1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the point of being at this site when....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by kettledrum, Aug 15, 2007.

1. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's a site dedicated to the TiVo. In it, like most forum sites, there is an off topic forum. This forum is the most popular there, and there are *many* people who only visit it.

For the most part, TiVo is what brought people to the site. But honestly, how much can you talk about TiVo? Much like the discussion here, the TiVo-related forums are mostly people asking for help, people giving help, people complaining, and people praising.

The off topic forum ends up covering the same basic topics... there are people asking for and giving help, complaining about things (often drivers or grammar), and yes, even praising things. None of which have to do with TiVo. TiVo is just the common thread between most of the people there. I say most, because there is a good number of people that joined because of the off topic forum.

I think any narrow-focused site (Prius, TiVo) with an off topic forum will end up with people who only read the off topic forum. There just isn't that much to talk about. Someone joins looking for help (or whatever), as they are posting/reading the on topic forums, they visit the off topic one. Eventually, their need for the on topic forum lessens, but they've gotten themselves involved in the conversations in the off topic one.

Now, are people who only contribute in an off topic forum a problem? Not really. It isn't as if the Prius forums here are growing cobwebs while everyone is off in FHOP.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FourOhFour @ Aug 18 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]498457[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, blah blah blah . . . whatever. :rolleyes:
    But what do those TiVo people have to say about the Prius and us Prii drivers? <_<

j/k :lol: :p

3. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As most of my posts are in FHOP, I can say that I enjoy the political discussions and religious discussions, that in other forums dedicated to those pursuits, can often burn fast, and mean, while here, it's not as vicious.

That being said, go suck an egg.

;)

4. FourOhFour

FourOhFour Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Aug 18 2007, 10:21 PM) [snapback]498515[/snapback]</div>
    Opinions are mixed, but there are a few Prius drivers over there.

Now, are there any TiVo people over here?

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PC is a community. It's filled with nutters and sane people on all sides of every issue. FHOP is a giant blackhole. I try to stay away from it because it has a nasty habit of pulling me in and not letting me out.

6. peldering

peldering New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :( Totally agree......I am going to the site for Prius info....NOT something else...it should be seperated from this site or we should have an "opt out" provision. :unsure: OpaPaul

7. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OpaPaul @ Aug 19 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]498750[/snapback]</div>
    You make it sound like it isn't already. If you don't want to read non-Prius topics, then stay out of FHOP. Simple enough?