1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is the "real" trunk size?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by xerces8, Aug 10, 2020.

1. xerces8

xerces8 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!

I'm considering a Prius but am puzzled about the trunk (cargo/boot/luggage) size.

Each (web) source I check has different numbers. I'll just list them (ordered by size, all are official Toyota sales catalogs, in parenthesis I put whatever comments the data had):

- Slovenia [1]: 343 litres (upright seats, to the shelf)
    - Austria [2] : 457 litres (no spare tire, 4WD)
    - Italy [3]: 502 litres (VDA; for AWD it lists 457 lites)
    - USA [4] : 776 litres (EPA cargo volume, 27.4 cu. ft.)) / with spare tire: 696 litres (24.6 cubic foot)

So, AWD takes away a bit, so does the spare tire. But still, what are the differences from 343 litres to 500 and finally 776?
    Is there a definitive source? Some review?

Links to the data: apparently I'm not allowed to post links, so you'll have to just believe me (or find the web pages, they are all official toyota country sites)

2. xerces8

xerces8 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found more detailed information for the plug-in version (Prime in USA) on the Slovenian page:

to shelf, seats up: 191 liter
    to roof, seats up: 359 liter
    to roof, seats down: 1204 liter
    to shelf, seats down: 702 liter

compared to "to shelf, seats up" value of regular Prius (343 L) that gives a 152 liter difference (I'll assume the only difference between the cargo space of those two cars is in the floor height of the trunk), which added to above numbers gives:

to shelf, seats up: 343 liter
    to roof, seats up: 521 liter
    to roof, seats down: 1356 liter
    to shelf, seats down: 854 liter

Makes a bit more sense. But still not clear.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Measuring a cargo area for an SUV/Estate/Hatchback is always controversial because of the different ways that it can be measured as you've listed (to the shelf, to the roof, absolute volume or standardised square boxes)

VDA uses standardised square boxes. I believe the US lists absolute maximum volume (e.g. if you were to fill it with air or water) up to the roof with the seats up (so it includes all the space to the side whilst VDA doesn't include that since those boxes won't fit)

kc5dlo and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Litres are deceptive.

You really need to go look at the model you're interested in. PRIUS (with a spare mini-tyre) boot suits me fine as, though it hasn't got a lot of height, it has a large flat floor space. I'm always wanting "hectares" rather than height. Picking up the grandchildren from school for instance - they've got stuff they don't want to pile on top of each other. Or taking garden gear to Mum's to mow etc - I need "hecatares" - I can't stack a mower on top of a blower and trimmer.

Have a look at one - and assess from there.

bisco and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. take some items with you and put them in to see how they fit. i put my recycling bins in prime and that's why i don't own one.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I also went to the dealership as a last-step in choosing with a bicycle that I wanted to see fit into the rear (with the rear seats down). Once it fit (easily), that was the last deciding factor I had for it.

Of course my previous concerns were more important, but those narrowed my choices down to two cars, then between the drivetrain (same system, changed but not by much each step, that has been in use for 20 years of Priuses) and the cargo, the Prius won out.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The prius cargo space in general is limited by the aerodynamic sloping camback design. While its volume can be considered fairly large by measurements, the slope can severely limit what is carried WITH the hatch closed. This chair would have fit in, say, a Rav4.

IMG_5301.jpeg

8. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I would simply adore a Gen4 Prius that was a station-wagon. It would be bigger than the previous model of station wagon.

That stated, I have never needed the extra space. I'm consistently amazed at what I can fit back there without things hitting the rear glass.

9. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cavernous...

alanclarkeau likes this.