high-tech noise meters).

Tires: Mine came with Bridgestone Ecopias. At an average of 20k miles/year, it won't be too long before they'll get changed out. Overall, they seem just fine to me.

Humidity sensor on windshield: this is there (presumably) to detect the humidity level near (at) the windshield. I think this is a very good idea, as it can pre-emptively react to high humidity near the windshield by engaging the compressor (which will work to de-humidify the air.) A clear windshield is a safe windshield, and if it can be maintained as such *before* any driver interaction is necessary, that's one less on-road distraction.

I'm a big fan of Toyota's automatic climate control system. I loved it in my 2010, and I think it continues to work splendidly in the 2016. I believe the addition of the humidity sensor at windshield level (I think that the 2010 included one somewhere in the ducting) was a good plan on the part of Toyota engineers. It may be "new" but that doesn't make it a bad idea - same could be said for electric power steering, ABS, Traction Control, etc...

Overall, (especially if you're new to the Prius) you'll find that it is a superbly engineered vehicle. Trust in the engineers - they've carefully considered most of the changes... :) (Yes, I'm an engineer, too - so it's admittedly a bit of professional bias and deference).

Enjoy!
    Eric

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  20. Coast Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent commentary, Eric. I have yet to try the auto climate control system. I'll have to give it a whirl.

You driving 20 K per year, is certainly a worthy test for any vehicle. And I agree, the Prius is an mechanical engineering marvel. (My Toyo tires, notwithstanding. :rolleyes:)
    Take care. Thanks.

#40 Coast Cruiser, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016